Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13 day Vacation with LFP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leave it at 30-50% plugged in, set charge limit to 50%, and charge to 100% when you get back.

And turn off Sentry mode (though it doesn’t really matter, since it will turn off at 20%).

It’ll charge to 50% of course the first night (or earlier!) unless you stop it. Doesn’t matter. You can leave it unplugged, but it leads to potential lack of convenience (I always plug in my car unless I forget, which usually ends up being annoying).

Last edited:
Agree that plugged in with the charge level set to 50% is an easy way to keep it from self-draining down to zero while keeping it below the 70% level that may reduce battery capacity loss. Charge it back up to 100% when you get back if you need the higher charge level or are concerned about BMS inaccuracy.

Does it really matter on an LFP though? I mean I can understand not leaving it at 100% but still...
It may matter less for LFP, but leaving it plugged in with the charge target set at 50% avoids the two usual sources of worry during long term parking without much effort:
  • Concern about battery degradation at high state of charge.
  • Concern about vampire drain reducing the state of charge below 0%.
Of course, if the long term parking is in a place where it cannot be left plugged in, then you need to figure out how much vampire drain there is and leave it with enough charge so that, after any vampire drain during the long term parking, there is still enough charge to drive it to where it can be plugged in to recharge.

All of the above apply to NCA or NMC batteries as well as LFP batteries.

Reactions: XPsionic