Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120V charging 24 hours or more…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,
New guy here, just purchased a new 2023 RW model 3, 2 weeks ago. Boy what a fun learning experience. So far my charging has been 120V outlet works fine for my short daily trips. My question is I just took a 148 mile trip. Is it ok to charge on 120V for 24 or more hours continuous ? Is this detrimental to battery health/life.

Thanks I’ve be researching this. A lot of conflicting answers. One fellow told me 120 or 240 doesn’t matter a watt is a watt and the electric company charges by the watt. Love learning about this new Tesla electric world. Appreciate the help in understanding all of this.
thanks

Reactions: dhrivnak
Greetings,
New guy here, just purchased a new 2023 RW model 3, 2 weeks ago. Boy what a fun learning experience. So far my charging has been 120V outlet works fine for my short daily trips. My question is I just took a 148 mile trip. Is it ok to charge on 120V for 24 or more hours continuous ? Is this detrimental to battery health/life.
Do check to see if your outlet is fed by a 20A breaker rather than a 15A breaker. If so, it is an easy swap out to replace the receptacle with a 20A receptacle and then you can charge at 16A instead of 12A with the Tesla 5-20 adapter.

Thanks I’ve be researching this. A lot of conflicting answers. One fellow told me 120 or 240 doesn’t matter a watt is a watt and the electric company charges by the watt. Love learning about this new Tesla electric world. Appreciate the help in understanding all of this.
thanks
The car itself consumes power during charging, about 300W or 400W. So that’s a much bigger overhead power waste when charging off a lower power supply than from a bigger 240V supply.

thanks
The car remains on while charging, drawing power from your house. So on 120v it can be on for 24 hours, but on 240v it can take like 5-6 hours. You house is powering the cars electronics for an extra 19 hours. That’s where the inefficiency comes from.

Greetings,
If you are going to charge at high amperage for lengthy periods you'll want to ensure that no other loads will occur on the circuit fed by that breaker and you should monitor the plug and breaker for excessive heat build up.

If you have 12-2 wire and a 20amp breaker feeding a 120v outlet, you can, as mentioned, convert it to a NEMA 5-20 outlet and then charge at 16amps/120v. Additionally, if the outlet has a dedicated 120v 20amp breaker, then you could potentially change the breaker to a 240v 20amp breaker and the outlet to a NEMA 6-20 and then you can charge at 16A/240v.

Reactions: BSparx and DrChaos
If you are going to charge at high amperage for lengthy periods you'll want to ensure that no other loads will occur on the circuit fed by that breaker and you should monitor the plug and breaker for excessive heat build up.

If you have 12-2 wire and a 20amp breaker feeding a 120v outlet, you can, as mentioned, convert it to a NEMA 5-20 outlet and then charge at 16amps/120v. Additionally, if the outlet has a dedicated 120v 20amp breaker, then you could potentially change the breaker to a 240v 20amp breaker and the outlet to a NEMA 6-20 and then you can charge at 16A/240v.
Someone please help me understand 16/120 vs 16/240 both are still supplying 16 amps. Is the obvious the 240 is giving me a faster charge but still only 16amps ?

@grasshopper, it’s like this.

Like in all things electric, there’s primary effects and secondary effects. And like the laws of thermodynamics (You can’t win; you can’t break even; and the game is rigged), there are losses, mostly secondary, everywhere.

First, a couple of definitions:
  • Energy is a quantity, like water in a tank. The SI unit for energy is the Joule, but there are plenty of others.
  • Power is a rate, like gallons per minute of water in a pipe attached to that tank. One Watt is a rate of one Joule per second. So, that 100 W lightbulb in the overhead? While it’s on, yep, it’s using 100J per second.
In general, electrical utilities charge a user for the amount of energy they use. For historical reasons, they charge the user for energy in units of kilowatt-hours, which is the amount of energy delivered by one kilowatt over one hour and is 3.6MJ. Tesla (and everybody else making BEVs) rates their battery sizes in terms of kW-hrs, to match. Which kind of tells you the size of the bucket you’re playing with.
  • Finally, in the world of electricity in wires, power passing by a point is calculated by P = Voltage x Current. Thank you, Mr. Ohm.
So: The primary thing that tells you the rate at which the car is charging is the Power going into it while charging. A LR M3 has an AC rectifier/charging system in it that maxes out at 240 VAC and 48A; that’s 11.52kW. Ye nominal M3 gets around 250 W-hr per mile, so the charging rate is 11.52e3/250= 46 Miles of Charge per hour.

