Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110 W vs Wall Connector or Nema 15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I plugged the adapter into the Tesla charger I pushed until it stopped and I thought that was as far in as it went.
Ah, well good on ya, that you figured this out without our help. That symptom will be accompanied by the charging port having an orange (yellow-ish?) ring instead of green or blue, which would be the normal OK colors. It will have that orange to show that it senses the connection isn't fully in. I've had that a time or two, and it will reduce the charging rate from that.

Don't worry about thinking it's a dumass kind of thing--it's not. We've seen that frequently, where people naturally think of their electric car like it's fragile sensitive electronics. They don't want to hit it too hard or force something for fear of breaking it. So they push the charging handle in very gently, and when it seems to hit some resistance and not go in more, they stop to make sure not to break something. In this case, that's a little unhelpful. Sometimes the charging handles can stick a little bit, like from an outdoors Supercharger plug that gets a little dirt around it, so that dirt scuffing kind of makes it gritty and sticks instead of sliding into a port smoothly, etc.

So, start off getting the tip of the charging handle partway into the hole of the charging port to get it lined up and straight, (Hey! Stop thinking like that!) and then finish it off with a pretty solid shove to make sure it seats all the way in so the locking pin can get hold of it properly.

Ah, well good on ya, that you figured this out without our help. That symptom will be accompanied by the charging port having an orange (yellow-ish?) ring instead of green or blue, which would be the normal OK colors. It will have that orange to show that it senses the connection isn't fully in. I've had that a time or two, and it will reduce the charging rate from that.

Don't worry about thinking it's a dumass kind of thing--it's not. We've seen that frequently, where people naturally think of their electric car like it's fragile sensitive electronics. They don't want to hit it too hard or force something for fear of breaking it. So they push the charging handle in very gently, and when it seems to hit some resistance and not go in more, they stop to make sure not to break something. In this case, that's a little unhelpful. Sometimes the charging handles can stick a little bit, like from an outdoors Supercharger plug that gets a little dirt around it, so that dirt scuffing kind of makes it gritty and sticks instead of sliding into a port smoothly, etc.

So, start off getting the tip of the charging handle partway into the hole of the charging port to get it lined up and straight, (Hey! Stop thinking like that!) and then finish it off with a pretty solid shove to make sure it seats all the way in so the locking pin can get hold of it properly.

I think he was saying the he didn't get the 120v 5-15 WALL plug adapter firmly into the mobile connector, not the plug into the car.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think he was saying the he didn't get the 120v 5-15 WALL plug adapter firmly into the mobile connector, not the plug into the car.
Oh, yep. I just went back and read that, and I do see that it's described that way. I fell victim to thinking it was the similar sounding problem I have seen several times before here, rather than this slightly different one I haven't heard of anyone running into yet. The principle is still valid, though. When trying to get pluglike things to fit together, be firm.