Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 V Battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12 volt battery service warning went up last week, I scheduled a ranger visit for this week and got a text a couple days saying they're cancelling my appt because the 12 V battery is on back order? They'll contact me when they get inventory to reschedule.

Someone at Tesla I spoke with says I'm okay for 3-4 weeks after warning comes on. Now I'm in limbo waiting for shipment. This is Orange County, CA where there a million Teslas. Anyone ever had any experience with these back ordered 12 V batteries?

Interesting.... I had this warning the morning of Xmas Eve....

I had gotten a notification that I had a software update and started it from the phone.... 30 minutes goes by... No notification that the software install was complete.... So, I go to the car.... Car shows I have an update to install... I start it from the car.... It bombs and an alert comes up that I can't install because my 12v battery needed service....

The earliest appointment I could get was 1/8.... I drove the car to the SC.... Got lucky that they were open and had the battery in stock... They replaced it as a warranty item and I was back on the road.... No way I was taking a chance that it would go dead...

Reactions: aerodyne
My 12 volt battery service warning went up last week, I scheduled a ranger visit for this week and got a text a couple days saying they're cancelling my appt because the 12 V battery is on back order? They'll contact me when they get inventory to reschedule.

Someone at Tesla I spoke with says I'm okay for 3-4 weeks after warning comes on. Now I'm in limbo waiting for shipment. This is Orange County, CA where there a million Teslas. Anyone ever had any experience with these back ordered 12 V batteries?

As with any company, backorder means the don't currently have one, but they are ordered. That could mean that they come in tomorrow.

Someone at Tesla I spoke with says I'm okay for 3-4 weeks after warning comes on. Now I'm in limbo waiting for shipment.
I had the 12 volt warning come up and made an appointment with the mobile ranger for about 3 weeks (due to a crazy schedule on my part). I was a little nervous about waiting that long but it was kind of my only option. I got a text that the battery hadn’t arrived yet and my appointment would need to be moved back a week. The mobile ranger came to my house over a full month after the 12 volt warning came up - I was nervous, but everything was fine. The only ramification was that, like you, software updates failed while I had the battery warning active.

I went about 3 weeks with the message...and had a software update pending that would alert me for 3 weeks to update...but then not allow the update due to a 12v issue...fun

I had an open service request for a wheel sensor that was on back order. They scheduled the appointment and changed it 3 times. Ranger did not seem concerned about the time delay and said it's an early warning message that can go about a month.

Personally, I thought the 4 week window was BS and was sweating bullets every time I got in the car.

I did do a 500 mile ski trip with the warning...it was in the teens F and snowing the entire trip. Talk about stressful.

Get it done as soon as you can unless you need extra stress...but a small delay should not cause issues.