Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,250 Center Console Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own and use the the Probasto model I posted about above.

Ah, well, you didn't say you were putting a 30 oz top-heavy Tervis tumbler with a skinny base and wide mouth into a holder designed for coffee cups, soda cans and a water bottle. In that case, a $500 - $1200 console is the best option (I guess) to hold a $30 cup, among other things..

Agreed. You can basically use just about any other console insert and it will handle 30oz tumblers which is a pretty popular option for carrying beverages these days. Personally, I take a 30oz tumbler with ice water in it with me just about everywhere so this was a deal breaker for me. Others may not care but know that you limit your options should you ever change your mind. There were other instances where this was an issue that may affect others reading this but this was the most common example for me personally. It's basically a flimsy piece of rubber so plan accordingly and you may not be let down.

I tried just about every center console insert starting with this one (lowest price) and working my way up through the ranks before settling on the Taptes OEM knock-off insert. I have two of them and both have issues and the company isn't fun to work with for said issues. I'm ultimately satisfied with my purchase but I would have preferred buying products w/o issues and not having to deal with their unresponsive customer service.

That being said, you save quite a bit over OEM so if I was in this same boat I would consider them again although I might just save a little more money and wait for a used OEM one to come up on the market as they do from time to time and I imagine this will become more frequent as more used cars that had them hit the trade/sale floor.

Also, that rubber one just looks terrible in the car if I'm being totally honest. The OEM is the only one that looked right in the car. The rest just looked like something you threw in which isn't the look most are going for in a six-figure-car. The rubber one looks alright in the photos but once you flop it down in the car it just looks stupid. If you put anything in them (which you will since that's the point of a console insert) they slide around unless you have the carpet bottom but if you have the smoother yacht floors you'll be fighting it under corners, acceleration & deceleration; basically the worst possible times to have your attention taken away.

Bottom line is if it's within the budget and you need something like right now the OEM one is worth the price tag relative to the price tag many are paying for a new Model S. Just my two cents adjusted for inflation.

Now put a 30oz tumbler in the cup holder and drive around for a few days the way you normally would.. The tumbler will fall over under normal circumstances. They're all the same. None of them is any different or better than the other. Buy the cheapest version of this with a good return policy and see for yourself that they're junk.

I’ve had mine forever and I’d say it’s probably the most sturdy cup holder I’ve had in any car. Very heavy weight silicone. Different strokes I guess, but for me the whole concept of this is perfect for the yacht floor, spot to prop up and charge phones, storage spots, sunglass spot, etc.

Agreed. You can basically use just about any other console insert and it will handle 30oz tumblers which is a pretty popular option for carrying beverages these days. Personally, I take a 30oz tumbler with ice water in it with me just about everywhere so this was a deal breaker for me. Others may not care but know that you limit your options should you ever change your mind. There were other instances where this was an issue that may affect others reading this but this was the most common example for me personally. It's basically a flimsy piece of rubber so plan accordingly and you may not be let down.

I tried just about every center console insert starting with this one (lowest price) and working my way up through the ranks before settling on the Taptes OEM knock-off insert. I have two of them and both have issues and the company isn't fun to work with for said issues. I'm ultimately satisfied with my purchase but I would have preferred buying products w/o issues and not having to deal with their unresponsive customer service.

That being said, you save quite a bit over OEM so if I was in this same boat I would consider them again although I might just save a little more money and wait for a used OEM one to come up on the market as they do from time to time and I imagine this will become more frequent as more used cars that had them hit the trade/sale floor.

Also, that rubber one just looks terrible in the car if I'm being totally honest. The OEM is the only one that looked right in the car. The rest just looked like something you threw in which isn't the look most are going for in a six-figure-car. The rubber one looks alright in the photos but once you flop it down in the car it just looks stupid. If you put anything in them (which you will since that's the point of a console insert) they slide around unless you have the carpet bottom but if you have the smoother yacht floors you'll be fighting it under corners, acceleration & deceleration; basically the worst possible times to have your attention taken away.

Bottom line is if it's within the budget and you need something like right now the OEM one is worth the price tag relative to the price tag many are paying for a new Model S. Just my two cents adjusted for inflation.

