Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 kWh gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News to me at least. No more 10kWh powerwall.
I'm looking forward to a new Tesla Energy product. Musk as a software guy must have something "up his sleeve".

Tesla Powerwall

I applaud this move. With as slow as Tesla has been at bringing this to market, they realized a lot of people actually are dreaming of the daily use model even though their eyes got wide for the size of the backup (non-daily use) model (along with some of its cost efficiencies). Since the daily use model can be used for both cases, this makes certain Tesla isn't marketing an item that won't do what people expect it to do.

Just look at http://www.caiso.com/Pages/TodaysOutlook.aspx (hint: look at it around 11PM every day --- it makes no sense to look at it before evening); you'll quickly notice that there's plenty of daily use that needs to be done, and it makes no sense to put huge resources into filling the market with storage that doesn't supply this need. The "backup" model NEVER made any sense to me whatsoever. Even cloudy days happen on a daily (or more than weekly) cycle; I know --- I've lived in Aptos for a large part of my life, and it used to be cloudy here (but the weather has changed and now it's pretty sunny here).

Edited to add hint since people following the link might not see what I'm saying if they read it at a time of day the graphs don't show any of the referred to activity.

Last edited:
Duck curve annotatedd.jpg

Here is a better picture that illustrates what CAISO sees happening with daily use by 2020 in California. If you can imagine a Powerwall only providing power from 6PM until 9PM, and if enough of them were installed, that could level out the steep curve often called the neck of the duck. That is when peaker plants have to be fired up.