Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order price changed by $5K!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my 3rd Tesla purchase, and never had this experience before. I saw an inventory M3 with a significant discount ($4720 - definitely high, but not unusual as several with similar amounts off were available across the US). I placed the order at 3:40pm on 9/7, the order agreement confirmed the pricing I was expecting, and I quickly got started with all the paperwork and arranging financing. On 9/8 with all the ducks in a row, I got to the point that afternoon where I could schedule an appointment. But going thru the app, turns out there were no times available and it gave me a number to call and schedule it. I tried several times, but just sent me bouncing around automated systems and never allowed me to talk to a human or even leave a message. But then at 4pm (still on 9/8) I received an email and text telling me that if I did not schedule a delivery by 4pm the following day, my order would be canceled.

I responded and explained that I was unable to schedule an appointment, but that I did indeed still want to. A little while later I got a text back at 4:43pm asking what day I could do it, and I responded suggesting a 9/14 delivery. Than nothing else - no response. I tried to schedule several times that next day (9/9) with still nothing available. I tried calling every number I could find, but could only get through to a service center in a different city around 1:00pm. They looked up my account, but couldn't schedule an appointment since it wasn't the right location, but promised to message the other delivery center through teams and said all would be well... Then at 4:01pm I received an email and text that my order was on hold. Bizarre to me that they did this after just 48 hours when I had diligently tried to schedule my delivery. But determined to make this happen, I followed the link, and reinstated my order and of course tried to schedule many times with no luck. Then this morning I get a text from my advisor at 10am offering a 9/14 delivery date - fantastic! I lock in my Carvana sell date and confirm the delivery date and time with Tesla. All set right?

But then I received the link to Purchase Agreement, and the $4720 discount was gone with the full price listed. I took a look at the order agreement, and it had changed too to the new price - luckily I downloaded the original one so I could see the change clearly. How could they just change the order agreement - this is supposed to be a document that governs our transaction and it was just changed? Very frustrating. At this point I assume it is a glitch and will be fixed, but this experience is so much worse than the past 2 purchases. And unfortunately I live in SC so I am over 2 hours from the nearest delivery location, but in the past communication was really good and if I needed to talk with someone, it was an easy phone call. If my experience is an indication of how the system works now, I am not a happy investor...

...But then I received the link to Purchase Agreement, and the $4720 discount was gone with the full price listed. I took a look at the order agreement, and it had changed too to the new price - luckily I downloaded the original one so I could see the change clearly. How could they just change the order agreement - this is supposed to be a document that governs our transaction and it was just changed?
Are the 2 different prices have the same VIN or different?

All appears to have been fixed, BUT it was only easy because I had a copy of my original order agreement. In my account, the order agreement got saved over with the new one (that did not have the discount), but luckily I had downloaded a copy prior to that happening. So moral of the story - as soon as you see an order agreement, save a copy to your computer.

Tesla did the same thing to my order... They pulled a fast one (released my vehicle VIN within a day of ordering) and made me "reconfigure" without the 5k discount and increased the total price under the same RN Order Number and over-wrote the original "agreement" in my account!

I have a printed hard copy of the original agreement (that I agreed to). There is specific language under "Order Process; Cancellation; Changes" and it says:

"You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within fourteen (14) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

Lesson learned, read what you sign and save a hard copy locally. Because with electronic copies saved on their server they can change it to whatever they want!