I see what you are saying about personal preferences and such. I personally didn’t want to spend $500 to $1200 to hold my cups, sun glasses and a bunch of crap. I don’t use the very large tumblers because they are so large. However, you keep saying that these trays are flimsy items, but I can assure you that my sample is quite a sturdy, hard, rather inflexible item made of heavy, thick silicone that can be used as a weapon to the head if needed. It is in no way to be considered soft or impressionable to the touch. It serves my purposes adequately enough. I would prefer the console and can afford it, but I have other likes and wants. I did read that the fit of the aftermarket consoles were suspect, and didn’t want to deal with another poorly fitting thing in the cabin (rattles in dash, sun roof, etc.)

Reactions: Mhoepfin
I see what you are saying about personal preferences and such. I personally didn’t want to spend $500 to $1200 to hold my cups, sun glasses and a bunch of crap. I don’t use the very large tumblers because they are so large. However, you keep saying that these trays are flimsy items, but I can assure you that my sample is quite a sturdy, hard, rather inflexible item made of heavy, thick silicone that can be used as a weapon to the head if needed. It is in no way to be considered soft or impressionable to the touch. It serves my purposes adequately enough. I would prefer the console and can afford it, but I have other likes and wants. I did read that the fit of the aftermarket consoles were suspect, and didn’t want to deal with another poorly fitting thing in the cabin (rattles in dash, sun roof, etc.)

I can see that you seem to be taking exception to my use of the term "flimsy" specifically. It's a relative term & I think we're playing different ends of the spectrum.

If you compare these silicone inserts to a wet limpy noodle they're comparatively more rigid.

If you compare them to every competitor console insert in this segment that uses either wood or hard polymer as it's primary construction material they are flimsy & noticeably less rigid.

This is a major factor when it comes to having two full drinks in the cup holders while in motion aka it's chief design purpose.

Your posts could potentially lead someone who hasn't used or seen them first-hand astray. If people think they're getting the same thing for $100 that they would get for $1,000 they're being mislead. There's obvious compromises to make such a cheap product. Rigidity & looks just happen to be two of those. If you don't mind the look or the decreased rigidity then good for you you have the perfect solution for you. N

Not everyone fits into that mold of the $1,250 option or even the $300-$400 options in between so that's why I said, very subjectively I might add, buy from a seller/vendor with a generous return policy. Try for yourself & see. I did & I was SUPER glad I got it from a source with free returns because that item has zero place in any of my Model S cars but that's just me.

It ended up introducing a level of frustration unacceptable for an item who's sole purpose is to decrease frustration for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I can see that you seem to be taking exception to my use of the term "flimsy" specifically. It's a relative term & I think we're playing different ends of the spectrum.

If you compare these silicone inserts to a wet limpy noodle they're comparatively more rigid.

If you compare them to every competitor console insert in this segment that uses either wood or hard polymer as it's primary construction material they are flimsy & noticeably less rigid.

This is a major factor when it comes to having two full drinks in the cup holders while in motion aka it's chief design purpose.

Your posts could potentially lead someone who hasn't used or seen them first-hand astray. If people think they're getting the same thing for $100 that they would get for $1,000 they're being mislead. There's obvious compromises to make such a cheap product. Rigidity & looks just happen to be two of those. If you don't mind the look or the decreased rigidity then good for you you have the perfect solution for you. N

Not everyone fits into that mold of the $1,250 option or even the $300-$400 options in between so that's why I said, very subjectively I might add, buy from a seller/vendor with a generous return policy. Try for yourself & see. I did & I was SUPER glad I got it from a source with free returns because that item has zero place in any of my Model S cars but that's just me.

It ended up introducing a level of frustration unacceptable for an item who's sole purpose is to decrease frustration for me.

