Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 month 16k mile update on no ppf front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
BEE06FFB-605A-494A-B310-00EF36499ABE.jpeg
B3FF99B6-9108-446F-B087-CD3FC9DC7CB7.jpeg
A136FC1A-7AA0-4A3A-A091-9D45403D0995.jpeg

Combo of highway and city miles. No off-roading. Maybe 3-4 tiny (less than 1/2 mm in diameter) stone nicks that I touched up with a toothpick. Overall, glad I opted to save hundreds it would have cost to ppf the bumper.

I PPFed the hood myself in January ad a DIY project. Came out perfect (precut sheet that wraps around all edges) but the Y Hood is easy. I’d not venture myself to try that curvy bumper.

Looks clean! You should try the bumper yourself as well. I mean, you already did your hood.
If I didn't live in a condo, and had a garage, I would definitely try it, and pretty sure I will fail.
But at the end of the day, I can live with imperfections on DIY jobs.

Reactions: MikeR99
Looks clean! You should try the bumper yourself as well. I mean, you already did your hood.
If I didn't live in a condo, and had a garage, I would definitely try it, and pretty sure I will fail.
But at the end of the day, I can live with imperfections on DIY jobs.
Thanks. I definitely have been tempted to go for the bumper but after watching mini videos? And knowing my limits? The chances of me messing up the first time are extremely high. And at the cost of that sheet of PPF it’s not worth the risk. Best value (for me) is proper touch up blending method for any stone nicks that may occur in the future. Plus, at time of sale? Zero credit for PPF.

Combo of highway and city miles. No off-roading. Maybe 3-4 tiny (less than 1/2 mm in diameter) stone nicks that I touched up with a toothpick. Overall, glad I opted to save hundreds it would have cost to ppf the bumper.

I PPFed the hood myself in January ad a DIY project. Came out perfect (precut sheet that wraps around all edges) but the Y Hood is easy. I’d not venture myself to try that curvy bumper.
Do you think the color matters? The abrasions on the lower rear doors (the so-called high impact area) that you see in mudflap videos all look white on dark cars which you might expect with surface scratches in the clear coat.

Do you think the color matters? The abrasions on the lower rear doors (the so-called high impact area) that you see in mudflap videos all look white on dark cars which you might expect with surface scratches in the clear coat.
Generally speaking, over the years I've found grey/silver cars to be the best at hiding imperfections, followed closely by white. Black being the worst. For my rear door areas that you speak of, I do have the Tesla PPF pre cut pieces there. I also have these basic ebay mudflaps on the front. (rear never seem to kick up anything back there, and I like the minimalist look of the small front flaps. So I didnt install the rears).

Also, I found the touch up kit here to be excellent. Tesla Pearl White PPSW Touch Up Paint & Scratch Repair Kit

Contains everything needed. But its not magic. Essentially any touch up paint kit will work. Dr Colorchip is another popular one. The main factor is technique, not product. If you REALLY want to get a chip as close to 100% invisible as possible, it takes a little time and patience. Like anything else where you want quality results, cant rush.

This youtube video explains it best. For deep chips, you may even wish to use a method where you tape a small piece of sandpaper to a pencil eraser to smooth down the edges of the chip before you begin the process of adding several layers of touch up paint to fill up the chip to get it even with the surrounding area. This video was my guide to the small nicks I had. Just took a little patience, but as noted in the pics, they essentially are now invisible unless you are within maybe 1 foot of looking for them. And even then, a sharp eye is needed to find where I used the touch up.

For me (my personal opinion), the cost of paying to have PPF done on a front bumper/front hood (much less the rest of the car) isnt worth the cost at todays rates. (About $1k to $1300 to have both hood/bumper done here in Virginia). When I sold my prior car (S) which had PPF on the hood/bumper, I got none of that cost back at sale time. And on the many other cars I've owned and sold myself, none of those cars had PPF and I was still able to get top private sale dollar for all of them. Buyers were aware they were buying a used car with tens of thousands of miles, and a few tiny nicks on the front was normal wear and tear. (and major ones were touched up by me at minimal cost)

I do get that others feel differently. All in ones priorities/spend.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
agree - my white MY looks just like yours after 12k miles. In summa r- the bugs do get gross - and while they do not chip the paint - having PPF for scrubbing would be good - but - I handle the removal in the right way so - I'm good.