Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall time based control not saving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a new Powerwall installed and have updated the software to the latest version. All seems to operate as planned exc time based control. I get an error saying: Error failed to save settings when I try to select the mode.
IMG_2151.png

I have tried entering my utility rate plan info to see if that forces it to update anything but so far whenever I try to select time based from self powered I get this error - please help!!

I have had a new Powerwall installed and have updated the software to the latest version. All seems to operate as planned exc time based control. I get an error saying: Error failed to save settings when I try to select the mode.
View attachment 1007881
I have tried entering my utility rate plan info to see if that forces it to update anything but so far whenever I try to select time based from self powered I get this error - please help!!
Same exact problem with my newly installed powerwall. I have also entered my plan and receive this error. I’ll update if I find a resolution.

Upvote 0
Same exact problem with my newly installed powerwall. I have also entered my plan and receive this error. I’ll update if I find a resolution.
Adam, after thinking this over it occurred to me that I’m waiting for my city inspection (scheduled tomorrow). I decided to text the guy who installed our wall and he said that there could be something with permission to operate. Have you had your inspection yet?

Upvote 0
I got my PTO yesterday and activated my system, and I'm seeing this issue as well. I've contacted my installer who's reaching out to their Tesla rep to see what's going on. This looks like some kind of API issue on Tesla's side, as triggering this action through Home Assistant also receives a cryptic error.

Upvote 0
I'm sure when my Powerwall was installed back in 2021 that time based mode only became available after several days because Tesla need to collect some initial generation and consumption data for the predictive algorithm to use. Something like that could have been a factor too.

Upvote 0
@Jturn7 @Adam Oldfield It looks like whatever was causing the issue has been fixed on tesla's side. I was able to turn on time based control this morning.
Now that your system is in TBC; is it charging/discharging as expected? I've noticed during the day with solar production it appears to be following my rate plan. But at night when it should allow all the home load to be fed by the grid (super off peak) it will still discharge until it hits its reserve limit.

What version of the firmware is your system on?

Upvote 0
Now that your system is in TBC; is it charging/discharging as expected? I've noticed during the day with solar production it appears to be following my rate plan. But at night when it should allow all the home load to be fed by the grid (super off peak) it will still discharge until it hits its reserve limit.

What version of the firmware is your system on?
I think its discharging to my reserve limit as well. I'm getting around this by having Home Assistant bump the reserve limit up higher (to 40%) between 12am and 6am, then bringing it back down to 20% after that. This also gets around the problem of charging the EV from the battery, as by the time car gets around to charging the battery is already at reserve so it won't discharge any further.

Upvote 0
I think its discharging to my reserve limit as well. I'm getting around this by having Home Assistant bump the reserve limit up higher (to 40%) between 12am and 6am, then bringing it back down to 20% after that. This also gets around the problem of charging the EV from the battery, as by the time car gets around to charging the battery is already at reserve so it won't discharge any further.
@knyghtryda Have you noticed any changes in the TBC behaviour today? Oddly enough my system appears to now be following TBC and actually back to charging at 5kwh/pw; something seems to have changed exactly at 1am local time from 12:03am to 1am it was charging at ~1.5kwh/pw and suddenly it reverted back to charging at full speed. I'm waiting for my tariff to change and see if its gone back to the expected TBC algorithm.

Upvote 0
@knyghtryda Have you noticed any changes in the TBC behaviour today? Oddly enough my system appears to now be following TBC and actually back to charging at 5kwh/pw; something seems to have changed exactly at 1am local time from 12:03am to 1am it was charging at ~1.5kwh/pw and suddenly it reverted back to charging at full speed. I'm waiting for my tariff to change and see if its gone back to the expected TBC algorithm.
Yup, my charge from grid is now 5kW... It also got smarter and would charge partially at night, even when I didn't raise the backup reserve to force it to.

Upvote 0
Yeah the problem resolved itself!! But a new problem now! The app is showing it’s connected but nothing I manage in the app gets saved. For example I have a dynamic energy tariff and to manage this I use the back up reserve in function to force it to charge when I need it. But any changes I now make look to have been saved. But when I restart the app I see it has not saved to the powerwall! Anyone else seen this?

Upvote 0
Yeah the problem resolved itself!! But a new problem now! The app is showing it’s connected but nothing I manage in the app gets saved. For example I have a dynamic energy tariff and to manage this I use the back up reserve in function to force it to charge when I need it. But any changes I now make look to have been saved. But when I restart the app I see it has not saved to the powerwall! Anyone else seen this?
I had a similar issue when the PWs were first installed (the app would show very delayed information but no changes made in the app would get applied to the system) I ended up having to reboot the system used the switch on the side to turn off the pw, then turned off the pw breaker in the gateway, then used a thin rod to hit the reset button in the gw, waited a few mins for the gw to restart then turned on breakers and then the pw. There was some tesla document i read which said to also turn off the main utility breaker but i didn't want to loose power to the house if i could avoid it.

Upvote 0