Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" MW03 install on my MYP - review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MYP for a month now, the first 550 miles or so with the factory 21" AS4s, the last 400 with 20" Martian MW03s and staggered AS4s. I thought I'd give my take on how they compare thus far.

Factory wheels/tires - handles pretty darn well... on very well prepared roads. You can feel every bump however on even the mildest of imperfect surfaces. On the other hand, it does provide great feedback and looks very aggressive. Handles pretty well in the rain - not amazing, but I'm not worried about driving in it if I need to.

20" MW03 w/ AS44s - went with 8.5"/255 and 9.5"/275 staggered. Cost - $2600 for wheels, $1200 for tires (before tax/shipping).

1) Sidewall is noticeably thicker with "perfect tire bulge" imo. This was one of my biggest gripes about the factory setup, they are wrapped crazy tight. What's the benefit of the new setup?

2) Ride quality. The difference in quality is night and day. I have a wife and two Corgis. The wife loves the new setup far more, no doubt about it. The real test are the Corgis though - dogs don't lie! Before they would sit up and brace themselves in the beds we have in the back seat, now they just take the bumps as they come. It's evident they are way more comfable and less stressed with the 20" and additional bulge.

3) Handling. The car has ever so much more roll, but its really not that big of a deal. On perfect roads you can feel the difference, to include the slightly less responsive feedback that comes from a stiffer ride. HOWEVER, I'd actually give the overall handling edge to the 20s! Why? Because 95% of roads aren't perfect! With the factory setup you can feel it slip/slide as it bounces over even the slightest of rough spots. Every bump causes slighly less contact with the road and jerks the wheel due the tighter wrapped and less forgiving 21s. By comparison, the meatier 20's deform ever so slightly to the small bumps, maintaining 100" contact, offering more grip and less jerky steering.

4) Better range. Both of these are subjective imo. The 20's have resulted in noticably less wh/mile, but it's hard to call the results scientific. By my estimates it should only improve around town range by 2-3%, highway less... insignificant compared to the difference in driving in cold weather vs warm, highway miles vs around town. So yes, I'm sure it's improved range, but "meh" says it all.

5) Acceleration. Yes, it's faster now. I think the new setup is around 17-18lbs lighter per corner. That's unsprung... equivalent to around 68-72lbs of sprung weight, or around 260-280lbs shaved off the body. I did about 25 pulls the day before and of but before install, another 25 or so after. I feel pretty confident in saying it's around 0.1-0.15 faster to 60mph. Not something most people can actually feel, but its an improvement worth talking about imo. It's likely even faster in the 1/4 mile... but I didn't want to test that on public roads.

6) Less chance of rubbing. The tire wall is just barely, oh so barely outside the rim, just enough to where it will contact a curb first.

7) Look. The MW03s look great in person. It's interesting how they look size wise though. The meatier tire makes the setup look more aggressive... at the same time the smaller rim gives the perception of a less full wheel well... that the overall diameter is less despite being the same. Ultimately though, I love it and gives it an aggressive look. The funny part however is that some people seem to think, at first glance, it's factory wheels without the caps lol. It doesn't take long to realize they aren't, but its annoying. Small potatoes though - in the end they look absolutely amazing.

Hope my review was helfpul! I will provide an update once I get and install my UPP mild spirt springs!

Attachments

• 20220402_093425.jpg
    20220402_093425.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 613
  • 20220402_093445.jpg
    20220402_093445.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 436
  • 20220402_093326.jpg
    20220402_093326.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
I've had my MYP for a month now, the first 550 miles or so with the factory 21" AS4s, the last 400 with 20" Martian MW03s and staggered AS4s. I thought I'd give my take on how they compare thus far.

Factory wheels/tires - handles pretty darn well... on very well prepared roads. You can feel every bump however on even the mildest of imperfect surfaces. On the other hand, it does provide great feedback and looks very aggressive. Handles pretty well in the rain - not amazing, but I'm not worried about driving in it if I need to.

20" MW03 w/ AS44s - went with 8.5"/255 and 9.5"/275 staggered. Cost - $2600 for wheels, $1200 for tires (before tax/shipping).

1) Sidewall is noticeably thicker with "perfect tire bulge" imo. This was one of my biggest gripes about the factory setup, they are wrapped crazy tight. What's the benefit of the new setup?

2) Ride quality. The difference in quality is night and day. I have a wife and two Corgis. The wife loves the new setup far more, no doubt about it. The real test are the Corgis though - dogs don't lie! Before they would sit up and brace themselves in the beds we have in the back seat, now they just take the bumps as they come. It's evident they are way more comfable and less stressed with the 20" and additional bulge.

