Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs. 20" wheels/tires -- comfort difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the car is smart enough to make a good guess. Out of 17.3% of my consumed battery, I lost 0.3% to tire pressure after a 40-mile trip at highway speeds. Multiplying that out, it’s a 1.8% loss in efficiency, all other things being equal. My tire pressures were between 36-38 for the entire drive.

View attachment 929563
Well that isn’t bad at all! Worth it if it makes a difference in the life of the tire and the performance/comfort of the car.

I have aftermarket 18” winter tires, factory 19” Geminis, and 21” Überturbines. The weight difference between them is substantial; my winter 18’s weigh about 45 lbs each compared to 70 lbs for the 21” Übers. I was really surprised how little the difference in ride was between them.

I found tire pressure to have a much bigger effect on ride quality. Lowering to 36 PSI made far more of an impact than switching between 21” and 18” wheels.

I assume those weights are with the tires? The reason I say this is that I've found different tires to drastically weigh differently among each other. What brand tire and size did you put on the 19" Geminis?

I'm wondering what the exact weight of the 19" Geminis are so that I can be better educated with my 19" wheel purchase. I.e. - I want to buy lighter (lighter = less unsprung weight = more range) wheels within a reasonable price range.

Here's what I gathered so far:

Gemini 255/45-19 x 9.5; 45mm offset; xx lbs?
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4; 255/45-19; 27 lbs

Front Überturbines 255/35-21 x 9.5; 40mm offset; 38 lbs?
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4; 255/35-21; 28 lbs

Rear Überturbines 275/35-21 x 10.5; 48mm offset; 38 lbs?
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4; 275/35-21; 30 lbs

Kim Java’s old 18” wheels
Gemini 255/45-18; 21.1 lbs
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 235/45-18; 26 lbs

I assume those weights are with the tires? The reason I say this is that I've found different tires to drastically weigh differently among each other. What brand tire and size did you put on the 19" Geminis?

I'm wondering what the exact weight of the 19" Geminis are so that I can be better educated with my 19" wheel purchase. I.e. - I want to buy lighter (lighter = less unsprung weight = more range) wheels within a reasonable price range.

Here's what I gathered so far:

Gemini 255/45-19 x 9.5; 45mm offset; xx lbs?
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4; 255/45-19; 27 lbs

Front Überturbines 255/35-21 x 9.5; 40mm offset; 38 lbs?
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4; 255/35-21; 28 lbs

Rear Überturbines 275/35-21 x 10.5; 48mm offset; 38 lbs?
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4; 275/35-21; 30 lbs

Kim Java’s old 18” wheels
Gemini 255/45-18; 21.1 lbs
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 235/45-18; 26 lbs
See TSportline's Wheel Specs page for the Tesla Model Y.

The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

See TSportline's Wheel Specs page for the Tesla Model Y.

The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Thanks. I've seen those specs before. Unfortunately, their numbers don't add up since they appear to be heavier than real world measurements. Maybe they're trying to sell me their wheels? ;)

For ex, they are claiming 39 lbs for the rear Ubers. But real world measurements using a digital scale by iTesla/OutofSpec weigh this to be 68.8 lbs (tire/wheel/TPMS). The tire they had on were Pirelli PZero RFT's which have a spec weight of 33 lbs per Tire Rack. 68.8 - 33 = 35.8 lbs between the wheel and TPMS. But I guess in retrospect, 36 vs 39 lbs = still heavy. They claim the 19" Gemini's to be 30 lbs. That seems on the high side as well.

My bottomline is, never trust anyone who's trying to sell you something. (not saying they're lying, but just don't trust at face value)

Thanks. I've seen those specs before. Unfortunately, their numbers don't add up since they appear to be heavier than real world measurements. Maybe they're trying to sell me their wheels? ;)

For ex, they are claiming 39 lbs for the rear Ubers. But real world measurements using a digital scale by iTesla/OutofSpec weigh this to be 68.8 lbs (tire/wheel/TPMS). The tire they had on were Pirelli PZero RFT's which have a spec weight of 33 lbs per Tire Rack. 68.8 - 33 = 35.8 lbs between the wheel and TPMS. But I guess in retrospect, 36 vs 39 lbs = still heavy. They claim the 19" Gemini's to be 30 lbs. That seems on the high side as well.

My bottomline is, never trust anyone who's trying to sell you something. (not saying they're lying, but just don't trust at face value)
Originally the PMY with the Uber wheels came with 21" Pirelli summer performance tires. The assumed weight for the PMY front and rear wheel and tire combination may date to when the PMY was introduced.

The Gemini wheel spec may include the weight of the Gemini wheel covers which come with.

Their numbers look good to me. This is a Gemini wheel with OEM Continental ProContact RX with 8/32nds tread. The tire has about 2,000 miles on it.

As per Tsportline and TireRack specs, this should weigh:

29.6(wheel) + 26(tire) = 55.6

My weight:

IMG_4935.jpegIMG_4937.jpeg

Add in the hubcap…

IMG_4938.jpegIMG_4939.jpeg

I’m around 56. I can’t find a tire spec weight that’s more precise than to the pound, so I’d say Tsportline is dead on.

And no, I’m not dismounting to find out. 😁

Reactions: blonky and jcanoe