Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 years 2 months 2 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 years, 2 months, and 2 days ago I made a reservation for a Model 3, like just about everyone else here, without knowing much about what I was putting down a thousand dollars for — I knew I wanted an EV, and I knew that Tesla was the company making the most compelling car (and charging infrastructure) out there.

So, when a few weeks ago I was notified that my delivery date was set, and that I would be getting my car 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days after I first made a reservation it felt very serendipitous.

But...

Instead of sitting (right now, as my appointment was for noon today) in the Tesla showroom in Dedham, MA counting the minutes until I drive off the lot in my shiny, red Model 3. I am sitting at home, reading more posts about others taking ownership of their car.

Leading up to my scheduled appointment today, I hadn’t heard from my ISA. I knew I needed some finalized paperwork and, most importantly, that final cash amount so that I can get the needed cashiers check before my Saturday at noon appointment. So, on the Thursday before my scheduled delivery, I emailed my ISA to find out if and when I should be expecting my paperwork before delivery day. And... I got a an email auto-response notifying me my ISA was on vacation and would not return until much after my delivery day. It would have been nice if he reached out to let me know he wasn’t going to be around to answer any questions I might have (or anyone else preparing to take delivery) and provide contact information for a replacement ISA during his vacation. No biggie. I would just call Tesla — “We are experience high caller volume” — *sigh*

When I got through to someone, the customer service rep who answered was very polite and told me someone from my ISA’s team would call me back within 10 minutes after I explained my situation. And, I did get a call within 10 minutes — kudos. This ISA informed me that Tesla is woefully behind on contract paperwork for the cars and that he hopes I will have the needed paperwork by Friday (1 day before delivery), but if I do not receive it, they would allow me to use a personal check at delivery. Kudos again. So, I hang up, relieved that the lack of paperwork wasn’t a big deal. And relieved that the lack of communication wasn’t QC/inspection issues with my actual car.

Then, just a few minutes later the (replacement) ISA calls me back and tells me that my car is delayed and I won’t be able to take delivery on Saturday as I had planned. I asked the reason for the delay and was told it was simply transit delays along the journey from Fremont to Dedham, MA. So, now I am scheduled to take delivery on June 12th. 2 years, 2 months, and 12 days — doesn’t have the nice ring that 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days had. Oh well.

I am disappointed that there wasn’t any proactive communication about the delay. But, I am still looking forward to getting my car in 10 days (fingers crossed). I am an early adopter and a believer in what Tesla is trying to do. That being said, Tesla needs to get these customer experience issues fixed by the time they start selling these to people who aren’t about the vision of Tesla, but rather simply want a good, economical, practical, and sure sexy car.

I feel your pain!!

I went through just about the same experience before I took delivery on 5/11. I was told the car was in Joliet, IL, and would be "delivered" within the week. I had two cancelled delivery appointments before finally getting the one that counted. I was told the same story about transit delays - not enough car transports to get from Joliet to Westmont (~40 miles). How could it take ten days to do the last short segment after getting the car 2000 miles in a matter of days? I would suggest keeping on your delivery person by phone (not email) to check the status of your delivery..

As far as finalized paperwork, same experience. It wasn't until the day before I got the final price (cost + tax) - sort of disturbing. I had the same anxiety about a cashier's check only to find I could pay with a personal check (no problem whatsoever).

Like you I waited 25 1/2 months for my car. I read the horror stories about deliveries on this site. I even asked if my car was in a body shop being repaired for damage while in transit or if there was a serious mechanical issue. All the fears were for naught - car arrived with no (okay, very, very minor) issues and has been great. It's an awesome car (just graduated to autopark this afternoon). It was well worth the wait but kind of bumpy getting there.

Hang tight. Preserve. You'll love it.