3) Handling. The car has ever so much more roll, but its really not that big of a deal. On perfect roads you can feel the difference, to include the slightly less responsive feedback that comes from a stiffer ride. HOWEVER, I'd actually give the overall handling edge to the 20s! Why? Because 95% of roads aren't perfect! With the factory setup you can feel it slip/slide as it bounces over even the slightest of rough spots. Every bump causes slighly less contact with the road and jerks the wheel due the tighter wrapped and less forgiving 21s. By comparison, the meatier 20's deform ever so slightly to the small bumps, maintaining 100" contact, offering more grip and less jerky steering.

4) Better range. Both of these are subjective imo. The 20's have resulted in noticably less wh/mile, but it's hard to call the results scientific. By my estimates it should only improve around town range by 2-3%, highway less... insignificant compared to the difference in driving in cold weather vs warm, highway miles vs around town. So yes, I'm sure it's improved range, but "meh" says it all.

5) Acceleration. Yes, it's faster now. I think the new setup is around 17-18lbs lighter per corner. That's unsprung... equivalent to around 68-72lbs of sprung weight, or around 260-280lbs shaved off the body. I did about 25 pulls the day before and of but before install, another 25 or so after. I feel pretty confident in saying it's around 0.1-0.15 faster to 60mph. Not something most people can actually feel, but its an improvement worth talking about imo. It's likely even faster in the 1/4 mile... but I didn't want to test that on public roads.

6) Less chance of rubbing. The tire wall is just barely, oh so barely outside the rim, just enough to where it will contact a curb first.

7) Look. The MW03s look great in person. It's interesting how they look size wise though. The meatier tire makes the setup look more aggressive... at the same time the smaller rim gives the perception of a less full wheel well... that the overall diameter is less despite being the same. Ultimately though, I love it and gives it an aggressive look. The funny part however is that some people seem to think, at first glance, it's factory wheels without the caps lol. It doesn't take long to realize they aren't, but its annoying. Small potatoes though - in the end they look absolutely amazing.

Hope my review was helfpul! I will provide an update once I get and install my UPP mild spirt springs!
They look great! I’m strongly considering going with Martian wheels but likely a squared setup so I can rotate the tires to last a little longer.

Can’t you use the tesla center caps with these wheels? Also, are these the satin black finishes?

Reactions: Stook02ss
They look great! I’m strongly considering going with Martian wheels but likely a squared setup so I can rotate the tires to last a little longer.

Can’t you use the tesla center caps with these wheels? Also, are these the satin black finishes?
Wheels are indeed the satin black - I was torn between them and the gunmetal, but I'm very happy with my final choice. As for the caps - yes, I'm fairly certain you can use the Tesla caps if you so prefer. I have a pair of satin black ones with a subdued Tesla logo... I like it more than the flashy silver, at least on my setup. I do so love the name 'Martian Wheels' though, so I'm conflicted on whether to replace them!

Reactions: Tulipo
Wheels are indeed the satin black - I was torn between them and the gunmetal, but I'm very happy with my final choice. As for the caps - yes, I'm fairly certain you can use the Tesla caps if you so prefer. I have a pair of satin black ones with a subdued Tesla logo... I like it more than the flashy silver, at least on my setup. I do so love the name 'Martian Wheels' though, so I'm conflicted on whether to replace them!
Yeah I really love the satin black look but also torn between that and the gunmetal. Keep going back and forth on what look I prefer (MYP is red).

How does the fitment look compared to the uberturbines? I LOVE how agressive the stock wheels look and wonder if the martians would need spacers to achieve a similar look.

Yeah I really love the satin black look but also torn between that and the gunmetal. Keep going back and forth on what look I prefer (MYP is red).

How does the fitment look compared to the uberturbines? I LOVE how agressive the stock wheels look and wonder if the martians would need spacers to achieve a similar look.
Nope, looks even more aggressive imo. I'll take a picture down the side, that shows more accurately the bulge. The actual diameter however is the exact same.

A few things to keep in mind with the width. 1) both wheels are running 275 width tires, so the width is technically the same in terms of whats on the ground. 2) the fact that it is 275 on a 9.5 gives it more bulge (obviously, as already discussed) - that bulge goes slightly beyond the 'primary contact patch' of the tire... as a result, the 9.5" actually looks wider. 3) because the centerline of the 9.5" is, I think**, in nearly same location with respect to centerline, the fact that it has a little bulge actually means that it looks, imo, like it has a wider stance than even the factory 10.5". I'd need to look up the wheel specs for everything to figure it out though, not 100% sure off the top of my head.

