Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Roadster Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AD07 up front and AD08 in the rear seems to be a good standard setup.

That's what I run on my 2.0, and I do believe that would be TC-friendly for the 1.5.

- - - Updated - - -

Despite the huge difference, I have no problems with the traction control. I have noticed a small amount of oversteer, but I attribute that to the harder compound on the rear slipping.

Okay, just be careful. Tesla designed the Roadster with a lot of understeer for some good reasons. Power oversteer is one, but the more insidious one is snap oversteer. That's when you let off the throttle and the weight shifts to the front, resulting in the back getting less grip - and if you're pushing the limit of grip in a corner, around you will go. Unless you know how to drive a race car you're at risk of getting yourself in serious trouble!

Just ordered the AD07 fronts and AD08 R rears. Its the current setup I'm running now but with a worn out and UV beat up AD07 set that's about 6 years old and worn out AD08 (non-R) rear that's 1.5 years old. May softening the front adjustable suspension and removing some or all of the front shims to play with the understeer when running the 175 fronts.

Looks like the rear AD08's jumped in price in a day, from $168 to $177 a piece. I'll call Doc @ the TireRack to see if he can honor the $168 price. I was waiting some time trying to match the best front tire to the AD08 rear. He seems very respectable and understands customer satisfaction so I don't think they'll be an issue with that.

Front AD07's were $198 a pop. Shipping was $56.48 and from AllTrac, which I personally hate as a delivery service. How professional is it having a guy dropping off your package, with a bandanna on his head, while smoking a cigarette. Sheez. They've lost my packages before too...

So my grand total was: $804.48 with shipping, hoping to drop it down to $786 after talking to Doc.

Last edited:
My roadster has 18k miles and the rears are just about gone. My company has a deal with both The Tire Place and Sears and I've found a bunch of tires from Goodyear, Dunlop, Conti, toyo, michilen, Riken, Falken, and tons more from $65-$215 each. But no Yoko's. I am in Texas and have been driving about 6k/yr in my commute, no racing, no track.
Anyone have a suggestion? I can have them shipped to local service ctr or Goodyear/Sears for mounting.
[email protected]
Thanks
Chris

Well after 22,000 miles of dedication from my rear AD08 tires I'm happy say I retired them today. Not bad since I got 12,500 miles out of my original rear set of AD07s. Rear camber is was dialed at -2.2 and -2.0 and was very happy with the overall wear.

IMG_7256.JPG

IMG_7262.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7263.JPG
    IMG_7263.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
that's impressive - you must drive like granny ;)

Not at all, I drive very aggressive actually and push pretty hard through the turns as well as very hard regen. The key is to roll lightly upon initial acceleration, then give 100% pedal. If you punch it 100% off the line I feel that TC is trying to negotiate with the tires and slightly spin them, the point of highest torque and friction.

I was at the tire store and the guy recommended Bridgestone Driveguards (run flats.) He said his dad had them on a Cayman and was very happy with them (he tracks his car in North Carolina).
Anyone have any experience with these tires?
Bridgestone Driveguard.png

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the rear AD08's jumped in price in a day, from $168 to $177 a piece. I'll call Doc @ the TireRack to see if he can honor the $168 price.
the ADO8 R's are now $182.00 from Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN%20Neova%20AD08%20R&partnum=245WR7AD08R&tab=Survey!!!!!!

Last edited:
It started raining around here and my 1.5 is unhappy on the freeway.

Currently running Toyo Proxy R888 tires all round - 195 on the front with 4/32 tread left and 225 on the rear with 3/32 tread left.

The R888 tires have much better grip in the wet at lowish speeds compared to the factory tires but give up at freeway speeds. Car was unhappy doing 65 in the rain. When new I have had the R888s aquaplane once.

I have a second set of rims and a pair of AD07 175 tires with about a month of driving on them.

Thinking I should put the AD07 tires on the front for the rainy months.

Looking for advice for the rear.

Nick

I honestly wouldn't run the R888's in the rain, even with just the back. There's no grooves to redirect the water at higher speeds, hence the hydroplaning. All the videos online point to this issue with the tire. If you have a full set of rims, I'd run the R888's in the summer and then Yoko's or something with better grooves for the wet roads in the winter.