(Note: That 250 W-hr/mile is exactly like the Gallons of Gas per mile rating for an ICE. That Watt-hour rating was on the Mulroney Sticker that came attached to car when you got it. Like MPG ratings, it’s not perfectly accurate, but it’s close.)

So, charge at 120VAC and 12A? That’s 1.44kW, so 1.44e3/250 = 5.76 Miles of Charge per Hour. But this is when secondary losses begin to kick in. When I plug my 2018 M3 LR RWD into the Wall Connector, I really do get 46 MoCpHr. At 120V and 12A, I get somewhere between 4.5 and 5. Potential secondary losses:
  1. As others have pointed out, there’s a fixed amount of power going into the car’s computer when the car is on, around 200W, estimated. So, instead of 1.44kW getting into the battery, you get 1.24kW.
  2. You’ll note that the car accepts 120V, 208V, 240V, and so on. It has to rectify that and boost it up to the (I think) 350V or so that the battery pack uses. You’ll have to take my word for this, but this is generally done with switching power supplies, where serious power transistors are turned on and off at $DIETY’s own rate with attached ferritic transformers and/or inductors doing the voltage and current translation from low-V/high-Current to high-V/low-Current. These kinds of power converters are pretty blamed efficient, but they tend, for various reasons, to be most efficient when the input and output voltages are both high. Otherwise, there’s a percent or so of efficiency gone, and there goes some power converted into heat.
  3. Finally, there’s cold weather. Turns out that the battery in your Tesla has to be some certain minimum temperature in order to charge safely without getting damaged. The car will attempt to heat the battery before charging it and will limit the charge rate if it’s not warmed up enough. So, I’ve personally seen my M3 charge at 1 mile per hour or less when the outside temperature it was in was around 20F. Since, apparently, that 1.44kW wasn’t enough to get the battery warmed up enough. With the Wall Connector and its 11.5kW, there’s plenty of power to get the battery up to temp, at which point the normal battery charging will keep the battery warm. Note: If you live in a climate where it gets cold, and you don’t have a semi-heated garage or something, this may be a problem for you in the future.
DC fast supercharging bypasses that whole rectifier and has DC power straight to the battery. The limit here is the state of charge of the battery. At low SOC, below 20% or so, the car can charge around 250kW, for an amazing rate of 1000 Miles per Hour. As the battery charges, the rate falls off more or less linearly. At around 80% SOC the rate will be 50 kW or so, still 5x faster than one can do with a Wall Connector. At a SC, one typically can go from a couple percent to 80% SOC in 20 minutes or so. Good for trips.

Now, for you and your house. You’ve apparently got a 120VAC socket in the garage. For various reasons, but especially cold weather, making that socket double its output power by doubling the voltage makes all sorts of sense. There’s actually a straightforwardish way to do this. First, look at your breaker panel. You’ll notice that there’s one or two vertical columns of breakers. Your house receives from the utility two “hots” and a neutral. Each of the hots is 120VAC to the neutral, but the hots are inverted from each other so, from hot to hot, you get 240VAC.

The two hots get bonded to two separate bus bars in the breaker box; the neutral gets connected to a third, bigger bus bar that surrounds the breaker box. Which incidentally is also bonded to a great big honking copper ground stake planted outside the house. If you look at the breakers, the first in a column is attached to the first hot; the next one down is attached to the second hot; the next back to the first hot, and so on. On a 120V circuit (lights, 120V sockets) there’s a single breaker in a single slot with (typically) a black wire coming off of it; a white wire from the ground/neutral bus bar is paired with that and off it goes into the house.

On a 240VAC circuit there’s two ganged breakers that go into adjacent slots in the column. You’ll see those ganged breakers on high power loads, like an air conditioner or electric stove. Each of the two ganged breakers picks up a hot; there’s two wires coming off the breakers with 240VAC between them; add a ground and/or neutral wire, and off the bundle goes into the house.

