Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as another data point, here's a thread of someone deliberately testing the battery capacity.

The poster got 315 out of a rated 317 miles or a difference of 0.6%. (If he goes by the app on his phone he actually got an extra mile)

I started with a full battery (100% charged from home), usually when I charge to 100% for a long trip the last 8% usually takes about 35 minutes, this time it took 111 minutes. I am guessing the battery needed a lot of balancing since it has been months since I've charged to 100%.
  • 317 rated miles at 100% (the number at the top of the screen near the battery icon, I think Tesla calls it "Total estimated driving distance (or energy) available")
  • 315 actual miles driven to 0% from Tesla "since last charge" trip meter
  • 318 miles driven shown by my USAA insurance app
  • 6 hours 56 minutes of driving over a couple days, highway and county roads mostly in the Denver area at around 60F (USAA app)
  • 71kWh consumption of the battery (from Tesla trip meter)
  • 224wH/mile averaged. 71kWh divided by 224wH/mile = 317 miles which is magically what Tesla estimated before I started driving.
  • When I got to 0% I didn't notice any power loss, however I could see 4 dots on the right side of the Power Meter. 5% is when the dots started to appear.
  • I received plenty of warnings that I was getting low, the last few miles I circled my local supercharger station.
  • When I tried to supercharge at 0 miles I got an error message saying something like "charging stopped". I freaked out a bit and I started to think this test has ruined my battery!
  • I tried another stall and it started charging at 165kW right away and within 45 seconds it was already at 250kW. From 4% all the way to 11% it stayed at 250kW which seemed really good considering I did not precondition the battery at all and it was 62F.
  • The charging session took 1:22 from 0% to 100%. (Tesla estimated 55 minutes)
  • +80kWh total for the supercharger session receipt which I think included some HVAC and watching Youtube while waiting.
  • +76kWh actually went just to the battery (number shown below "Charging Complete" message at top of screen).
  • After the supercharger session the new rated miles at the top of the screen dropped slightly to 316.
  • As for degradation I am not sure how to calculated it. If it was rated for 330 new and now displaying 316, I guess that is -4.2%. But I used -71kWh draining it to 0%, but it received +76kWh to fill it back up so I not sure how to calculate that.
  • After doing this test I do feel more confident about not running out of battery