Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two prior times my battery died without a warning. My 2020 X had this happen two years ago, now I got a warning of low battery, and I scheduled a ranger to change it in 10 days...is my car going to die beforehand? Scared to drive anywhere now

I scheduled a ranger to change it in 10 days...is my car going to die beforehand? Scared to drive anywhere now
First, I would only park it in a well ventilated place where it can be easily “jumped” and towed. Otherwise, if it’s gonna die, it’s gonna die whether you drive it or not. When it dies, it will die when you are parked.

The safety relays to the main battery “click-clack” closed with 12V battery power (firefighters cut that 12V cable to disable the relays, thereby de-energizing the HV systems). After that, the DC-DC converter kicks in to power the 12V systems and charge the 12V battery until you park.

The 12V battery is going to discharge whether you are driving or not. Then if it has enough power, it will close the relays to charge from the main battery. If not, then the car will no longer start.

The ventilation is needed because lead acid batteries (even Tesla deep discharge ones) give off a nasty, not good for you sulfurous gas when charging near the end of their life. I’ve mistaken that for a natural gas leak, and my neighbors have called 911 because of it. It would come and go, because the 12V only charges when low or when driving (which is well ventilated).

At least there isn’t a battery shortage for you! During COVID lockdown, my battery replacement was push back again and again, until the car no longer drove.

Good luck!

Thanks. Any clue if I can find out how close I am?
From my experience, if you smell rotten eggs, or natural gas, then it is imminent. Don’t smell? 🤷🏻

Maybe check the battery voltage with a multimeter? But I’m not sure what the minimum voltage is.

It is pretty pointless to calculate the time of death. Anything you do is placebo:
Anything I can do to decrease the battery degradation until next week ?
I would stop worrying if / when it dies and prepare for its death.

Study the guides for jump starting a Tesla, buy jumper cables, buy a small 12V jumper battery (the Tesla needs very little amperage).

You will inevitably need to prepare for a few days without it if it dies and the service center is backlogged.

Again, it’s mostly placebo. But if you are that nervous…

Another question. How did they know it needed replacement ? Just the age of the battery or did they monitor the charge?
I would expect that they use several techniques on a “first to appear” basis.

I suspect the main check would be measuring total kWh charged / discharged which is the battery equivalent of “total mileage”.

Of course there is also time since last replacement.

They would also track how close the battery gets to critical failure regardless of expected life. For example, the voltage when under load. If it starts sagging too close to the minimum voltage for all the systems to function, then you will “brown out”. So, they would alert you to get the battery replaced regardless of age.

There are probably other things they measure as well. I’ll defer to other battery experts on the forum.