Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 85kWh -- Air Suspension, Dual Chargers, Pano Roof, Xpel+Opticoat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright Tesla friends... this is my final offer!

$73k and I'll contribute $1k towards shipping. Or, $72k and you take care of shipping. If it does not sell at this price, I'll just choose to keep it.

I have someone sincerely interested at this price/deal, and my fingers are crossed that the deal goes through. In the meantime, I figured I'd give everyone else the same deal.

Car is currently in the process of being shipped to its buyer in LA.

For those of you with Teslas posted that you are trying to sell... let me just share my experience behind 3 months of selling this car.

0. Ignore all of the people trying to "help you" sell your car where you pay them.
1. Autotrader was the least helpful for me. Got little to no hits from it.
2. eBay gave me lots of "watchers" but very few people who would actually follow up.
3. Craigslist was the most helpful, lots of people who would follow up.

That said. POST YOUR CAR IN THE LOS ANGELES CRAIGSLIST. Seriously. I don't know if they have a shortage of Teslas there, but in your ad just say that your car is out of state and lots of people will still show interest. Once I posted it in the LA Craigslist, I went from maybe 1 person interested a week to 5-6 people interested a week. I also posted it in the Bay Area Craigslist, but very little came out of it. I think there is no shortage of the cars in the Bay. It's all about LA.

Hope this helps someone.

Yep! I originally purchased the car in SF Bay Area and then moved to Boston with the car. The popularity of the cars is just significantly greater in California

If you are looking to sell, I strongly suggest posting on the LA craigslist.

To ship from SF to Boston, I used Intercity Lines. They are very very good but may be backed up. To ship to LA we are using Patriot. The driver also seemed very good. Both cost approximately $2000 total. So I offered $1000 to help ship the car (as stated in my posting).

Finally, I suggest paysafeescrow.com if you need an escrow. It was on the lower end when it came to cost, and it was suggested by dmv.org

With our low Canadian dollar, if I got $70k US for mine, that's over $90k Can. Then it wouldn't take much more to get a new one, or CPO, with autopilot. Hmmm... I wonder if we can sell Canadian Model S cars in the US? We can buy US Roadsters, but not Model S. I don't the rules the other way though.

I didn't ask Tesla for a quote after several people told me that their quotes were "lowball." So I just avoided it!

Canuck: I'm not sure of the import laws around cars in the US and Canada :\

BTW- biggest piece of advice: be patient and ignore requests for the car below what you're willing to sell it for within reason of CPO prices. There's no need to go below CPO prices IMO. From what I've seen, CPOs are frequently scratched, damaged, curbed, etc. Can people get a "steal" on a CPO car? Sure, but don't base your price on it. If someone tells you there is a CPO car in their area that is priced lower than yours, ask them about mileage, condition, options, etc.

Use the CPO consolidator to ballpark a reasonable price for your car: http://ev-cpo.com/

Ultimately, my car sold for roughly the average price of similarly listed CPOs in its VIN range and mileage, at a slightly higher cost ($2-3k) that I argued due to the Xpel, Opticoat, and condition.

Ultimately, ignore all of the TMC users who will constantly tell you your car is worth $10-15k lower than CPO prices and what you're trying to sell it for and all of the stories about people snagging P85s at lower costs.

I didn't ask Tesla for a quote after several people told me that their quotes were "lowball." So I just avoided it!

Canuck: I'm not sure of the import laws around cars in the US and Canada :\

BTW- biggest piece of advice: be patient and ignore requests for the car below what you're willing to sell it for within reason of CPO prices. There's no need to go below CPO prices IMO. From what I've seen, CPOs are frequently scratched, damaged, curbed, etc. Can people get a "steal" on a CPO car? Sure, but don't base your price on it. If someone tells you there is a CPO car in their area that is priced lower than yours, ask them about mileage, condition, options, etc.

Use the CPO consolidator to ballpark a reasonable price for your car: http://ev-cpo.com/

Ultimately, my car sold for roughly the average price of similarly listed CPOs in its VIN range and mileage, at a slightly higher cost ($2-3k) that I argued due to the Xpel, Opticoat, and condition.

Ultimately, ignore all of the TMC users who will constantly tell you your car is worth $10-15k lower than CPO prices and what you're trying to sell it for and all of the stories about people snagging P85s at lower costs.

gynchis,

Congrats on the successful sale! Happy to see a good outcome here.

Congrats as well to the buyer. I think this was an exceptionally well cared for Model S and I'm sure it will continue to bring Tesla grins for many years to come.