Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Nema outlet /mobile connector wall mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know where I can install 50amp breaker in my Panal?

Attachments

• 00D77BC3-B739-4786-9B70-C54BF1E49BA7.jpeg
    00D77BC3-B739-4786-9B70-C54BF1E49BA7.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 82
Do you know where I can install 50amp breaker in my Panal?
1. Please start a new thread for separate questions - it helps keep discussions on track and easier to follow.
2. It may be possible to add a breaker but you’d have to swap out breakers of for tandem breakers. You may be better off installing a subpanel. I would definitely advise consulting with a licensed elecctrician.

Reactions: brkaus
I plan on having someone install a 14-50 Nema outlet in my garage. I also plan on purchasing another mobile connector from Tesla to keep in the car when needed.

What’s the best way to wall mount the permanent mobile connector I’ll have in my garage so that the cable isn’t laying on the ground?
Check on the total costs. The tesla mobile charger ends up being about $300 with the proper plugs and if you install an outlet in your garage code requires it to be GFCI protected, adding about $100 to the cost. If you install a wall connector you avoid the GFCI requirement so it’s not that much more. Plus it looks better and is more secure.
Realistically, the only reason you'd need to have the mobile connector with you is if you intend to plug in at your destination, like a friend's house. I'm going to visit my parents next week and plan to bring my MC with me so I can plug into their 110 outlet in the garage, mainly just to see how much charge I get overnight. Haven't used a 110 yet, as I have the 14-50 outlet here at home.
As a rule, I always keep my mobile connector in the car specifically for unexpected emergencies.

Realistically, the only reason you'd need to have the mobile connector with you is if you intend to plug in at your destination, like a friend's house. I'm going to visit my parents next week and plan to bring my MC with me so I can plug into their 110 outlet in the garage, mainly just to see how much charge I get overnight. Haven't used a 110 yet, as I have the 14-50 outlet here at home.

The 110/120v connection is slow as molasses... I think mine was actually slowly losing charge when pre-conditioning lol.

I carry a 14-30 adapter and extension cord in the frunk for when I travel so I can get somewhat fast charging at any house that has a dryer outlet

Its not only important to hang the charging cord so it does not lay on the floor. You should use a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector Chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a both a charging cable hook and a bracket for the electronics unit (what Tesla calls the Mobile Connector chassis.) It is important that the Mobile Connector chassis not be left to hang only supported by the power plug and receptacle (see post#2 for what not to do.) Over time the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis will pull on the molded plug. The plug can fail and then stop working, even overheat and start a fire.

Cable Organizer

You can also find similar products on Amazon and on Etsy.
It doesn't hurt the Mobile Connector cord to have it lay on the floor. I plug my MC into the wall at the front of my car and let it lay on the floor back to where I need to plug it in. Been doing this for 4 Teslas over many years. It is not where I will step on the cable; it just lays there. The "Chassis" also hangs from the outlet, and has for years.

Unless you have some directive from Tesla, I don't see anything wrong with just letting it lay.

It doesn't hurt the Mobile Connector cord to have it lay on the floor. I plug my MC into the wall at the front of my car and let it lay on the floor back to where I need to plug it in. Been doing this for 4 Teslas over many years. It is not where I will step on the cable; it just lays there. The "Chassis" also hangs from the outlet, and has for years.

Unless you have some directive from Tesla, I don't see anything wrong with just letting it lay.
I'm glad its been working for you for many years.

Here is Tesla's description of the Cable Organizer: Store your Corded Mobile Connector with the newly redesigned Cable Organizer. This product features a sturdy bracket to keep your cables neatly stowed and a chassis holder to reduce additional wear and tear on your adaptor and outlet.

(Taking the weight of the Tesla Mobile Connector chassis off of the power receptacle and power plug adapter isn't just marketing hype.)

If you use the Mobile Connector only when traveling then it won't be a concern because of the intermittent use. The amount of wear and tear is spread out over time, potentially many different charging locations.

For long term installation and use any type of support, even a shoelace and a single hook or nail will relieve the strain on the receptacle and plug.

Last edited: