Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day No MVPA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's delivery day, I ordered a LR in inventory upgrading from a 2020 SR+ (built in 2019). I still don't have a MVPA and the best Tesla have done so far is tell me to use the order configuration confirmation to which I've told them my bank doesn't care nor want that they want to know the final total to fund. I've been going back and forth for days. It seems their acquisitions dept is having a hard time making an offer on my trade.

I called and they are asking me to submit pictures of my trade which I've done via the app. Then I get an email saying we want pictures taken outside in the daylight full resolution. So I send those and days later no response.

I'm 6 hours out from pickup time and a two hour drive to pick up and I've half a mind to cancel. This is chaos, this wasn't this bad 4 years ago. I don't want to waste half a day only to get lowballed on my trade. They initially offered $20,000 which is in line with what CarMax and Carvana etc are offering. I'm concerned they'll order less and I'll have to reschedule delivery so I can deal with the hassle of selling it myself.

Assuming the trade in is as advertised I would hope Tesla honors their trade in offer.
I'm at best cautious of car dealers and I'm less trusting of Tesla as they like to move the goal posts on an almost daily basis.

I'm really hoping to avoid taking time off work to drive hours only to be disappointed. Hopefully they'll pull it together last minute which isn't fair on the sales people, or those at my CU having to suddenly make Teslas inefficiency their priority.

Then I get an email saying we want pictures taken outside in the daylight full resolution. So I send those and days later no response.

You're assuming the worst, as if "no response" implies that there's a problem instead of "everything is fine and on track".

My experience is that "no response" is Tesla's default position and that you're only likely to get a response if they need something.

If your trade-in has damage that was concealed by dark photos, then I can understand why providing new photos would create the sense of uncertainty that you feel. There's also a feeling of lack of being in control that can be tough for some people (sending a message and not getting a response).

I'm hoping anyone else buying a Tesla finds this post and understands it might actually be less stressful to just go to a regular dealer.

For me, I just don't see anything in your post that would be a reason to feel stressed. My personal experience buying from Tesla was vastly better than traditional dealerships and was zero stress. Many, many people on these forums have stated the same.

You're assuming the worst, as if "no response" implies that there's a problem instead of "everything is fine and on track".

My experience is that "no response" is Tesla's default position and that you're only likely to get a response if they need something.

If your trade-in has damage that was concealed by dark photos, then I can understand why providing new photos would create the sense of uncertainty that you feel. There's also a feeling of lack of being in control that can be tough for some people (sending a message and not getting a response).

For me, I just don't see anything in your post that would be a reason to feel stressed. My personal experience buying from Tesla was vastly better than traditional dealerships and was zero stress. Many, many people on these forums have stated the same.
There is a problem I don't have the purchase agreement and without that the loan won't be funded. That's a fairly major problem if I drive there and can't take delivery.

I sent them pictures via the app, the same app that deleted pictures as I uploaded new ones. I ended up emailing pictures to them. I just called again and they were like you're offer on the trade needs to be accepted. Yet there's nothing in the app to accept. The only task remaining to complete is the trade portion and they can't seem to get it together.

My trade is a Tesla, the pictures are clear, full daylight after the car was washed. I didn't have this exact experience last time I bought a Tesla. I got an appraisal at CarMax, sent it over and that was that.

There is a problem I don't have the purchase agreement and without that the loan won't be funded. That's a fairly major problem if I drive there and can't take delivery.

Yeah, that's a problem. I forgot you said that. I'm sorry.

Although I'd still say buying from Tesla is easier/better than traditional dealerships, it's definitely not perfect.

Maybe they shouldn't provide a pickup/delivery appointment time until they've got all their ducks in a row.

Reactions: George75

I sent them pictures via the app, the same app that deleted pictures as I uploaded new ones. I ended up emailing pictures to them. I just called again and they were like you're offer on the trade needs to be accepted. Yet there's nothing in the app to accept. The only task remaining to complete is the trade portion and they can't seem to get it together.

My trade is a Tesla, the pictures are clear, full daylight after the car was washed. I didn't have this exact experience last time I bought a Tesla. I got an appraisal at CarMax, sent it over and that was that.

