Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/50/19 Pirelli Scorpion AS3+ Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a positive experience with the above setup. We have a '22 MYLR, one of the first out of Austin from June last year. Love the car for what it is, but the ride needs improvement. Spent way too much time researching this, and decided on getting the Pirelli Scorpion AS3+ SUV tire in a taller profile for 19s (255/50/19). I am BLOWN away at the difference. The ride quality is significantly improved - softer, more compliant, quieter, just glides over bumps now. I was worried about this tire being too soft, but, I feel it works very well with the stock LR suspension. We also appreciate the 0.5" lift, it too is very noticeable. Feels great around the city. And, the size helps fill out the LR wheel wells better too.

Downside - weight. Went with the Tsport Line TSV. They look amazing, but this combo weights just less than stock MYP wheels and tires. The car feels slower for sure. But boost will solve this. Range is fine, I am sure there is some loss, but they will break in and be fine for our needs.

I hope this helps some decide on a tire setup to help sort out the ride in their MY.

Shout out to GTE in Atlanta, best tire shop in the city.

Cheers

IMG_7452.JPG

I'm surprised that you say tires are smoother than the OEM ContiProContacts, since the Pirelli website specifically states :
  • Increased tire stiffness due to fewer and longer shoulder blocks that also improve handling.

What are the road surfaces like where you're driving? How many miles on the tires?

Where did you purchase them? Discount Tire stocks them, but since they're not an "OEM" size, I'm wondering if they will sell them to me?

Sorry. Lots of questions. Thanks for posting your initial experience.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a positive experience with the above setup. We have a '22 MYLR, one of the first out of Austin from June last year. Love the car for what it is, but the ride needs improvement. Spent way too much time researching this, and decided on getting the Pirelli Scorpion AS3+ SUV tire in a taller profile for 19s (255/50/19). I am BLOWN away at the difference. The ride quality is significantly improved - softer, more compliant, quieter, just glides over bumps now. I was worried about this tire being too soft, but, I feel it works very well with the stock LR suspension. We also appreciate the 0.5" lift, it too is very noticeable. Feels great around the city. And, the size helps fill out the LR wheel wells better too.

Downside - weight. Went with the Tsport Line TSV. They look amazing, but this combo weights just less than stock MYP wheels and tires. The car feels slower for sure. But boost will solve this. Range is fine, I am sure there is some loss, but they will break in and be fine for our needs.

I hope this helps some decide on a tire setup to help sort out the ride in their MY.

Shout out to GTE in Atlanta, best tire shop in the city.

Cheers

View attachment 964988
Hi, thanks for posting this. I’ve been agonising for weeks about changing my MY tyres to 255/50 also. Did you go for front and rear? And if front, have you not found any problems with the tyre being closer to the suspension knuckle? Many thanks

TireRack still doesn't list the size the OP has mounted on his MYLR. Discount Tire website says they have them, $269, MUCH LESS than Michelin PilotSport A/S4.

SunnyD: How many miles did you put on the OEM ContiProContacts? How many miles on the new Pirellis? It would be good to know, for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Had 10k miles on the stock tires. For anyone who has had a bmw with run-flats and go to a standard tire will understand this difference. Put around 500 miles on the new tires in a week (did a road trip over the weekend). They only got better with more miles. W/Mile is improving.

Have no idea why they say the tire is stiff, it is not. You looking at the right model?

No issues with the 50 profile and the front suspension knuckle. That is well documented on this forum. But you cannot go any taller.

100% did all four, I would never run a different height tire front and rear, that does not sound like a smart idea to me.

Bought and had them installed at a local shop to me. I like supporting good local business. Proper real deal shop, they work on my M3 (gas one lol)

Hope this helps.

I've been cross-shopping;
Scorpion AS Plus 3, 255/50 X 19 vs.
P7 AS 3 Plus, 255/45 X 19.

(I put the P7 AS Plus 3 [235/45 X 19"] on my wife's Toyota Avalon Hybrid, after 37k miles on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires, and the difference in comfort is staggering. I know, the the P7 AS Plus 3 is a Grand Touring tire, and the Michelin Pilot Sport is an Ultra High Performance tire, so the P7 would have a softer ride.)

Sunny D: I'm glad to see your review. The Scorpion 255/50 X 19s have a double rebate at TireRack, all 4 for $852.44, vs. $1072.52 for the P7 255/45 X 19s. I now have justification for buying the Scorpion tires! Thank you for your evaluation.

I've been cross-shopping;
Scorpion AS Plus 3, 255/50 X 19 vs.
P7 AS 3 Plus, 255/45 X 19.

(I put the P7 AS Plus 3 [235/45 X 19"] on my wife's Toyota Avalon Hybrid, after 37k miles on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires, and the difference in comfort is staggering. I know, the the P7 AS Plus 3 is a Grand Touring tire, and the Michelin Pilot Sport is an Ultra High Performance tire, so the P7 would have a softer ride.)

Sunny D: I'm glad to see your review. The Scorpion 255/50 X 19s have a double rebate at TireRack, all 4 for $852.44, vs. $1072.52 for the P7 255/45 X 19s. I now have justification for buying the Scorpion tires! Thank you for your evaluation.
Wow, great deal! Let us know how you like them. The only real negative I can report is just the loss in acceleration. Otherwise I love them.

Well, I waited too long, the deal is now $70 rebate on 4 tires, not $140. Measured my current Pilot Sport 4s, they're wearing evenly, now at 6-7/32" all around. They'll probably last another 1.5 years.