I think you are misleading potential buyers looking for an inexpensive alternative to the large console by your description of the item. I understand you don't like these in your car, and perhaps your dislike of them chooses the words. No, these are not made of hard, rigid plastic that will crack when dropped. These are made of hard, semi-rigid silicone, and by hard, I mean a nondeformable, hard hit to the head hard. It is quite dense for a small item. It does not shift when driving. It is not the soft silicone stuff you find in a kitchen drawer. No, it is not the best solution for adjacent 30 oz tumblers, or if you care about seeing the junk you collect. It holds 2 coffees or normal size water bottles without spilling or tipping, and has places to put your glasses, phone and other minor items. My phone does not slide off when placed atop horizontally. I agree that it is not as esthetically pleasing as the console, but someone who is cost conscious an unconcerned about the esthetics may find these perfectly serviceable. For $50 and Amazon return if you don’t like it, there is not much to lose. There could be inferior versions, but the one I got is as described.

I think you are misleading potential buyers looking for an inexpensive alternative to the large console by your description of the item. I understand you don't like these in your car, and perhaps your dislike of them chooses the words. No, these are not made of hard, rigid plastic that will crack when dropped. These are made of hard, semi-rigid silicone, and by hard, I mean a nondeformable, hard hit to the head hard. It is quite dense for a small item. It does not shift when driving. It is not the soft silicone stuff you find in a kitchen drawer. No, it is not the best solution for adjacent 30 oz tumblers, or if you care about seeing the junk you collect. It holds 2 coffees or normal size water bottles without spilling or tipping, and has places to put your glasses, phone and other minor items. My phone does not slide off when placed atop horizontally. I agree that it is not as esthetically pleasing as the console, but someone who is cost conscious an unconcerned about the esthetics may find these perfectly serviceable. For $50 and Amazon return if you don’t like it, there is not much to lose. There could be inferior versions, but the one I got is as described.

How am I misleading people by presenting my honest and unbiased first-hand account of a product? I even suggested others try it out for themselves if cost is their chief buying factor but to make sure wherever they bought it had a solid return policy in case they agreed with my assessment. Not really sure how that's misleading and not sure how I could be any more factual and unbiased with what I've stated here.

The very fact that you can't accept that my first-hand account of this product is negative leads me to believe that it appears to be you are who the one who is misleading people reading these posts. Almost as if you have something to gain from the sale of this particular item. Interesting....

In the great words of William Shakespeare "Me thinks thou doth protest too much"

How am I misleading people by presenting my honest and unbiased first-hand account of a product? I even suggested others try it out for themselves if cost is their chief buying factor but to make sure wherever they bought it had a solid return policy in case they agreed with my assessment. Not really sure how that's misleading and not sure how I could be any more factual and unbiased with what I've stated here.

The very fact that you can't accept that my first-hand account of this product is negative leads me to believe that it appears to be you are who the one who is misleading people reading these posts. Almost as if you have something to gain from the sale of this particular item. Interesting....

In the great words of William Shakespeare "Me thinks thou doth protest too much"

"How am I misleading people by presenting my honest and unbiased first-hand account of a product?"

I dunno, but you said this: "I think you are misleading potential buyers looking for an inexpensive alternative to the large console by your description of the item."

I dunno how your "honest unbiased first hand account" is the definitive assessment of the product vs. my own experience and assessment of the same product. It is not a console, but "flimsy" is a demonstrable overstatement and misleading. I described the silicone as hard/semi-rigid, dense, resistant to deforming. I think my description is accurate, absent subjective opinions about function, expectations, and place in a $100K car. Your sample from another vendor may have been different. I agree with you that these are no where near as elegant as the console. I have no financial interest in the sale of these.

Anyway, we are debating an internet non-issue.

Reactions: cucubits
Basically if you are looking for an insert that works functionally great and maintains the roominess of the yacht floor between the seats get the $50 amazon one and you MAY be happy like the 1000’s of other tesla owners that enjoy it.

If you need a huge box that removes the room and instead gives you a big chest to throw junk, get the $1500 one.

Those are the choices.

Admin note: FYI, most if not all of the user accounts talking up TapTes are sockpuppet spam accounts from China.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm sure not all but I do find myself having unreasonable conversations with LOTS of "members" of this community that are unreasonably defensive of parts the allegedly own & just happen to be made in China. Like even when you make statements of fact that aren't glowing reviews they get defensive.

