Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DOJ Tesla probe has expanded to include EV driving ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never been able to get anywhere close to 263 miles on my 2021 SR+ at highway speeds. The best I can do is a little over 200 it seems. Our 2023 Model Y also comes up well short.

Main source here:

Seems as though some of the blowback that caught the DOJs attention was from CR testing, which shows the Model Y underperforming in all conditions compared to the competition.

EV_Ranges_Mob8.png

And so? Aren’t these EPA mileages?
IIRC, the EPA provides the guidelines for testing, and the manufacturers submit the results. So it’s not like the EPA is testing every vehicle. However companies can get audited if big discrepancies are found.

In this case, Ford, VW and Hyundai EVs are meeting or exceeding their EPA ratings under ideal conditions. Teslas are falling well short.

Wouldn’t you smell a rat if the Model Y is rated for 326 miles and goes 274, while the Mach-E is rated for 270 and goes 275? Why is the Model Y falling 50 miles short, while the competition is closer to their EPA target?

The numbers seem off to me.

Is it possible they are testing the MY standard 284 mile model and using the MYLR numbers? If you search parts, accessories, tires for MY you only find LR and P models. It could be an easy mistake.

View attachment 984925
This is Consumer Reports, not some random car website or YouTube channel. I highly doubt they are that incompetent.

Additional data points:

This is Consumer Reports, not some random car website or YouTube channel. I highly doubt they are that incompetent.

Additional data points:

Then CR listed the wrong model on their graphics. Either way, somewhere there is an error.

The standard MY has never claimed a 326 mile range.

IMG_1097.jpeg

IIRC, the EPA provides the guidelines for testing, and the manufacturers submit the results. So it’s not like the EPA is testing every vehicle. However companies can get audited if big discrepancies are found.

In this case, Ford, VW and Hyundai EVs are meeting or exceeding their EPA ratings under ideal conditions. Teslas are falling well short.

Wouldn’t you smell a rat if the Model Y is rated for 326 miles and goes 274, while the Mach-E is rated for 270 and goes 275? Why is the Model Y falling 50 miles short, while the competition is closer to their EPA target?
Its never been a secret that Tesla overrates their ranges.

Tesla could be using the 5 cycle test while ford is using the 2 cycle test.. either way.. the consumer deserves better

All manufactures overrate mileage. I’ve owned a lot of new cars in my life, none of them get near the mileage on the sticker.
this is true but i gotta admit the Y is flagrant.. i had a 2012 model S before my Y and the ranges were much more reasonable

in fact.. they basically both go about the same distance but the Y advertises far higher

Then CR listed the wrong model on their graphics. Either way, somewhere there is an error.

View attachment 984927
giphy.gif

;)

CR never said they tested a Standard Range. They tested a Long Range. The test was conducted in 2022, and they likely used a 2021 Model Y. Going right to the EPA's website:

test.jpg

They specifically say in the article that they tested a Model Y Long Range, and the numbers they got are largely in line with what people are seeing in the real world. Has anyone here ever gotten 320+ miles per charge on a Model Y LR?

giphy.gif

;)

CR never said they tested a Standard Range. They tested a Long Range. The test was conducted in 2022, and they likely used a 2021 Model Y. Going right to the EPA's website:

View attachment 984931

They specifically say in the article that they tested a Model Y Long Range, and the numbers they got are largely in line with what people are seeing in the real world. Has anyone here ever gotten 320+ miles per charge on a Model Y LR?
he's just saying the graphic is wrong.. the graphic doesnt say LR and one would assume if it doesnt specify it means standard

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
he's just saying the graphic is wrong.. the graphic doesnt say LR and one would assume if it doesnt specify it means standard

Or, instead of assuming, one could just read the article? That's all I'm saying. You know the context if you read the Consumer Reports article I linked that the graphic comes from.

I posted the graphic and even provided the source link. I just don't understand how there can be any confusion. 🤷‍♂️

Over the past year, Consumer Reports sought to answer these questions by conducting seasonal testing on popular new all-wheel-drive EVs: the Ford Mustang Mach-E extended range, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Tesla Model Y Long Range, and Volkswagen ID.4 Pro S. We found temperatures can have impact, but Tesla stands out for coming up short of claimed range no matter the weather.

Or, instead of assuming, one could just read the article? That's all I'm saying. You know the context if you read the Consumer Reports article I linked that the graphic comes from.

I posted the graphic and even provided the source link. I just don't understand how there can be any confusion. 🤷‍♂️

tl;dr