Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S come with key fobs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I JUST finished ordering the Model S. Does it come with any key fobs? After the order, I was presented with the choice to add some accessories and the key fob was there. Don't I automatically get a couple of fobs?

Also, I looked at the sunshade for the glass roof and the picture didn't look like it covered the entire glass area. I THINK the older Model S glass was split into driver and passenger sections and I don't remember there being a separation in the new one. Was this sunshade for the old one or is the picture just for the old one because it didn't appear to be long enough. Or did I just not take a close enough look at the roof behind me when I was test driving?

Hasn't come with key fobs since mid 2022 IIRC. I'm using my old model 3 key fob with mine (works fine). With the UWB update that most of us should have soon, I'm guessing my annoyances with the phone key will mostly be a thing of the past
What is the UWB update?

Would that be applicable to a 2016 Model S. I don't care for the key fob anymore. I'd rather the car open as soon as my phone gets in close proximity to the car

Upvote 1
I JUST finished ordering the Model S. Does it come with any key fobs? After the order, I was presented with the choice to add some accessories and the key fob was there. Don't I automatically get a couple of fobs?

Also, I looked at the sunshade for the glass roof and the picture didn't look like it covered the entire glass area. I THINK the older Model S glass was split into driver and passenger sections and I don't remember there being a separation in the new one. Was this sunshade for the old one or is the picture just for the old one because it didn't appear to be long enough. Or did I just not take a close enough look at the roof behind me when I was test driving?
They used to come with 2 key fobs but now zero. You can order it ahead of the car so it will be with you at pickup. I still like having a key fob as it's easier to open the trunk without going to phone.

Upvote 0
My wife can't keep her phone charged. I'll be buying 2 fobs. If you do the same, save yourself $80+ and buy it from other than Tesla. Part number 1618096-91-G
When the ice cream is melting in the shopping cart she’ll start remembering to charge her phone. The car comes with two credit card sized cards that will open the doors and l let you drive away if there is an issue with the phone.

IMG_1887.jpeg

The door from the garage to my house unlocks automatically when my phone is in proximity. I no longer carry a fob, keys or anything else. Only a wallet.

Upvote 0
When the ice cream is melting in the shopping cart she’ll start remembering to charge her phone. The car comes with two credit card sized cards that will open the doors and l let you drive away if there is an issue with the phone.

View attachment 1018958

The door from the garage to my house unlocks automatically when my phone is in proximity. I no longer carry a fob, keys or anything else. Only a wallet.

Same for ours but the lock has a backup keypad she uses frequently when her phone is dead. She forgets her purse frequently too. She also forgets the key but can't leave without it and it won't die if she doesn't charge it.

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert
Upvote 0

View attachment 1018958

For my F150 Lightning, I only carry the phone now. Same with our Rivian. I was frustrated when I took delivery of my Lighting and the PaaK was not enabled immediately. After having Tesla's with no fob, I soon was spoiled with the walk up unlock, walk away lock. My F150 still does not lock on walk away. I leave it unlocked often.

Upvote 0