Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 Fast DC for MA, as ZEV states roll out policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

3mp_kwh

Feb 13, 2013
Boston
It doesn't excuse Tesla from not installing a single supercharger, but MA is making some positive announcements:

"The state has also created a $2.5 million fund to offer incentives for municipalities and colleges to buy electric vehicles and install charging stations, and under the Clean Vehicle Grant Program has put funding in place for approximately 15 DC fast-charging stations to be located along interstate travel routes."

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_25...ins-other-states-clean-car-plan#ixzz33CYb7Qcu

Is DC fast charging (I assume this means Chademo) really practical along interstate travel routes? It's drive for an hour, charge for an hour, drive for an hour, charge for an hour. Wouldn't it be better for states to emphasize more destination charging for EVs that have the range to get somewhere? The Leaf, i3, etc. just aren't intended for long distance trips.

^ I think there is L2 in the policy, as well, and Fast DC is better than CHAdeMo (~90kw?). Other auto manufacturers may be stupid for a lot, or a little, bit longer, but rest assured that Tesla invited the longer mileage fish, and along they will come.

Is DC fast charging (I assume this means Chademo) really practical along interstate travel routes? It's drive for an hour, charge for an hour, drive for an hour, charge for an hour. Wouldn't it be better for states to emphasize more destination charging for EVs that have the range to get somewhere? The Leaf, i3, etc. just aren't intended for long distance trips.
I think a Leaf charging on CHAdeMO is more like drive for an hour, charge for 30 min. Still pretty bad, but not nearly 1:1.

IMHO the problem with destination charging is that there has to be a LOT of them, hundreds or more to equal just a few highway based fast chargers since destination charging is by definition at destinations. There are a lot more destinations than there are highways.

Chicken and egg. Chargers don't get built because not enough EVs, not enough EVs because chargers aren't in place. If I'm in a Leaf and need to pick up an extra 30 miles to make it to my destination I'd rather stop at a DC fast charge than an L2 and it would encourage me to make longer trips. That in turn might encourage more adoption of EVs and an impetus for longer range packs. Destination charging is important, but if I can't conveniently make it to my destination the it's moot.

Even at higher charge:drive ratios the DC chargers can help drivers make trips but acting an emergency range extender.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO the problem with destination charging is that there has to be a LOT of them, hundreds or more to equal just a few highway based fast chargers since destination charging is by definition at destinations. There are a lot more destinations than there are highways.

And on-the-road DC chargers won't be occupied by PHEVs. ;)