Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOB Update sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Teslans,

I live in the South Jersey area. I am the second owner of a 2013 Tesla Model S. I was given two key fobs at the time of transfer in July 2021 but recently lost one of the keys. I would feel more secure having one or more duplicates made. Would therefore like to know if there are any third party service providers in the South Jersey area that can provide this service? If so, would appreciate knowing their contact information. Time is somewhat of the essence in this regard since I don't want to lose or misplace my ONLY remaining key before I acquire a duplicate!

The fact of the matter is that I am three months shy of my 75th birthday and as the months go by I find myself misplacing keys or my phone or my watch on a more frequent basis. There are numerous methods and devices I can employ to locate my phone and watch and I can easily replace them with competitor models if I so choose. At present I'm not aware of any method or app that would allow me the same sort of option for locating a lost or misplaced TESLA key fob. If you are aware of any, would appreciate hearing from you on this issue also. I always attached my necessary keys to a key ring on my cell phone wallet so everything would be in the same place. There was no secure way to attach my TESLA key fob to a key ring. I tried using the "dangle chain" provided by TESLA but it was short-lived on the key ring. There was no other "secure" way to hook it to the key ring. I purchased a cover for the key but there was no assurance it wouldn't slide off the fob.

I look forward to hearing from you in this regard.

Thank you.

Hot Fudge #1

There are many places you can get a key. If you get the key from Tesla or somewhere else, all keys must be programmed together by Tesla. I attach my Tesla key through its mini loop using a key chain like this:
20231115_130636.jpg

Dear Teslans,

I live in the South Jersey area. I am the second owner of a 2013 Tesla Model S. I was given two key fobs at the time of transfer in July 2021 but recently lost one of the keys. I would feel more secure having one or more duplicates made. Would therefore like to know if there are any third party service providers in the South Jersey area that can provide this service? If so, would appreciate knowing their contact information. Time is somewhat of the essence in this regard since I don't want to lose or misplace my ONLY remaining key before I acquire a duplicate!

The fact of the matter is that I am three months shy of my 75th birthday and as the months go by I find myself misplacing keys or my phone or my watch on a more frequent basis. There are numerous methods and devices I can employ to locate my phone and watch and I can easily replace them with competitor models if I so choose. At present I'm not aware of any method or app that would allow me the same sort of option for locating a lost or misplaced TESLA key fob. If you are aware of any, would appreciate hearing from you on this issue also. I always attached my necessary keys to a key ring on my cell phone wallet so everything would be in the same place. There was no secure way to attach my TESLA key fob to a key ring. I tried using the "dangle chain" provided by TESLA but it was short-lived on the key ring. There was no other "secure" way to hook it to the key ring. I purchased a cover for the key but there was no assurance it wouldn't slide off the fob.

I look forward to hearing from you in this regard.

Thank you.

Hot Fudge #1

Try one of these silicon key fobs with normal ring attached. They are the best and won’t come off.

Then perhaps attach an Apple AirTag so can can track and find them with your phone if necessary. This assumes you have an iPhone. You can even make the AirTags beep. If you don’t have iPhone, then you can try Tile or Cube for similar result.

Tesla will sell you another fob and program it to the car. Note you need to bring your existing fob to have both added together.

Price was around $210.

I “lost” a fob in the wash. Worked after the first wash, but did it again a year do later and that second time killed it.

Try one of these silicon key fobs with normal ring attached. They are the best and won’t come off.

Then perhaps attach an Apple AirTag so can can track and find them with your phone if necessary. This assumes you have an iPhone. You can even make the AirTags beep. If you don’t have iPhone, then you can try Tile or Cube for similar result.

Tu 4 your reply!