I've talked to a few folks that have had good luck, I think my post history would show I'm not a spam account from china
You're fine, but did you talk to those folks in person? I just purged about a dozen accounts that were all pretending to be normal people asking questions while really promoting TapTes. I wouldn't trust a company that engages in such dishonest practices.

They don't even hide it. A while back "Nina" was denying being a taptes employee, and at the same time looking up the shipping info for someone's order. I dont mind an honest vendor offering me products they make but dishonest sock puppets make the product seem like it's so bad they need lies to sell it

I don’t work for anyone, but that silicone console from amazon I think I paid $27 shipped for blends in perfectly and fits fine. It holds drinks, and if you have something you’re worried about spilling, put it in the armrest cup holders. I’ve been more than happy with it. Easy to clean, blends right in, huge improvement. It’s possible there are different versions of the same product with different material thicknesses from Chinese manufacturers knocking each other off. Could be why some people love them and some hate them.

A console that costs an hour of my labor, or a week of my labor? Tough choice

I don't have any recent pictures but I have a few from when the car was in Tesla's inventory.
Passenger_Seat.jpg Driver_Seat.jpg Cockpit.jpg Cockpit_from_Rear_Seat.jpg Driver_Floor.jpg Key_on_Console.jpg Passenger_Floor.jpg

The side panels seem to be hard plastic rather than padded leather or vinyl material if that helps.

I don’t work for anyone, but that silicone console from amazon I think I paid $27 shipped for blends in perfectly and fits fine. It holds drinks, and if you have something you’re worried about spilling, put it in the armrest cup holders. I’ve been more than happy with it. Easy to clean, blends right in, huge improvement. It’s possible there are different versions of the same product with different material thicknesses from Chinese manufacturers knocking each other off. Could be why some people love them and some hate them.

A console that costs an hour of my labor, or a week of my labor? Tough choice

I seriously doubt there's any difference in the rubber inserts themselves. We're not talking about an Italian/German/American made product that was cloned inexpensively by the Chinese to be sold for substantially less. The chief difference in the experience is probably a combination of individual needs and individual expectations. It's not for everyone and if everyone has ALL of the information on the front-end they can more accurately decide if it's a product for them.

Trying to make it seem like a $27 item is identical in every way to a $1250 item just silly.

So if the starting point is we all know they're not the same why should me pointing out the differences I discovered first-hand that weren't immediately apparent to me prior to buying bet met with such fervor if there wasn't some ulterior motive? I was trying to supply info that I didn't have on the front end so that others could do what they wanted with that info. You seemed to be trying to discredit these facts that were undeniable to try to cover up anything that could be taken as negative towards the product. Seems a bit unnatural for someone who was merely a consumer with no other motive.

This is why I was stressing that someone should buy with a good return policy so they have an out. I never bashed the product or said anything that was untrue. The way you attacked my personal first-hand account was unnatural. It seemed to me like you had a horse in the race in terms of commissions or actual ownership of the Amazon storefront you were touting. In other words, you had some sort of undisclosed personal gain to be lost from anything negative to be said publicly about the product. If this isn't the case maybe you should reevaluate your approach to people giving honest first-hand accounts to others to help properly set expectations.

This "debate" has taken on internet scales of absurdity. There are more than a few people here happy with a $50 item that serves the sole purpose of holding water, sunglasses and various items of crap while keeping the yacht shape to hold a bag or purse. Just buy the darned thing from Amazon and if you don't like it, send it back, put $1200 on your credit card, and you won't have to deal with a Chinese-made copy of a Chinese-made original.

(heavens to murgatroid)

This "debate" has taken on internet scales of absurdity. There are more than a few people here happy with a $50 item that serves the sole purpose of holding water, sunglasses and various items of crap while keeping the yacht shape to hold a bag or purse. Just buy the darned thing from Amazon and if you don't like it, send it back, put $1200 on your credit card, and you won't have to deal with a Chinese-made copy of a Chinese-made original.

(heavens to murgatroid)
This is what I've been saying! All I did was add some first-hand info on the products in question since I've owned all of them and someone took umbrage to that arguing for less info. lol