Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low voltage warning again - 12 v battery was replaced last month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a MX 2020 model bought in Dec 2019. This year I finally got a 12v battery warning in July , Tesla came and replaced it. Got same warning again in Oct and Tesla came and replaced. Now again I am getting the same warning. Have a mobile appointment scheduled to get it replaced. Wondering what is causing this frequent 12v battery issues. Its 3rd time in less than 6 months. I have not plugged in anything ( other than USB to store dashcam clips and rare cell phone charging while driving) so not sure what is draining it all the time. Its not that cold also . Did anyone faced this issue before ?

Tesla basically "cooks" the 12v. Over-Charging them. Each and every one I've replaced on both my Model S and X as well as a number of friends vehicles, has been boiled bone dry. The Model X is much more heavily reliant on the 12v through than the S due to additional power Hungary options (Falcon Doors).

Finally switched to the Ohmmu batteries, and not a single problem since going on over a year. The longest lasting were the original factory installed, those lasted almost exactly 4 years in both vehicles, then each replacement has lasted 1 year or less ever since. Got fed up with it and just got the Ohmmu.
I just need the Ohmmu's to last 2 years to break even VS the Tesla OEM batteries. Ohmmu has a 4 year warranty, which I have not needed.

Reactions: mostvisited
Hi All,

I have a MX 2020 model bought in Dec 2019. This year I finally got a 12v battery warning in July , Tesla came and replaced it. Got same warning again in Oct and Tesla came and replaced. Now again I am getting the same warning. Have a mobile appointment scheduled to get it replaced. Wondering what is causing this frequent 12v battery issues. Its 3rd time in less than 6 months. I have not plugged in anything ( other than USB to store dashcam clips and rare cell phone charging while driving) so not sure what is draining it all the time. Its not that cold also . Did anyone faced this issue before ?
Was it covered under warranty the 2nd (and 3rd) time?

My mother's M3 12v was replaced 18 months ago by Tesla service, and now the car is giving a 12v battery alert once again. The original 12v was covered under the Vehicle Warranty since the car was only 3 years old then, but I've read around these forums that outside of that, replacement 12v batteries have a warranty of 12 months, or 30 months, or nothing at all..

Was it covered under warranty the 2nd (and 3rd) time?

My mother's M3 12v was replaced 18 months ago by Tesla service, and now the car is giving a 12v battery alert once again. The original 12v was covered under the Vehicle Warranty since the car was only 3 years old then, but I've read around these forums that outside of that, replacement 12v batteries have a warranty of 12 months, or 30 months, or nothing at all..
Yep it was replaced under vehicle warranty. One of the mobile technician mentioned that there would be 6 month warranty if it fails again while other one mentioned 1 year. Guess I would know next year as my car won't be under warranty. Better check with the SC , doubt they would consider 18 months though.

Interestingly, my 2016 X (delivered Oct 2016) still has the original 12v battery. Never expected that.

My 2013 Tesla is on its 3rd 12v battery. I don't have the records with me at the moment, but I believe the first one failed about 3 years after delivery. Tesla replaced it. Second one started to fail about 3 years after that. I made an appointment for Tesla to replace it, but there was a shortage of batteries and my appointment was rescheduled several times. I was afraid of getting stuck somewhere so I purchased an Ohmmu battery and installed it myself. The Ohmmu battery has been in place for a little over 4 years with no problems to date.

Replacing the 12v battery in a 2013 Model S is a real challenge though!

Reactions: islandbayy