Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine also get updated today from 1.26 to 1.29.

I notice a strange behavior when using TBC-B mode in 1.26. Hope it will be fixed in 1.29.

I use the TBC-CS (Cost Savings) mode. I haven't noticed anything specific yet, but then again I probably should check after 3 to 4 says of letting it run.

Question; If I'm down to 25% which is my reserve for Power Outage, could I just set it to Back-up only to charge just once off the grid during Non-Peak and then switch it back to TBC-CS?

I use the TBC-CS (Cost Savings) mode. I haven't noticed anything specific yet, but then again I probably should check after 3 to 4 says of letting it run.

Question; If I'm down to 25% which is my reserve for Power Outage, could I just set it to Back-up only to charge just once off the grid during Non-Peak and then switch it back to TBC-CS?
Do you have solar? If so, it won't charge from grid unless Storm Watch is active.

If connected to solar, you can't charge it that way in the United States. It would be a nice feature to have on occasion.

Do you have solar? If so, it won't charge from grid unless Storm Watch is active.

If connected to solar, you can't charge it that way in the United States. It would be a nice feature to have on occasion.

I do have solar, 10 panels @ 325 each, and two Powerwalls.

One thing I noticed a few weeks back. My Nurio and CT that monitored the SolarEdge inverter went offline (they went bad), so for the few days it was charging my Powerwall on the grid during non-peak, while sending back unused solar to the grid during Partial Peak and Peak hours. Once my Neurio was replaced, everything went back online.

I have two Neurio because I needed more than 4 ports.

Neurio #1
Port 1 - Load Center
Port 2 - Tesla Wall Connector (because it's not on the load center)
Port 3 - Powerwall #1
Port 4 - Powerwall #2

Neurio #2
Port 1 - Solar Edge Inverter
Port 2 - Solar Edge Inverter

I guess when one goes offline, the system thinks you only have Powerwall (no solar), so then it charges the Powerwall off the grid during non-peak.

I'm curious if that was a fluke, or if that is indeed a fallback in the event your panels go offline for an extended duration. you revert back to just having a Powerwall and that configuration opens up in the app.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I do have solar, 10 panels @ 325 each, and two Powerwalls.

One thing I noticed a few weeks back. My Nurio and CT that monitored the SolarEdge inverter went offline (they went bad), so for the few days it was charging my Powerwall on the grid during non-peak, while sending back unused solar to the grid during Partial Peak and Peak hours. Once my Neurio was replaced, everything went back online.

I have two Neurio because I needed more than 4 ports.

Neurio #1
Port 1 - Load Center
Port 2 - Tesla Wall Connector (because it's not on the load center)
Port 3 - Powerwall #1
Port 4 - Powerwall #2

Neurio #2
Port 1 - Solar Edge Inverter
Port 2 - Solar Edge Inverter

I guess when one goes offline, the system thinks you only have Powerwall (no solar), so then it charges the Powerwall off the grid during non-peak.

I'm curious if that was a fluke, or if that is indeed a fallback in the event your panels go offline for an extended duration. you revert back to just having a Powerwall and that configuration opens up in the app.
Interesting. I wonder if I turned off my solar if I could manually charge the Powerwalls from the grid.

Interesting. I wonder if I turned off my solar if I could manually charge the Powerwalls from the grid.

When they fix my Neurio issue, I asked that question in a round about way, and he said that it won't work that way.

You got me thinking. Since my 2nd Neurio is running on it's own 15 amp breaker, if I power down that breaker, then the Gateway will report that one of them is offline again. Maybe that means I can charge my Powerwall off grid... I might have to try that.

Looks like my Powerwalls updated to 1.29.0 today, directly from 1.26.0. Latest release notes are still from 1.27.0.

I haven't noticed any differences yet.

I'm a new powerwall owner. Mine updated from 1.25 to 1.29 two days ago. And yes, the latest release notes are 1.27.

I called support a couple weeks ago asking for a better understanding of shoulder vs peak behavior as mentioned on Powerwall Modes with Solar | Tesla Support. I was told that was wrong, that at present there is no difference in behavior between "any solar" and "excess solar." I responded saying I spent time over many days experimenting with the different settings without observing any different behavior, and that I could have been saved many hours of time if their documentation was up to date and reflects current functionality.

Is this the way Tesla rolls? Great product and capabilities, but we owners have to run experiments to guess changes included in software updates because Tesla doesn't want to keep their documentation accurate?

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I was updated to 1.28 on Dec 3rd and just got the 1.29 update a few minutes ago. The api was acting funky for a little bit after the update (e.g. calls were not successful when the unit was not started). Seems to have fixed itself after a few minutes though.

Other than that, no changes.

My Powerwalls are still on 1.29.0 but I've noticed a change in their behavior recently.

Since we don't have a scheduled self-powered mode, I use TBC-Balanced and extend my shoulder/part-peak hours so the Powerwalls will continue to power the house. Recently, my Powerwalls aren't getting down to the reserve percentage. I noticed that they are stopping at midnight and then usually don't start powering the house again until the next day when my output is sent back to the grid. Previously, they would run all night. They might come on for a brief period after midnight but it's random.

Has anyone else seen this? I didn't change my hours so I don't know why they are consistently stopping at midnight instead of powering things until 4 am.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190104-150451_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20190104-150451_Tesla.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20190104-150446_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20190104-150446_Tesla.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
MorrisonHiker, I haven't seen the behavior you described, but good to know.

I noticed today my powerwalls are now at 1.32. I wonder if it can now handle excess solar settings from the app. Let's check the release notes Tesla has posted for explanations of your observed behavior and changedsin 1.32. Oh wait... Tesla release notes are useless. 1.32 isn't even posted on Software Updates | Tesla as of this writing, and even if they were, they don't list anything useful.

MorrisonHiker, I haven't seen the behavior you described, but good to know.

I noticed today my powerwalls are now at 1.32. I wonder if it can now handle excess solar settings from the app. Let's check the release notes Tesla has posted for explanations of your observed behavior and changedsin 1.32. Oh wait... Tesla release notes are useless. 1.32 isn't even posted on Software Updates | Tesla as of this writing, and even if they were, they don't list anything useful.

I think 1.32 starts to get pushed out two weeks ago (there's another thread for that). I think the release notes are normally a month behind the 1st drop of the new software, so we may not see it until mid February. Just a guess on my part.

I'm still on 1.31