To add to the effect, I plan on lowering it 0.5" w/ the UPP mild springs... something that I think will really complete the look.

Last edited:
Nope, looks even more aggressive imo. I'll take a picture down the side, that shows more accurately the bulge. The actual diameter however is the exact same.

A few things to keep in mind with the width. 1) both wheels are running 275 width tires, so the width is technically the same in terms of whats on the ground. 2) the fact that it is 275 on a 9.5 gives it more bulge (obviously, as already discussed) - that bulge goes slightly beyond the 'primary contact patch' of the tire... as a result, the 9.5" actually looks wider. 3) because the centerline of the 9.5" is, I think**, in nearly same location with respect to centerline, the fact that it has a little bulge actually means that it looks, imo, like it has a wider stance than even the factory 10.5". I'd need to look up the wheel specs for everything to figure it out though, not 100% sure off the top of my head.

To add to the effect, I plan on lowering it 0.5" w/ the UPP mild springs... something that I think will really complete the look.
Thanks for the thorough response. Don’t see a lot of talk on the stance with the Martian wheels so this was very helpful. Looking forward to the pics down the side of the car. Really want to see how aggressive it looks in the back especially.

On the stock setup the front looks a little tucked for my tastes and seems like it needs a small spacer to look more flush.

Thanks for the thorough response. Don’t see a lot of talk on the stance with the Martian wheels so this was very helpful. Looking forward to the pics down the side of the car. Really want to see how aggressive it looks in the back especially.

On the stock setup the front looks a little tucked for my tastes and seems like it needs a small spacer to look more flush.

Yup, will take the pic soon. I do think the face is actually a hair closer to centerline, but not tires. After thinking about that, I'm tempted to get 10mm or 15mm spacers myself to make it even more aggressive.... lol. I'll grab a pic regardless though - if nothing else, maybe a before and after 10/15mm spacer look!

Just need to find a set of decent spacers (any recommendations?).

Looks like the wrap is tighter than I recall - makes me wish I went with an even wider tire! The tuck is less than I was expecting, so, a 10mm spacer may be enough, especially after its lowered some. I'll need to do some more thinking on the it.

Well... looks like I have a weekend project.

Attachments

• 20220404_132238.jpg
    20220404_132238.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 20220404_132304.jpg
    20220404_132304.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 323
Thanks for the pics! Yeah maybe 10/15mm spacers would do the trick. Please update this post if you add any spacers!

No clue on brand though. On my VW I think I have some H&R track spacers but I haven’t looked into spacers the MY yet.

Thanks for the pics! Yeah maybe 10/15mm spacers would do the trick. Please update this post if you add any spacers!

No clue on brand though. On my VW I think I have some H&R track spacers but I haven’t looked into spacers the MY yet.
Will do. I emailed the folks at Martian Wheels directly. They've been very responsive in the past. Unfortunately I think they are going to be 'defensive' in their recommendation for what is safe in terms of spacers, it's the likely business move to avoid any kind of liability (though I hope not). We shall see.

Reactions: Tulipo
They look great! I have the same wheels but squared 8.5

Definitely a noticeable improvement in the ride quality, but sadly 0-60 is the same as factory tested with my draggy.

If you happen to get a draggy I would love to know your 0-60!

Attachments

• IMG-1636 (1).jpg
    IMG-1636 (1).jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 373

Definitely a noticeable improvement in the ride quality, but sadly 0-60 is the same as factory tested with my draggy.

Are those gunmetal? Looks good.

Interesting that you record the same 0-60 with those being so much lighter. Any noticeable difference in efficiency/range?

Absolutely. Thinking about taking her to the local drag strip. Question - did you install any spacers? A local Tesla shop is going to be installing my UPP mild springs soon and I'm thinking about installing spacers at the same time. My plan is 15mm for the front, 15mm for the rear... that or 15mm front, 18mm for the rear.... or 18mm for both lol.

I've been to 'will they fit', but it seems like the recommended offset is MUCH greater than what is offered. The factory offset appear to be 40 and 48.... meaning the 35 and 45 aren't enough. 5mm is only about 0.2", yet the wheels are 1" less wide - the difference being that they are 0.8" front and rear more tucked, 1.8" more tucked in the rear if you are running 20x8.5x35 on all four corners.

It makes me think I need another 20mm........ the 0.8", you even more. Thoughts?

Could you provide a picture of the wheel straight on? I am potentially considering this same stagger setup for my MYP.

I know this is an old post but is exactly what I was looking at for my MYP. Which tires did you run and what range impact did you see after switching to the 20” Martian/Continental package? I have a long commute and I’m trying to make sure I’ll be consistently (in most situations) ok without charging along the way. Thanks!