So, if your garage 120VAC socket is on its own circuit, with nothing else, the general procedure would be to:
  1. Remove the 15A, 120VAC outlet in its entirety.
  2. Replace it with a 240VAC, 15A single socket, using the original hot on one 240V leg and the original neutral on the other 240VAC leg, and the ground wire on the ground.
  3. In the breaker box, disconnect both the single hot wire and the neutral wire on that circuit. Install a double, 15A 240 breaker in an available pair of slots, and connect the old single hot and neutral to the breakers.
The above may sound easy, but it’s trivial to electrocute oneself. Only do this personally if you’re experienced playing with city power. Otherwise, hire an electrician.

Finally: if your breaker box can handle the current and is, say, not so far from the garage, think hard about getting a Wall Connector from Tesla or somebody else and getting it installed by a pro. Yeah, it’ll set you back a grand or so, but it’ll be convenient and then you can leave the mobile connector in the trunk, where it belongs 😁 .

Aside from what others have posted, keep an eye on that 120v outlet and make sure that it doesn't overheat. Sounds like you'll be running it at 100% rated capacity for over 24 hours straight. Personally, to be safe, I would replace the receptacle with a commercial one and make sure that the wires connect by wrapping around the screw terminals and not the spring-loaded backstab connections (which tend to get loose over time and could overheat when charging for many hours at a time)...Enjoy your new car!!!.

@grasshopper, it’s like this.

Like in all things electric, there’s primary effects and secondary effects. And like the laws of thermodynamics (You can’t win; you can’t break even; and the game is rigged), there are losses, mostly secondary, everywhere.

First, a couple of definitions:
  • Energy is a quantity, like water in a tank. The SI unit for energy is the Joule, but there are plenty of others.
  • Power is a rate, like gallons per minute of water in a pipe attached to that tank. One Watt is a rate of one Joule per second. So, that 100 W lightbulb in the overhead? While it’s on, yep, it’s using 100J per second.
In general, electrical utilities charge a user for the amount of energy they use. For historical reasons, they charge the user for energy in units of kilowatt-hours, which is the amount of energy delivered by one kilowatt over one hour and is 3.6MJ. Tesla (and everybody else making BEVs) rates their battery sizes in terms of kW-hrs, to match. Which kind of tells you the size of the bucket you’re playing with.
  • Finally, in the world of electricity in wires, power passing by a point is calculated by P = Voltage x Current. Thank you, Mr. Ohm.
So: The primary thing that tells you the rate at which the car is charging is the Power going into it while charging. A LR M3 has an AC rectifier/charging system in it that maxes out at 240 VAC and 48A; that’s 11.52kW. Ye nominal M3 gets around 250 W-hr per mile, so the charging rate is 11.52e3/250= 46 Miles of Charge per hour.

(Note: That 250 W-hr/mile is exactly like the Gallons of Gas per mile rating for an ICE. That Watt-hour rating was on the Mulroney Sticker that came attached to car when you got it. Like MPG ratings, it’s not perfectly accurate, but it’s close.)

