Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone do an aftermarket dash cam install utilizing 12v constant and switched 12v in older Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 and I'm going to go with a Thinkware F790 2 channel setup. I like the fact that it goes into low power parking mode when switched 12v is off. This will allow cameras to only record if motion is sensed around the car and or an impact. I know there's a 12v constant source above the rear view mirror in the grill but I do want the switched 12v also, so I'm going with a different location to tap power. Anyone have any experiences to share wiring this way? Any issues with low battery voltage?

Reactions: EstebanP212
Teslatap should have detailed info re: switched 12v power on the classic MS. Accessory Power Guide 12v/5v – TeslaTap

Relatedly, there's no need to be concerned about running down the 12v battery. The DC-DC converter will top up your 12v even when you are not in the vehicle. So it's OK to keep your dashcam running 24/7.

What I did because I wanted parking mode recording is go with a Blackvue because they trigger parking mode with speed. Will enter and exit parking mode based off whether the car has been stationary for a few mins. Just constant power and no need for switched power at all. Have been running a DR900S for 5 years and DR900X for 2 years without issue

Last edited:
Reactions: shawndh1
Teslatap should have detailed info re: switched 12v power on the classic MS. Accessory Power Guide 12v/5v – TeslaTap

Relatedly, there's no need to be concerned about running down the 12v battery. The DC-DC converter will top up your 12v even when you are not in the vehicle. So it's OK to keep your dashcam running 24/7.

What I did because I wanted parking mode recording is go with a Blackvue because they trigger parking mode with speed. Will enter and exit parking mode based off whether the car has been stationary for a few mins. Just constant power and no need for switched power at all. Have been running a DR900S for 5 years and DR900X for 2 years without issue
I didn’t know the Blackvue worked that way. Oh well, I’ve already purchased the camera. I just don’t need all that footage when parked. I’ll check out that link. Thanx.