When did you originally receive the trade estimate? There might be value difference which is the reason its taking a bit longer than normal. The normal "delivery" customer support team cant confirm that value for you, that happens on the trade-in side. Best recommendation I have is put added pressure on your customer experience person, so they can ping the correct team to get this handled. Don't be surprised if they delay delivery. Sorry this isnt the best news

When did you originally receive the trade estimate? There might be value difference which is the reason its taking a bit longer than normal. The normal "delivery" customer support team cant confirm that value for you, that happens on the trade-in side. Best recommendation I have is put added pressure on your customer experience person, so they can ping the correct team to get this handled. Don't be surprised if they delay delivery. Sorry this isnt the best news
From talking to people at Tesla I believe you are correct. The app for whatever reason didn't apply the pictures on their side so I had to call the email them then wait for them to approve the amount. They approved a bit less but onward. Then the app asked me to approve the trade which I tried to do then failed to allow me to upload the registration. I had to email that too, now I'm waiting on the MVPA which they said would auto generate and it hasn't 😂 it's a spectacular failure of technology. I must have tried 100 times to upload documents before anything worked and I've no idea of they actually took.

I'll shortly drive over and hopefully they can figure it out in the flesh because I'm just about ready to cancel my order.

Yeah, that's a problem. I forgot you said that. I'm sorry.

Although I'd still say buying from Tesla is easier/better than traditional dealerships, it's definitely not perfect.

Maybe they shouldn't provide a pickup/delivery appointment time until they've got all their ducks in a row.
It's annoying, so frustrating. I don't know I'm thinking if there wasn't discounts and the tax credit I'd go with a regular dealer.

I agree, delivery time should be set after they issue the MVPA of you're going third party. I went with Tesla first time and it was smoother experience but I didn't want to pay some big bank hundreds in fees.

From talking to people at Tesla I believe you are correct. The app for whatever reason didn't apply the pictures on their side so I had to call the email them then wait for them to approve the amount. They approved a bit less but onward. Then the app asked me to approve the trade which I tried to do then failed to allow me to upload the registration. I had to email that too, now I'm waiting on the MVPA which they said would auto generate and it hasn't 😂 it's a spectacular failure of technology. I must have tried 100 times to upload documents before anything worked and I've no idea of they actually took.

I'll shortly drive over and hopefully they can figure it out in the flesh because I'm just about ready to cancel my order.

Unfortunately they have tried to automate the entire delivery process, so if its off for any reason, the entire thing breaks. Even if you were to go in, the Tesla reps are still limited to the automation that is causing the blocker for you. But I think in person is always the best way, as that would put the added pressure for the team to get everything handled for you, so they cant just move on to another customer without assisting you.

Reactions: George75
Luckily for me in the end, after sending multiple texts someone at the delivery center paid attention and got me the MVPA. When it did generate it was wrong, I got a call to confirm down payment and other details then they corrected it. I'm glad my Credit Union was fast and efficient as they got me a check so I could pick up on time which was delayed. I got there and ended up waiting in a near empty delivery location for almost 45 minutes. Although delivery afterwards was quick. Apart from the wait the process to take delivery was nicer than back in 2019. The vehicle itself is a huge improvement from what feels like my older (from 2019) louder Model 3. The 2023 is smoother, quieter, the materials feel nicer, the seats are better even the paint is a lot better than before.

Reactions: EarlyM3Owner
Luckily for me in the end, after sending multiple texts someone at the delivery center paid attention and got me the MVPA. When it did generate it was wrong, I got a call to confirm down payment and other details then they corrected it. I'm glad my Credit Union was fast and efficient as they got me a check so I could pick up on time which was delayed. I got there and ended up waiting in a near empty delivery location for almost 45 minutes. Although delivery afterwards was quick. Apart from the wait the process to take delivery was nicer than back in 2019. The vehicle itself is a huge improvement from what feels like my older (from 2019) louder Model 3. The 2023 is smoother, quieter, the materials feel nicer, the seats are better even the paint is a lot better than before.
Glad to hear everything has worked out in the end.
How much did you get for your trade-in?

a