Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have 2021 Y, how long should the 12 v bat last?
No way to say for certain. Until now the 12V battery used in the Tesla Model Y has been a maintenance free lead-acid battery. These have been typically lasting ~2+ years, up to 4 years. The new vehicle warranty covers the 12V battery for 4 years. It appears that at some point in 2022 Tesla will switch to a lithium 12V battery (hopefully more reliable with longer life.)

Had an experience with the 12v batt biting it too. The one thing the manual doesn't tell you when you're stranded is the dying battery sending low voltage to controllers may put them in an unstable state. To 'jump' the car from another 12v battery, make sure you FIRST disconnect from the bad battery, then only connect jump pack or known good battery from another car with clean 12v. This will 'reboot' things, close hv contactor, and bring dc-dc converter online. You can then disconnect the 12v source and drive around with no 12v battery as long as you want. Hv contactor will not open until hv battery runs all the way down or good 12v is connected from a new battery.

Lithium drops about 17lbs vs the lead acid but my 2021 started complaining about voltage drops since tesla is trying to monitor lead acid. It was fine for a bit but the nagging is constant now so I put the lead acid back in. Hoping at some point it’s configurable. But future is unknown in that.

Our December 2019 (2020 model year) Model 3 with 40,000 miles notified us that the 12V was dying last week. Was able to schedule a next day service and it was replaced for free.

Seeing all these stories on here, I knew to schedule it ASAP when the warning came up and not let it linger so as to avoid getting locked out etc.