Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@miimura
On a separate thought, to avoid NBCs when charging an EV, it may be smart for the Powerwall system to monitor the EV charging circuit. This will provide the option to avoid NBCs by being self-powered for EV charging.
We tweeted Elon a couple weeks ago about the need for the Powerwalls and cars to communicate better. In our case it was because there was a grid outage overnight and the cars charged and drained the Powerwalls. Elon replied within minutes that such a feature would be "coming soon". :)

Did you call powerwall tech support? Losing charge down to your reserve level during non-peak time sure sucks. They've been extremely helpful when I've called them. I only lose a little bit of power, and I reprogrammed my water heater not to come on past 4:30am, so it won't drain the battery now. But still I hope I can get the settings right, and it will just use powerwall power between 6am and 9pm. It sure seems like that should be easy to do. But not if you're trying to make one App work for the entire world, maybe.

Do you set a part-peak period? If not, have you tried setting a tiny one? Maybe it needs some sort of part-peak period to avoid discharging off-peak? Just tossing ideas.

I moved my reply to this thread since it's more applicable to 1.37.1 instead of cleaning our solar panels.

I haven't called yet. We've been using TBC-Balanced since September and it was always very predictable and we used it to intentionally be self-powered for over 20 hours a day. They are still working overall but it's different how they are now charged to 100% every day by 11 am. They then stay at 100% until 2 pm and then drain down to 80% before they stop discharging when off-peak starts. They then come on for some unknown reason at 4:30 am during off-peak and and quickly drain from 80% to 30% since usually have 2 or 3 cars charging around that time. Before 1.37.1, the batteries would charge up to 80% or so and then start discharging. They would power the house throughout peak and part-peak and gradually end up at 30% around the time off-peak started. We never had discharging during off-peak before 1.37.1.

@miimura I have been using balanced for two months. After updating to 1.37.1, for the first time, this morning I discovered the Powerwalls discharging through the night. With 1.37.1 the TBC behaves self-powered in off-peak and shoulders periods, and aggressive cost-savings during peak hours. I think TBC Balanced is best for NEM 2.0 who are paying Non-Bypassable Charges (NBCs). I will give it some time to fully characterize this behavior before switching to TBC Cost Savings.

On a separate thought, to avoid NBCs when charging an EV, it may be smart for the Powerwall system to monitor the EV charging circuit. This will provide the option to avoid NBCs by being self-powered for EV charging.

Mine did the same thing two nights ago, fully discharged my two powerwalls charging my car during super-off peek in the middle of the night. Balances has never done that before. Switched to cost saving as soon as i noticed that to see what it does now. Hopefully it figures out it should really never discharge my powerwalls during super-off-peak.