So, charge at 120VAC and 12A? That’s 1.44kW, so 1.44e3/250 = 5.76 Miles of Charge per Hour. But this is when secondary losses begin to kick in. When I plug my 2018 M3 LR RWD into the Wall Connector, I really do get 46 MoCpHr. At 120V and 12A, I get somewhere between 4.5 and 5. Potential secondary losses:
  1. As others have pointed out, there’s a fixed amount of power going into the car’s computer when the car is on, around 200W, estimated. So, instead of 1.44kW getting into the battery, you get 1.24kW.
  2. You’ll note that the car accepts 120V, 208V, 240V, and so on. It has to rectify that and boost it up to the (I think) 350V or so that the battery pack uses. You’ll have to take my word for this, but this is generally done with switching power supplies, where serious power transistors are turned on and off at $DIETY’s own rate with attached ferritic transformers and/or inductors doing the voltage and current translation from low-V/high-Current to high-V/low-Current. These kinds of power converters are pretty blamed efficient, but they tend, for various reasons, to be most efficient when the input and output voltages are both high. Otherwise, there’s a percent or so of efficiency gone, and there goes some power converted into heat.
  3. Finally, there’s cold weather. Turns out that the battery in your Tesla has to be some certain minimum temperature in order to charge safely without getting damaged. The car will attempt to heat the battery before charging it and will limit the charge rate if it’s not warmed up enough. So, I’ve personally seen my M3 charge at 1 mile per hour or less when the outside temperature it was in was around 20F. Since, apparently, that 1.44kW wasn’t enough to get the battery warmed up enough. With the Wall Connector and its 11.5kW, there’s plenty of power to get the battery up to temp, at which point the normal battery charging will keep the battery warm. Note: If you live in a climate where it gets cold, and you don’t have a semi-heated garage or something, this may be a problem for you in the future.
DC fast supercharging bypasses that whole rectifier and has DC power straight to the battery. The limit here is the state of charge of the battery. At low SOC, below 20% or so, the car can charge around 250kW, for an amazing rate of 1000 Miles per Hour. As the battery charges, the rate falls off more or less linearly. At around 80% SOC the rate will be 50 kW or so, still 5x faster than one can do with a Wall Connector. At a SC, one typically can go from a couple percent to 80% SOC in 20 minutes or so. Good for trips.

Now, for you and your house. You’ve apparently got a 120VAC socket in the garage. For various reasons, but especially cold weather, making that socket double its output power by doubling the voltage makes all sorts of sense. There’s actually a straightforwardish way to do this. First, look at your breaker panel. You’ll notice that there’s one or two vertical columns of breakers. Your house receives from the utility two “hots” and a neutral. Each of the hots is 120VAC to the neutral, but the hots are inverted from each other so, from hot to hot, you get 240VAC.

The two hots get bonded to two separate bus bars in the breaker box; the neutral gets connected to a third, bigger bus bar that surrounds the breaker box. Which incidentally is also bonded to a great big honking copper ground stake planted outside the house. If you look at the breakers, the first in a column is attached to the first hot; the next one down is attached to the second hot; the next back to the first hot, and so on. On a 120V circuit (lights, 120V sockets) there’s a single breaker in a single slot with (typically) a black wire coming off of it; a white wire from the ground/neutral bus bar is paired with that and off it goes into the house.

On a 240VAC circuit there’s two ganged breakers that go into adjacent slots in the column. You’ll see those ganged breakers on high power loads, like an air conditioner or electric stove. Each of the two ganged breakers picks up a hot; there’s two wires coming off the breakers with 240VAC between them; add a ground and/or neutral wire, and off the bundle goes into the house.

So, if your garage 120VAC socket is on its own circuit, with nothing else, the general procedure would be to:
  1. Remove the 15A, 120VAC outlet in its entirety.
  2. Replace it with a 240VAC, 15A single socket, using the original hot on one 240V leg and the original neutral on the other 240VAC leg, and the ground wire on the ground.
  3. In the breaker box, disconnect both the single hot wire and the neutral wire on that circuit. Install a double, 15A 240 breaker in an available pair of slots, and connect the old single hot and neutral to the breakers.
The above may sound easy, but it’s trivial to electrocute oneself. Only do this personally if you’re experienced playing with city power. Otherwise, hire an electrician.

Finally: if your breaker box can handle the current and is, say, not so far from the garage, think hard about getting a Wall Connector from Tesla or somebody else and getting it installed by a pro. Yeah, it’ll set you back a grand or so, but it’ll be convenient and then you can leave the mobile connector in the trunk, where it belongs 😁 .
Great write up. Easy to understand.

Yeah, piggybacking onto what RandyS said. While I have been charging one of my EVs on and off over the years on a 20A/120V circuit, at one time, the GFCI receptacle that it was plugged into eventually keeled over and died in a fiery melted plastic mess. The receptacle was outside so I got some smoke marks on my stucco, but the metal receptacle box contained the damage as it was designed to do. It may have been more dicey if that had been inside. I simply replaced the receptacle with the most heavy duty one I could find and it’s been fine since.

