Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S 85 CPO No Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

New to the Tesla world, looking to buy a used CPO.

I recently put a deposit on a 2014 Model S 85 with Vin# ending P35750. In the description it says Autopilot with Convenience features. But when i check for the parts related to AP1 i dont see the radar in the front nose cone.
Car looks clean from the pics(which i am not sure unless i check in person :))

Please advise, planning to take delivery next week. So wanted to know if its worth it to pay $40k(with 44k miles.) for this car if it doesn't have AP1. Advisory says it has Autopilot. I dont see many cars with Ap1 in this price range.

Below is what is in the car info, pretty confusing.
  • Tech Package
  • No Driver's Assistance
  • Autopilot with convenience features
Build features as per the info provided.
  • Rear Wheel Drive
  • Model S Long Range
  • Grey Metallic Paint
  • All Glass Panoramic Roof
  • 19" Wheels
  • Grey Leather Seats
  • Piano Black Décor
  • Standard Headliner
  • No Battery Performance
  • No Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Black Brake Calipers
  • Pay Per Use Supercharging
  • Tech Package
  • No Driver's Assistance
  • Autopilot with convenience features
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • No Audio Package
  • No Cold Weather Package
  • No Third Row Seat

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-13_7-58-38.png
    upload_2019-12-13_7-58-38.png
    279 KB · Views: 144
First....no such thing as CPO from Tesla. They are used and thats it.

Second.....tesla is known for putting misleading info on there site whether it's on purpose or not is up for debate.

Third.... your advisor may also have the wrong info and/or just wants to make a sale.

Fourth....the radar is tough to spot as it sits below the nose cone and is black so it blends in.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and AMPd
First....no such thing as CPO from Tesla. They are used and thats it.

Second.....tesla is known for putting misleading info on there site whether it's on purpose or not is up for debate.

Third.... your advisor may also have the wrong info and/or just wants to make a sale.

Fourth....the radar is tough to spot as it sits below the nose cone and is black so it blends in.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its used , still getting used to it :)

Tesla site and advisors are misleading for sure.

When i checked picture of similar cars i was able to spot the Radar(rectangular small peice). Hopefully it has when i go there.
Picture attached for reference.

Attachments

• 29a07e65908a40da8badab5816384cec(2).jpg
    29a07e65908a40da8badab5816384cec(2).jpg
    3 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: croman
Price is too high if it had AP which it doesn't, VIN is too old. My 42,XXX VIN doesn't.

Thanks for the reply.

- The actual car price is $37,300. With taxes and fees its $40500. I could't find any car on EV-CPO or Onlyused tesla or locally for a similar car in that range with AP1. So i thought it is a decent price if it has Autopilot.

- I am from Phoenix, AZ and not many cars around for sale. 3rd party dealers are charging high and no warranty and no idea how to check those cars.

- $37300 Listed price, $40500 with fees and taxes.

- Yes it was listed on Tesla site. In my region(Phoenix, AZ) this was the only car listed. If i go far they have a $2k delivery fee which add up and goes in higher price.
Did you ask for high resolution pics? I would. If you paid for something that it was advertised to have you may have some recourse but this wouldnt be the first time tesla sold a car and it actually didn't have the feature listed.

All these supposedly have ap1.

View attachment 487872

I have been lurking this website, Tesla site and Onlyusedtesla. Everything is more than $5k than this car and far, I saw this pop up on Tesla site in my city and put a deposit so i can do my Due Diligence before it gets snapped.

Based on my research online on the websites, this car even without AP1 at that miles and warranty seems like a decent deal. Hopefully it has AP1. If there is no AP1, does the car have any other features like Summon, lane change or others than TACC?

First, a quick point of clarification: Tesla does NOT sell CPO cars anymore. They sell used cars that have a Tesla extended warranty period of either 2-years/up to 100k on do or 4-years/50k miles. They do NOT refurbish them or guarantee their cosmetic condition in any way any longer. This is important because if you're relatively new and have been doing your research you may have found conversations from less than a year ago and older when Tesla DID have a CPO program. It's also important due to their used car sales process which often times can put people on the hook for cars across the country which they can't see. Often times they don't even get the chance to inspect until AFTER paperwork is 100% processed (unless you demand to) which is a super shady way to conduct used car business.

Now that we've cleared that up....

If the car has AP with "convenience features" this means that it not only has the AP hardware (version 1 in this case) but it also has the software enabled. Important distinction because some will advertise that they have AP but without that added "with convenience features" on the end it just means the hardware is there and you'll have to pay thousands to enable it via software gates. Most used cars that Tesla sells these days that I've seen have it enabled even if the previous owner didn't pay for it but make sure you pay attention to that just in case.

Pre-AP cars had an option for park sensors or not but front radar/sensors are a requirement of cars that are capable of the AP hardware suite so you have no worries there.

First, a quick point of clarification: Tesla does NOT sell CPO cars anymore. They sell used cars that have a Tesla extended warranty period of either 2-years/up to 100k on do or 4-years/50k miles. They do NOT refurbish them or guarantee their cosmetic condition in any way any longer. This is important because if you're relatively new and have been doing your research you may have found conversations from less than a year ago and older when Tesla DID have a CPO program. It's also important due to their used car sales process which often times can put people on the hook for cars across the country which they can't see. Often times they don't even get the chance to inspect until AFTER paperwork is 100% processed (unless you demand to) which is a super shady way to conduct used car business.

Now that we've cleared that up....

If the car has AP with "convenience features" this means that it not only has the AP hardware (version 1 in this case) but it also has the software enabled. Important distinction because some will advertise that they have AP but without that added "with convenience features" on the end it just means the hardware is there and you'll have to pay thousands to enable it via software gates. Most used cars that Tesla sells these days that I've seen have it enabled even if the previous owner didn't pay for it but make sure you pay attention to that just in case.

Pre-AP cars had an option for park sensors or not but front radar/sensors are a requirement of cars that are capable of the AP hardware suite so you have no worries there.

Thanks for the Info, yes they are called used now.

- It is listed as AP with "convenience features" but i dont see that Radar thing on the front bumper and Camera on the front windsheild which is not clear in the pics.
- Thanks for the tip, i will insist on checking the vehicle prior to paperwork. That way i can backout.

I have a 2014 P85 I would love to upgrade from.
Two years ago I paid $50k.
Since then range has spiked, new price tumbled. A current 100D is AWD, has AP more base equipment half again the range and is only $80k.

Be aware too 85 and below batteries have been hit with range reduction and severely slowed supercharging in the last year.

I have a 2014 P85 I would love to upgrade from.
Two years ago I paid $50k.
Since then range has spiked, new price tumbled. A current 100D is AWD, has AP more base equipment half again the range and is only $80k.

Be aware too 85 and below batteries have been hit with range reduction and severely slowed supercharging in the last year.
Not all batteries below the 85 are effected......

I bought a used through Tesla. It was a P85D advertised with Ludacris. The build sheet on my account still says it...but it does not have Ludacris. I did not know enough at the time but the little underline was missing from the P85D.b I wish I knew that then.

I was given "oh, sorry...that was a misprint" from my SA.

The car was otherwise pristine so I ended up still buying it. At the time, the price was good even for a non Ludacris car.

The SA's I dealt with would say any BS they could to just make me go away, truth or not. Horrible buying experience.

That being said, I like my car so much I would do it again.

• Disagree
Reactions: cleverscreenam