TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

1000 km+ (625 miles) in EV?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by WaWa, Feb 16, 2013.

1. WaWa

WaWa Member

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Forget the silly promo video, here's the web site: www.silexpower.com

Real? Sounds like a concept.

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

On the site they don't say the price. I imagine that it's because the car is very expansive.

4. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Concept? It is only a 3d render for now! It took years for Tesla to go from showing S concept(2009) to production (2012). And Tesla were producing Roadsters.

With this guys it will take few years to actually create concept hardware. And then much longer to go into actual production. But I wish them luck :)

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I got bored before minute two. The video is so slow, I already have zero faith they can deliver a product in a reasonable timeframe for a reasonable price.

"The more drama in the video, the less substance in the product."

6. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Of course it will take a long time to deliver the product. To me it was astonishing the fact that they claim the battery will be charged in 10 minutes. Is it possible?

7. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Probably not. I've not heard of a single chemistry that can be charged so quickly and have the energy density required for EVs, but who knows.

8. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Like the Golden Spike guys (Newt Gingrich, et al) announcing they were going to start an asteroid mining company.

Investors? No.

Hardware? No.

Engineering team? Nope.

Herd of Unicorns? Na, but we do have a nice promotional video. With music.

9. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Among commercially available chemistries Toshiba SCiB probably closest one and EV oriented.

Green Car Congress: Toshiba’s SCiB battery for the Fit EV

15 minutes to 80%, 18 min to 95% charge, but cutting that time in half if needed should not be a problem.

Plus there are a lot of other chemistries that allow 5 min to 10 min cell charging time. If you can charge one cell in 5 min, then you can charge 10 000 cells in 5 min.

But practically it do not make sense. You would need couple megawatt DC charger to charge EV they are talking about in 10 min. Such charger would cost more then 20 times then Tesla's 90kW SuperChargers.

- - - Updated - - -

Opps, SCiB cells actually could be charged in under 10 min: Super-Charge Ion Battery (SCiB™)
    15 min was limitation imposed by particular EV.

And there are li-ion cells that were shown to be able to charge in under 1 min. In a lab, but technically such tech could be scaled up/commercialized if needed.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

WTB one thread void of politics on this forum.

11. agentsmith1612

The car and the website look like as stolen from a bad developed computer game.

The data sheet is a dream nothing more.
    But what the **** is going on with this front design of the car ? Totaly ugly in my opinion.

You get the fact, at some point (depends on battery capacity and charging time) the costs for charger with a certain power, are not more payable.