Reactions: DuncanM
Aside from what others have posted, keep an eye on that 120v outlet and make sure that it doesn't overheat. Sounds like you'll be running it at 100% rated capacity for over 24 hours straight. Personally, to be safe, I would replace the receptacle with a commercial one and make sure that the wires connect by wrapping around the screw terminals and not the spring-loaded backstab connections (which tend to get loose over time and could overheat when charging for many hours at a time)...Enjoy your new car!!!.
Yeah, let's get into safety margins, fusing, and wires.

So, the United Laboratories, of "UL" fame, and the National Electric Code, written by electricians, engineers, and PhD's everywhere, standing in the smoking ruins of houses where Things Didn't Work Out Well, have put together a bunch of standards. Which, if followed correctly, means that, in general, a house won't burn down due to properly installed wiring.

And when I say, "smoking ruins", I'm not kidding. Follow me here: All wires have resistance, measured in ohms. Ohm's law says the voltage down the length of a wire is equal to the resistance of the times the current flowing through said wire. That is, V = I * R, where I is current and R is resistance.

Now, the power dissipated (as in, heating up the wire, just like the heaters in an electric stove) is the voltage across the length of wire times the current through that wire. Or, P = I * V. But! V = I * R, so, doing a little substituting, we get P = I*I*R, where R is the resistance of said length of wire, I^2 is the square of the current flowing through the wire, and P is the power being dissipated.

You've probably noticed this heating effect with the household vacuum cleaner. Run it for a while, then touch the cord. It will be warm. But not hot enough to scorch things, vacuum cleaner manufacturers aren't idiots.

So, the bigger the gauge of wire, the lower the resistance of a particular length of said wire. The smaller the gauge of wire, the bigger.

The deal is, it's perfectly possible to run enough current through a wire to get it to the point where said wire melts. If said wire is inside cable, mounted inside a wall, before the wire melts, it'll catch the wall on fire. (This is done for demo purposes in EE201 classes everywhere.)

So, the NEC and the people who wrote it are all over this, "let's heat up the world until it catches on fire!" bit. Remember that copper (or any metallic conductor) costs $$, so there's this push to make the wire as thin as possible. I use 30 GA wire (that's the tiny stuff) when building electronics widgetry where the current is down in the milliamps or so. When one is playing with, say, 1000A, then one starts playing with Great Big Honking Bus Bars.

Now, say that one is playing with a standard 15A circuit. The breaker, whose purpose is to Save The Day when there's a short out there, is rated so that at exactly 15A it's got a roughly 50-50 chance of opening up. The Wire that's runs from the breaker to the load is designed so that, if one has a 15A load for some reason, said wire won't get hot enough to burn the house. And the socket, at the end of the run, is designed to handle 15A, so that if one plugs in a vacuum cleaner or coffee pot, the socket won't melt and burst into flames.

But there's this thing: Say that one plugs in a vacuum cleaner and turns it on. Or a lightbulb. In the first instants of being turned on, while the motor in the vacuum cleaner is just beginning to turn or the light bulb is just warming up, one will get a lot more current than that 15A circuit is rated for. But that's OK: Within a second or less, the current drops to below 15A and everybody's happy, and the breakers are designed to prevent nuisance trips. (Breakers designed to be hooked up to big honking motors are sometimes labeled, "slow blow", with this characteristic in mind.) Breakers are designed so that, if there's a short (or partial short) out there, they will pop open on an 1.5X or 2X overcurrent or some such before the wires in the wall get hot enough to burn the place down, slow blow or no slow blow.

But, the NEC states, and I'm with them on this: If one has a long duration, high-current load, then the maximum current on that circuit shall be 80% of the circuit rating. Period.

No nuisance trips from Ye Breaker. No wearing out the breaker early, either: A busted breaker might not trip when one needs it in an emergency. And all the tables about wire size and heating, which is for long-term loads, aren't violated.

