Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla family I have a question? I own a 2014 S model with 45000 miles on it last Friday it would not start I had it towed to Tesla and now they have informed me that the rear drive unit has gone bad and it will be 6K to fix is this a common thing I drive very rarely with the vehicle and have taken excellent care of the car. Has this happened to anyone else and will this be a snowball effect. Thank you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Red Ryder 3
Sorry this has happened to you. My drive unit also when out on our 11/13 built S85 but at 6yrs/90K miles. My first suspicions came when I had a low coolant warning on the instrument cluster at 60K miles, Tesla Service checked/corrected/air purged/thermal system checked the car and I didn't think too much of it. Months later I started hearing a "whirring" noise from the drive unit between 20-40mph. Months after that I had a "Car may not restart: service required" warning that would intermittently pop on an disappear within minutes. Finally one day, the warning came up following by a "Systems Performance Check," followed by a "Acceleration and top speed reduced" and "Regenerative braking system disabled."

I drove it to my local Service Center and they confirmed that the drive unit went bad and that the HV contactors were showing low impedance so they replaced both the drive unit and the contactors with updated parts. Our drive units apparently have a flaw in the seal near the speed sensor which allows for coolant to enter the chamber with the inverter when the seal fails. $6K is about the going rate for a replacement, though some shops will refurbish a drive unit for less if there's no coolant ingress. Feel free to search around the forum, it's not an uncommon experience for a lot of us 2012-2014 RWD owners.

Another Datapoint, proving that early builds (2012 to 2015) do a lot better when they are driven hard with a lot of miles. Issues from the early days of Tesla were made a parent and fixed under warranty.