Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13amp 3 pin charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have to change any car settings to use a 3 pin charger.

Mostly I use a wallbox but in a few weeks will be using a 3 pin and don't want to trip the fuses (or burn the place down)
The Tesla UMC has a reputation for generating quite a large residual current when it kicks in. Some people, myself included have had issues with them tripping RCDs' If that happens you can either plug into a different circuit or figure out what else is generating a residual current on that circuit ( not easy) and eliminate them so that the total is not over the RCD max.

The Tesla UMC has a reputation for generating quite a large residual current when it kicks in. Some people, myself included have had issues with them tripping RCDs' If that happens you can either plug into a different circuit or figure out what else is generating a residual current on that circuit ( not easy) and eliminate them so that the total is not over the RCD max.
Absolutely agree with Jason71. I had loads of small residual leakages and only one rcd for the whole installation. Put in a new high integrity split board with 50a rcbo for future evse charge point. I was planning to do this anyway so it just tipped the balance. 2 years later still using UMC but with 32a adaptor.

I have purchased one of those 3 pin plug checkers, similar to this and keep it in my glove box. So in an emergency if I am charging my car off a family/friends 3 pin plug socket using the granny charger I can check that socket is wired OK before plugging in. Not sure how useful it is as I have never had to charge off the granny charger so far.
That is a really good idea. I've just ordered one for myself.

rather than a plug checker (or maybe as well as) get yourself a smart plug, one of those cheap wifi plugs. Make sure it's rated for 13A (I think they all are) and has thermal protection.
I've had a couple of instances over the last few years where using someone's old plug socket in their garage has resulted in the plug getting so hot it's started to melt (this is also possible if you use an extension lead) but poor contact on the plug pins from an old socket could result in a fire.
Most smart plugs have thermal cutoffs that will shut the power off if the plug gets too hot, and then back on when it's cooled. You can even get ones that can check the socket polarity/earth and monitor how much power you've consumed if, for example, you agreed to pay at a holiday let.
They don't need wifi to work, you could just ignore that, it's just cheaper to get one that has an app.