Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 vs 19 wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi...I ordered the RWD Model 3 in the blue color about 2 weeks ago. I'm going back and forth regarding the 18 in or 19 in wheels. I'm in the medical field and have to visit folks at their homes and some homes are back down dirt roads here in NC. I would think that the 19 wheels would have better grip and would not get as scratched as the 18 in wheels with the covers on which I like. Also, being that the car is RWD I would also think the 19 in wheels would give better traction in the event of foul winter weather here which is few and far between. Any thoughts or insights?

TIA

1. The 18" wheel tire package comes with a tire that is very much optimized for range, and not for grip
  2. So the 19" wheel tire package WILL have better grip, but not because of the wheel!
  3. Foul weather grip would again be a function of the tires, not the wheels, you can change to whatever tires you need
  4. Nice thing about the aero covers is its a cheap fix if you do scratch them
  5. The 18"s would make for a smoother ride and less change of wheel damage on those dirt back roads
My rational advice is go with the 18"s and spend the savings on something sensible like drugs or retirement savings.

No question, stay with the 18's and save the money. They have better efficiency and the taller sidewalls are less prone flats and will protect the rims better.

Tire type/brand/compound/tread etc. will have more of an impact on traction than 1" in diameter by far.