Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v (cigar) Socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walking into the golf club car park last evening there was a chap looking at his flat tyre. Hmm, I thought, I have a 12v difital tyre inflator in the garage, I must put that in the boot of my car. I did that this morning and then spent 20 mins looking for the 12v (cigar) socket; could not find it, looked in the owners manual; could not find it . . . . . . where is it???

Pics from the manual :
GUID-AF5708A0-F8FD-41B8-8561-188192E96A65-online-en-US.png

If it's a MY you also have a second one in the boot on the left well
GUID-3DE94883-C3B1-44A5-9D00-79D004732127-online-en-US.png

Walking into the golf club car park last evening there was a chap looking at his flat tyre. Hmm, I thought, I have a 12v difital tyre inflator in the garage, I must put that in the boot of my car. I did that this morning and then spent 20 mins looking for the 12v (cigar) socket; could not find it, looked in the owners manual; could not find it . . . . . . where is it???

I found that from the forum yesterday! Pleased to know there is another soul who figured this out after me :)
Never bothered to look there, I am ashamed of myself! In the supposedly high tech Tesla world 12v was the least highlighted or reviewed item, so never bothered to look for it! It is almost 21/2 years before knowing that model 3 also has a 12v!

During my younger days I use that for only one purpose - just as it says on the tin. I remember in those days when I buy cars I used to look for two of them as standard - as one will be occupied with that old lovely tomtom, so you need a second 12v lighter to light a cigarette. Since stopped smoking I have never looked for it and I guess my love for tomtom had died with that too!

Just be aware that on the newer vehicles with Li-Ion low voltage batteries, the voltage from the cigarette lighter socket is somewhat higher than the max 14.4V you would expect from a 12V lead acid battery. EDIT: I think there are more details in the manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: unhyphy