Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D from a dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a late 2015 85D I am currently looking at for $49k at a dealer. 38k miles. The car looks great, but when I test drove it, I noticed a rattle in the front right that I couldn’t pinpoint. The car does not have air suspension so I am not sure what that could be. It seems like it could even be the headliner/dash vibrating, but not sure.

Is that a common issue? The car is under warranty until November so I could ask Tesla to fix it, but I am scared it’s something that will put it in the shop for days. Any advice/experiences?

I have a 2015 85D as well, love the car - but I have never had any rattle issues (knock on wood!), and I also have the standard suspension. Not sure if others have experienced this, but hopefully the service center could address it if you do purchase.

Just as an aside, you might check out ev-cpo.com to take a look at used models directly from Tesla, if you haven't already.
The big advantage is you get an extended warranty from Tesla (which you cannot do buying from a dealer).
Big downside is you can't test drive or get a great feel from the condition of the vehicle before you purchase - they do send you photos but they are sometimes lacking great detail.

At least you could use the site as a reference for pricing/options out there when looking elsewhere.
Good luck!

I have a 2015 85D as well, love the car - but I have never had any rattle issues (knock on wood!), and I also have the standard suspension. Not sure if others have experienced this, but hopefully the service center could address it if you do purchase.

Just as an aside, you might check out ev-cpo.com to take a look at used models directly from Tesla, if you haven't already.
The big advantage is you get an extended warranty from Tesla (which you cannot do buying from a dealer).
Big downside is you can't test drive or get a great feel from the condition of the vehicle before you purchase - they do send you photos but they are sometimes lacking great detail.

At least you could use the site as a reference for pricing/options out there when looking elsewhere.
Good luck!

Thanks, I’ve been following EV cpo for weeks now, but the inventory is pretty terrible currently in my opinion. This car is a lease return and I have no idea why Tesla didn’t keep it and sell it as CPO (red flag?) The dealer I went to is an exclusively EV dealer and they know a lot about these cars so that makes me feel better.

I guess I could take it to the SC since it’s close by and get it inspected for any issues.

I bought it. It’s under warranty until November so hopefully I get everything fixed that needs to be fixed. I scheduled an annual service for next week and will go from there.

And I found the rattle, it’s the headliner, it vibrates on the passenger side for some reason so will ask Tesla to take a look.

Reactions: rplace1021