Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Door takes long to open after parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changed door handle, now inside handle takes 5-10 seconds to open door after parking. Seems like I have to wait for exterior handle to extend before inside handle works. Techs checked and recalibrated, but still an issue. Feels like an override latch might be missed. Frustrating!

I thought the interior front door handle on the S was mechanical and did not rely on anything electronic to open the door. I don't know why there would be a delay. My only knowledge of the door opening is I know in an accident when the power is disconnected the rear doors will not open without pulling the hidden emergency release cable under the seat. The front door interior releases are still supposed to work "normally" without power. The really knowledgeable people on this forum will solve this, I am sure.

I thought the interior front door handle on the S was mechanical and did not rely on anything electronic to open the door. I don't know why there would be a delay. My only knowledge of the door opening is I know in an accident when the power is disconnected the rear doors will not open without pulling the hidden emergency release cable under the seat. The front door interior releases are still supposed to work "normally" without power. The really knowledgeable people on this forum will solve this, I am sure.
For the front doors it's actually both (electrical and mechanical with same lever) so first few mm's on the interior door handle is electrical and pulling it all the way is mechanical.

Not sure about the delay but maybe the delay is somehow in the electrical part and they forgot to connect the mechanical cable to the interior door handle

Reactions: DerbyDave
I want to say that the mechanical link was missed when the door handle was replaced ... but Tesla swears they checked it and "recalibrated" but i keep telling them that recalibration doesn't make sense since its a mechanical link to open the latch. SMH.

Its just a pain to take the door apart.

Reactions: DerbyDave