Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S metallic clink sound heard from back (with video) when changing from accel to decel, starting out, etc..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been nice out so I've been driving with my windows down and I can hear a metallic clink from the back of the car when I accelerate hard, or decelerate hard, or at the transitions between. I think it's getting worse, but maybe I'm just hyper aware.

If I start off really easy from a light, I don't necessarily hear it. If I brake hard sometimes I'll hear it during the transition. If i accelerate hard I always hear it.

I pulled it on ramps and yanked off the clover over the DU, and everything looks good under there...I used a bar to wiggle stuff and it all seemed tight.

I know nothing about the actual brakes on the car, as far as how they work...haha.

When I started up the ramps, it was a resounding clank.

From the driver window, on the road, it sounds very metallic, like you're clinking two pieces of metal together. From the video, it sounds more clanky. I ziptied my phone to a cross member.

Was wondering what people thought...a worry? The culprit? Thanks!

So some digging found similiar issues with the axle nut and lube. I took the wheel and nut off, and then stuffed some grease in the (very dry and dusty orange) joint and retorqued the nut.

On a short test drive seemed better...will have to test on a longer drive.