Be careful of the AD07, if it has some age to it won't hold well either due to UV damage to the rubber.

I honestly wouldn't run the R888's in the rain, even with just the back. There's no grooves to redirect the water at higher speeds, hence the hydroplaning. All the videos online point to this issue with the tire. If you have a full set of rims, I'd run the R888's in the summer and then Yoko's or something with better grooves for the wet roads in the winter.
Thinking that - keep the R888 wheels for Summer, put something more wet appropriate on the other set of rims.

Need to decide what to put on the back...
I seem to remember the factory AD07 tires being hopeless for taking off in the wet.
The AD08 tread design doesn't look any better for wet performance.

Actually not sure I want AD07 tires on the front in the wet either.

I'm running AD08's in the rear and AD07 for the fronts. Don't want any other tire in the winter raining months or summer heat. This combo hasn't failed me and I've pushed the Roadster through some serious water across the road without any hydroplaning issues. Never had issues with launch both in wet and dry conditions. The Roadster has excellent traction control, one of the best, there shouldn't be any issue on take-off in the rain.

Even in summer the R888's take time to get up to temp where they start to hook up, so I wasn't impressed with those tires unless I had a track only car that never saw rain.

While I was daily driving my Roadster I was running AD07 front AD08 rear. Works great. I'd run AD08 front but couldn't get them. In any case, you replace rear 3X more often than front so it doesn't matter if the AD07 is a bit more expensive.

Now I run A048 because I like to do autocross, and I never got around to replacing my last set of AD07/AD08's.

If you wanted to consider sticking with the Toyo line I've had good experience with the Proxes T1 Sport. I've gone through a couple of sets on the rear with lots of freeway miles and the occasional So Cal rainstorm with no hydroplane events. I've also not experienced any traction control issues with these tires.

It started raining around here and my 1.5 is unhappy on the freeway.

Currently running Toyo Proxy R888 tires all round - 195 on the front with 4/32 tread left and 225 on the rear with 3/32 tread left.

The R888 tires have much better grip in the wet at lowish speeds compared to the factory tires but give up at freeway speeds. Car was unhappy doing 65 in the rain. When new I have had the R888s aquaplane once.

I have a second set of rims and a pair of AD07 175 tires with about a month of driving on them.

Thinking I should put the AD07 tires on the front for the rainy months.

Looking for advice for the rear.

Nick

In any case, you replace rear 3X more often than front so it doesn't matter if the AD07 is a bit more expensive.

Currently on TireRack the ADO8R's are $157 and the ADO7's are $146. I am just replacing my rears for the first time since becoming a Roadster owner last October. I have read this entire thread.

My question is more about how many miles people get out of their rears. It seems to vary from a bit over 4,000 to around 18,000 in a few cases. That's quite a lot of variation!

My car came to me with 12K miles and is now at almost 17K miles. My rear AD07's are at 2/32 so am replacing them with the same tire. My fronts are at 5/32.

What is interesting is that the rear DOT date is 3613 so they are obviously not the original factory tires. My front DOT date is 3708 so they are clearly the original factory tires.

Don't know if my current rears are the second or third set on the car, I was not able to get in touch with the previous owner (who I think may have been the original owner) because I bought the car through a BMW dealership.

The rears definitely go faster on stock tires. I'm something on the order of 4k into my new tires and they still have tons of tread left, they almost look new. Very satisfied with the AD08R, the only problem is they're too grippy and it's too hard to kick the back out, hehe.

While my wife was driving the Roadster, we changed the rears each year during the annual service. That equated to about 12,000 miles. The tires still had plenty of tread left each time, but it was easier to just do it while the car was being worked on anyways and as an added bonus the new tires were way quieter for a few months at least. At about 49,000 miles we are on our 4th set of rears and 2nd set of front tires. I am waiting to see what the tires are going to be for Roadster 3.0 before I do anything with the current tires. Fortunately, she now drives a Model S and the Roadster is just for fun so I can wait.