Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Lighter accessory doesn't fit with tray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my phone uses a proprietary DASH charger that is particularly compelling for me to use not only because it charges so much faster, but because it bypasses the phone's charger and keeps the phone MUCH cooler when it's charging AND being used (ie WAZE). Anyway, the dash charger isn't that big, see image below, but when the 12V charger is inserted and the USB plug is in place, the tray no longer will sit in the top of the center console. In order to use this charger I have to remove the tray. Anyone else have a similar issue? Any solutions? I bought a 12V splitter, thinking I could drop the connection down below, but the splitter itself sticks out too far for the tray!

OnePlus-Dash-Car-Charger_fonearena-02.jpg

So my phone uses a proprietary DASH charger that is particularly compelling for me to use not only because it charges so much faster, but because it bypasses the phone's charger and keeps the phone MUCH cooler when it's charging AND being used (ie WAZE). Anyway, the dash charger isn't that big, see image below, but when the 12V charger is inserted and the USB plug is in place, the tray no longer will sit in the top of the center console. In order to use this charger I have to remove the tray. Anyone else have a similar issue? Any solutions? I bought a 12V splitter, thinking I could drop the connection down below, but the splitter itself sticks out too far for the tray!

OnePlus-Dash-Car-Charger_fonearena-02.jpg
Are you saying it doesn’t fit, because the 12v adaptor sticks out too far? What about a lower profile usb adaptor, like this one?

A19E1873-E8F2-4AE4-8DA7-E626A95C816F.jpeg

AUKEY Car Charger, Flush Fit Dual Port 4.8A Output for iPhone X / 8 / 7 / Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / mini, Samsung Galaxy Note8 / S8 / S8+ and More - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6QODH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Gv99AbR8GNGKN

If I were in your shoes I would go for one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/Teslas-3-Soc...8-18&keywords=12v+cigarette+lighter+extension

It will relocate your socket so that you can use the larger DASH charger but also add some extra plugs and USB ports for charging while your at it.

Note: I have not personally used this device so I cannot comment if it fits under the tray. I have my Blackvue plugged in under the tray and it barely clears. Im surprised that spliter you purchased doesnt fit.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: lemketron
If I were in your shoes I would go for one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/Teslas-3-Soc...8-18&keywords=12v+cigarette+lighter+extension

It will relocate your socket so that you can use the larger DASH charger but also add some extra plugs and USB ports for charging while your at it.

Note: I have not personally used this device so I cannot comment if it fits under the tray. I have my Blackvue plugged in under the tray and it barely clears. Im surprised that spliter you purchased doesnt fit.
I'd be really interested if this fits. I have a radar detector that I want to add.

• Helpful
My 12V adapter is unique and can't be swapped (see first post)
Oh, didn’t realize the part that goes into the 12V outlet IS the DASH charger! Thought maybe the charger was in the black box.

I was looking at getting one of those 12V splitter devices, and routing it up to the front bin, but the caliber of the cable gives me pause, as I imagine it will require cutting a sizable notch in the side of the bin lining, to allow the cable to exit the side rail.

Also, based on where the metal contacts are located on both the Te-Rich and Tesla’s versions, I think there’s a good chance they will also interfere with the tray, even with the 90 degree origin of their cables. Hopefully @jamnmon66 will prove this wrong!
Getting really excited! 2.5 more days! I'm getting a partial wrap scheduled drop off an hour or two after delivery (what's another couple of days?). Assuming that the extension/splitter arrives from Amazon beforehand, I'll bring it with me to test it. Otherwise we might need to wait until I get it back from the body shop.

Reactions: fseir