Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

145K - Sept. 2013, Model S P85 Silver, North Jersey: Journal / Log

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my operation log since delivery.
Very happy.
Would not go back to another Tesla driving & service LOG rev 12-16-2017 pg01.jpg Tesla driving & service LOG rev 12-16-2017 pg02.jpg mouth breather...
Will keep this car until... Until the end.

First off - LOVE IT. Things like this really help understand runnkng costs examples, help identify patterns etc. I do mine manually in a log book for my cars, but I probably will switch to excel now, that’s just easier to calculate and read data.

I noticed a lot of HPWC work. Is that the charger port, unit on Wall (noticed melted on one entry), other etc.? Just seems crazy that many failures on a device that just connects power?

I have a mild rubbing sound front left tire (not at all speeds, and testing angles etc.). 90% sure it’s just a wheel bearing, replaced enough of them over the decades. Good to see your repairs with this and miles similar to my vehicle - helps understand potential same issue.

Sorry for any typos on my iPhone ;)

@Iluvpcs: Thanks. I think sharing data like this is one of the main values of a forum like this...

The HPWC had charger head melting in all cases, and one failed port additionally in one case. I failed to note in my log that the car has never been garaged and the HPWC is outside to the weather as well. I was told by the Ranger that they had a bad batch early on (at least in the NE) and these are slowly being switched over.

My worn front wheel bearing noise was a soft, high pitched whine @ 60mph that changed (on a smooth surface so as to hear it) when ever so slightly, the wheel was turned...

That’s crazy on the charger issues.

Im inside on charger - installed 6 gauge with a short 40’ run, so I set it up at only at 48 amps (@ 240v roughly 12 KW/Hr). I leave it at 42 Amps 99% of the time and never have had a hot cable yet to the touch, I wonder if you were at 80 AMPs/16KW that did it with heat issue over time (I’ve used 1/2 dozen times HPWC at 80 Amps when traveling at hotels etc). Just surprising to me with that many failures is all.

@Iluvpcs: wired with copper (<8' from panel in cellar) for 100A. Always charged at 80A. HPWC assembly itself never failed - always the connector tip - see photo... This one felt like a soldering iron when handling.

Attachments

• Tesla burned connector plug 2015-06-28.jpg
    Tesla burned connector plug 2015-06-28.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 48
@Nick B: Glad you find it useful...
The annual service (you can see I liberally skip around with the intervals) is very useful as a "go-over" and allows Tesla to service interim hardware updates and other concerns that software updates can't address.

On the subject of long term cost, I may have a different take on the meaning of "cost". If I was solely looking at $$cost of ownership sans the warranty and all the goodwill Tesla has extended me after it's expiration, this car would be amongst the biggest lemons imaginable. As it is an earlier vin, many people like myself have been beta-testers - later cars have many fewer problems. It is possible, too that I may have gotten a Tesla lemon.

Regardless the problems, this car still scratches all the itches and outperforms anything else on the road with seemingly no diminution of performance over time. What further COO criteria does one need?

Reactions: Nick B
@Nick B: Glad you find it useful...
The annual service (you can see I liberally skip around with the intervals) is very useful as a "go-over" and allows Tesla to service interim hardware updates and other concerns that software updates can't address.

On the subject of long term cost, I may have a different take on the meaning of "cost". If I was solely looking at $$cost of ownership sans the warranty and all the goodwill Tesla has extended me after it's expiration, this car would be amongst the biggest lemons imaginable. As it is an earlier vin, many people like myself have been beta-testers - later cars have many fewer problems. It is possible, too that I may have gotten a Tesla lemon.

Regardless the problems, this car still scratches all the itches and outperforms anything else on the road with seemingly no diminution of performance over time. What further COO criteria does one need?

Thanks for the info, I have myself a 2014 and I've had a few door handles, the HVAC pump, parking brake, front hood latch replaced as well as some adjustments made on the suspension. Like you said, Tesla has been very proactive but I do get the feeling that the changed components are usually better than their original version so I'm not too worried about the long term maintenance costs. Sure, there will be some but I'm not expecting something exorbitant considering the number of yearly miles I do with the car.