Tesla isn't stupid, nor do they want their car buyers to burn their houses down. Got a NEMA5-15 socket adapter (standard 15A 120 VAC plug) on your mobile connector? Maximum current the car will draw will be 15A * 80% = 12A, for 1440 W. If one has a NEMA5-20 socket (that's the one with a right-angle blade, see the link to the chart) and the adapter, one can draw 20A * 80% = 16A, for 1,920W, and get a couple more miles of charge per hour. Note that, in this case, both the wire in the wall and the breaker in the box have to be rated for that 20A.

Take that wall connector in my garage that I mentioned in a previous post. I said that, with it, I can charge the car at 240 VAC and 48A. Think about that 48A. No, there's not a 48A breaker in the breaker panel: There's a 60A (48A/80%) breaker and copper wiring that's also good for 60A, hardwired into the wall connector.

Which brings up a snivvy, often mumbled about in the forum. So, as it happens, there are people out there who buy electric cooking ranges that run at 32A and 240 VAC. So, if one is using such a thing, one would follow the 80% rule and use a 40A socket, wire rated for 40A, and a 40A breaker. Fine.

But check out that link to "NEMA", up above. There are 15A sockets; 20A sockets; 30A sockets; and 50A sockets, but, sure and begorrah, there aren't any 50A sockets. So the NEC says, in the specialized case of Ye Electric Range, that one can use a NEMA15-50 socket for that 40A circuit, backed up by wire that's good for 40A and a breaker that's labelled 40A. Because 40A wire is cheaper than 50A wire. And, so long as one does all that, one is safe.

Until some cock-a-mamie Tesla guy with a NEMA15-50 adapter on the mobile connector plugs into it, because of course, by now, any labels that were placed on this install are long gone. And the person doing the plugging wouldn't necessarily have a clue, anyway. So, for at least that reason, the Tesla Mobile Connector with a NEMA15-50 adapter on it will only draw 32A. The Tesla guys can't tell if it's a true 50A circuit or a 40A circuit, so, in the interests of Not Burning Down The House, the current is limited to 32A.

Now, it's possible to find a Tesla Wall Connector that can be connected to a NEMA15-50. But, in that case, the Wall Connector has settings where one tells the Wall Connector the amperage of the circuit to which it's connected. And the car will, when informed by the CPU in the Wall Connector what the ampacity of the circuit looks like, will follow the 80% rule. Only a suicidal person would configure the Wall Connector for a higher current than what the circuit it's hooked up to is good for.

Finally: Turns out that in many locales. if one has a socket in a garage, one is supposed to have a GFCI socket or breaker on that socket. For 240VAC, the costs of said GFCI and socket (a good socket, one that can last) are equal to or really close to the cost of a Tesla Wall Connector. At which point, one asks oneself, "Why make life more complicated and unsafe? If I'm going to add a high-power charging circuit anyway, why not spend the relatively small amount of money for the heavier wire, throw in the Tesla Wall Connector, and be done?"

And a lot of people do that. On the other hand, if the garage already has a 240 VAC socket for some reason, or there's a clothes drier outlet in the garage, or the garage is detached and there's a sub-panel in the garage, but it certainly isn't good for an additional 60A, it makes sense to cheap out, go with the flow, and maybe buy a spare TMC cable to leave permanently hooked in.

And there's the issue about Just How Big Is That Breaker Panel, Anyway? My house is relatively new construction, had plenty of spare slots, and the breaker panel was good for 200A, so adding a 60A duplex breaker wasn't a problem. Not to mention that the breaker panel was in the garage. But there are 100A service breaker panels out there, I've actually seen 60A service panels, and so on. FWIW, a lot of states (New Jersey, for one, but there's others) will subsidize either the installation of a car wall connector, a bigger breaker panel, or an increased current drop from the power pole, or some subset of those, all in the interests of Clean Energy, so chase around your government web sites on Google to find out. Assuming that you don't just go for the Simple Solution of converting your 120 VAC socket to 240 VAC 😁 .

Greetings, new owner here, just purchased a new 2023 RW model 3, 2 weeks ago. Boy what a fun learning experience. So far my charging has been 120V outlet works fine for my short daily trips. My question is I just took a 148 mile trip. Is it ok to charge on 120V for 24 or more hours continuous ? Is this detrimental to battery health/life.
We too bought a new model 3 RWD a few weeks ago. Ours has the Chinese battery that charges to 100% routinely. She charges every other day or every third day when she gets to 50 - 90 mile range. Our experience from a battery at 5% to 100% charge is that 7 hours or so is enough. We set our car to start charging at 9:00 PM and it’s always at 99% or so when we get up at 6:30 AM. So, I’m not understanding how your 220 could take 24 hours. You may may be using a 220 that is throttled in some way.

We too bought a new model 3 RWD a few weeks ago. Ours has the Chinese battery that charges to 100% routinely. She charges every other day or every third day when she gets to 50 - 90 mile range. Our experience from a battery at 5% to 100% charge is that 7 hours or so is enough. We set our car to start charging at 9:00 PM and it’s always at 99% or so when we get up at 6:30 AM. So, I’m not understanding how your 220 could take 24 hours. You may may be using a 220 that is throttled in some way.
To charge from 5% to 100% in 7 hours means that you are charging at 240v/30amps not 120v at ~12amps as per the post you replied to.

Reactions: E90alex
And make sure that the junctions through any other plug boxes on the same circuit are not daisy chained using the backstab method (left-hand example below). They should be done solidly, either using morettes, or at least by using the side screws on the outlets. Otherwise, the fire you're trying to avoid could happen somewhere else in the house.

What are Daisy Chained & Back-Stabbed Receptacles? - Charles Buell Consulting LLC

This is part of why I think that for daily charging, you should install a dedicated circuit for the purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Great post. I myself was just going to plug the car into a regular outlet with extension cord. i only drive 100 miles per week and could leave it plugged into for 24-48 hours at a time but now seeing 1. inefficiency 2.potential for a fire

any other solutions besides putting a level2 charger or using the supercharger?

TIA

Great post. I myself was just going to plug the car into a regular outlet with extension cord. i only drive 100 miles per week and could leave it plugged into for 24-48 hours at a time but now seeing 1. inefficiency 2.potential for a fire

TIA
This comes under the filing system in the "YMMV" category.

First off: If you have an outlet in a garage and the garage was built in Recent Times, then it's likely that that one outlet is on its own breaker. (This comes under the category that, in your kitchen, say, every major appliance gets its own outlet and circuit breaker. One for the fridge, one for the stove, even if it's gas, one for the microwave, one for the garbage disposal, and one for the dishwasher.) It's only the outlets on the countertop that might be daisy-chained.

The above comes from watching a Master Electrician, who happened to be my across-the-street neighbor, do the electrical work to code on a kitchen reno in the house. It was a pretty enlightening education.

Further, if you take a careful look at that garage outlet socket, you might notice that one of the usual vertical blades has a kind of right-angle cross in it. That's a sure-fire sign of it being a NEMA5-20 (20 Ampere) socket, rather than the more usual run-of-the-mill 15A socket. Like this:
1691948869946.png

(From Wikipedia).
If there's a single breaker for the garage outlet and/or the outlet is a NEMA5-20, then I'd suggest you can plug your TMC into that and Never Worry about overloading the socket. And, if it is, indeed, a NEMA5-20, you could even get the appropriate adapter from Tesla and go from 4.5 Miles of Charge per Hour to 6, maybe, since you'll be going from 12A to 16A at 120VAC.

Second thing: NEC says that those outlets, even with all the different weird ways of putting them together, are good for a nominal 15A, max, 12A continuous load. Now, plugging in multiple vacuum cleaners on a single 15A circuit is going to pop the breaker and is frowned upon; but if it's one chain of outlets on a single breaker in your garage, well, just don't run the weed-whacker and/or electric mower when you're charging your car.

Far be it from me to dissuade you from getting a Wall Connector and hard-wiring it to 240 VAC. Besides the convenience, you get faster charging, a more reliable setup, and it'll all work if it gets dead cold out, which the L1 charging may have an issue with.

Reactions: brianbcc

TIA
Not really. A 120v outlet can work if you make sure it's wired properly, but using an extension cord on a daily basis is just not a good idea. I strongly encourage you to put in a dedicated charging circuit of some sort, located so you don't need an extension cord.

Reactions: brianbcc