Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

>$200 to pair a fob??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used 2021 Model S directly from Tesla. They only gave me one key fob. I happen to still have a fob from my recently totaled (sad story, that) 2015 Model S. I went by the local service center in Berkeley today, asking if they could pair it for me. "Sorry, we're much too busy. File a service request on the app." OK, I did that. The estimate, for a mobile call - $219.44 ($201.50 plus tax). Is that really right? And is there CA tax on service? I don't need another fob, just want them to pair it because, unlike a 3 or Y, my S won't let me do that myself.

I just bought a used 2021 Model S directly from Tesla. They only gave me one key fob. I happen to still have a fob from my recently totaled (sad story, that) 2015 Model S. I went by the local service center in Berkeley today, asking if they could pair it for me. "Sorry, we're much too busy. File a service request on the app." OK, I did that. The estimate, for a mobile call - $219.44 ($201.50 plus tax). Is that really right? And is there CA tax on service? I don't need another fob, just want them to pair it because, unlike a 3 or Y, my S won't let me do that myself.

Did the car have 3 or 4 wheels on it?

I'm guessing it did.

Should have come with two fobs as well. Paired.

Upvote 0
If your 2021 is a Refresh or Plaid model, the key fobs from a 2015 car will not work as they are now Bluetooth.

The 2021/22/23 Refresh and Plaid can add key fobs in the same way as the 3 & Y, as they also have key cards:

If your 2021 is not a Refresh or Plaid, I believe you have to have them programmed by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0