Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D 237k miles, warranty about to expire. Advice on service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 85D has 237k miles and the battery and drive unit warranties are up next month. I scheduled a service appointment and they recommended "2nd annual service", which is $1043.49. I also need yet another (#4, maybe?) door handle replaced for $299.60 and $194 for evaluation of a whining noise which while not loud, is getting louder.

Are there any specific things I should be asking them to look at regarding the battery and motors? I'm seeing in other threads that even if they think the motor is about to fail it is still not covered until it does, so perhaps I should save the evaluation fee? I also recently had an issue while supercharging where the car stopped charging at 50% and actually changed the slider to 50% and presented me with a message saying something like "unable to DC fast charge." I should have taken a photo of the message. When I mentioned that and gave the exact date and time while scheduling the service and asked to have the logs pulled, I was told "We tried to upload vehicle logs for the timestamps that you mentioned but the vehicle is not providing any data.

Any advice on what to ask them to test on the battery?

Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation as the OP - 2015 85D with the battery and drive unit warranty that expires in December 2023. It's been a great car so far but I'm debating if I want to keep it without the warranty. From everything I've read, it's very difficult to determine if a battery pack or drive unit is going bad. The only things that stand out to me right now that kind of concern me are:
  • Max range is ~220 miles at 100% charge (this was 6+ months ago so I probably need to check again). When I first purchased the car (used) in 2018, it was 265 miles, so it's taken a pretty big hit. I charge every night at home to 70%, very rarely supercharge.
  • Ever since I've had the car, I've noticed a high pitch whining noise if going about ~77 mph. As of about 6-12 months ago, I also noticed a high pitch screeching sound at very slow speeds while accelerating. Doesn't happen all the time and it's not that loud, so easy to miss with music on.
  • In the past 12 months or so, after the car has been sitting overnight, there's been about 2-3 occasions where only the driver instrument cluster comes on and the center screen remains blank, even after driving for 10+ mins. It's not until I force a reboot of the center screen it comes back. I also notice the scheduled charging didn't occur. I have had the eMMC repair done (still MCU1).
I have monitored my battery pack over the years using TM-Spy, and nothing seems to stand out (no major voltage difference between the cells). Unfortunately it looks like the last time I was in service getting the battery heater replaced, Tesla service removed my OBDII adapter and LELink device (didn't notice until recently). The significant decrease in range is my only concern, as it seems like other 85Ds (even 70s) have more range than my pack even with significantly more miles.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP - 2015 85D with the battery and drive unit warranty that expires in December 2023. It's been a great car so far but I'm debating if I want to keep it without the warranty. From everything I've read, it's very difficult to determine if a battery pack or drive unit is going bad. The only things that stand out to me right now that kind of concern me are:
  • Max range is ~220 miles at 100% charge (this was 6+ months ago so I probably need to check again). When I first purchased the car (used) in 2018, it was 265 miles, so it's taken a pretty big hit. I charge every night at home to 70%, very rarely supercharge.
  • Ever since I've had the car, I've noticed a high pitch whining noise if going about ~77 mph. As of about 6-12 months ago, I also noticed a high pitch screeching sound at very slow speeds while accelerating. Doesn't happen all the time and it's not that loud, so easy to miss with music on.
  • In the past 12 months or so, after the car has been sitting overnight, there's been about 2-3 occasions where only the driver instrument cluster comes on and the center screen remains blank, even after driving for 10+ mins. It's not until I force a reboot of the center screen it comes back. I also notice the scheduled charging didn't occur. I have had the eMMC repair done (still MCU1).
I have monitored my battery pack over the years using TM-Spy, and nothing seems to stand out (no major voltage difference between the cells). Unfortunately it looks like the last time I was in service getting the battery heater replaced, Tesla service removed my OBDII adapter and LELink device (didn't notice until recently). The significant decrease in range is my only concern, as it seems like other 85Ds (even 70s) have more range than my pack even with significantly more miles.

According to many if you want to stress the battery to find out if it has issues, take it on a road trip where you supercharge at least four times in a day. That will for sure do the battery in if it's at the edge. Obviously, I would do that before the warranty expires!

Also curious about this. @stevej119 what was the result of your appointment?
I was advised by the SC that even if they found a noise in my motor that sounded like it was going to fail, they wouldn’t replace anything anyway until it did fail. So I saved the $200 and skipped that diagnosis. I just boarded a plane, so I’ll bring up my service invoice later and give more details.

Mine just went out of warranty today. I have a new S on order and am transferring the FUSC. Keeping the 85 D because…. What could I get for it? It has more value to me to carry my muddy mountain bike to and from the trailhead, carry gardening supplies, maybe tow a reel mower to clear weeds from our property. Basically, I’m getting a new S instead of a Cybertruck. The FUSC offer made it a no-brainer for me.

My range at 100% is 239 miles. 240,000 miles and 8 years ago it was 270 miles. Still runs like a dream.

If you keep your charge in a narrow range and charge to 100% that infrequently it’s certainly possible your BMS range calculation has drifted quite a bit.

Mine just went out of warranty today. I have a new S on order and am transferring the FUSC. Keeping the 85 D because…. What could I get for it? It has more value to me to carry my muddy mountain bike to and from the trailhead, carry gardening supplies, maybe tow a reel mower to clear weeds from our property. Basically, I’m getting a new S instead of a Cybertruck. The FUSC offer made it a no-brainer for me.

My range at 100% is 239 miles. 240,000 miles and 8 years ago it was 270 miles. Still runs like a dream.

The 'Full Unlimited Super Charging' you have is likely transferable -- the next owner of the car gets it too? If you transfer *that* to your new S or whatever -- I'll bet the FUSC for that car stops when the car transfers ownership?

I'm in a similar boat -- I've got a 90d with FUSC; I'm looking an X or Y but golly, I like having stalks to shift gears and indicate signals and a horn button to smash when someone needs to decide if they're going ot cut me off or not...

I don't think I use the FUSC to make it valuable to me, but if it's $1000 added to the resale value, that's probably more than I'll spend at superchargers in the nest 5 years.... but of course if someone gives the car a little bump that'll "total" the car... sigh.

The 'Full Unlimited Super Charging' you have is likely transferable -- the next owner of the car gets it too? If you transfer *that* to your new S or whatever -- I'll bet the FUSC for that car stops when the car transfers ownership?

I'm in a similar boat -- I've got a 90d with FUSC; I'm looking an X or Y but golly, I like having stalks to shift gears and indicate signals and a horn button to smash when someone needs to decide if they're going ot cut me off or not...

I don't think I use the FUSC to make it valuable to me, but if it's $1000 added to the resale value, that's probably more than I'll spend at superchargers in the nest 5 years.... but of course if someone gives the car a little bump that'll "total" the car... sigh.
There will be 3rd party options for stalks.

The transfer of FUSC to my new car will indeed not then be transferable if I sell it. To me it has a lot of value as I’ve probably driven over 100,000 Suercharged miles on my current car.

Just need to make sure my current car doesn’t get totaled before the new car is delivered.

That is really great - 30 mile range lost over 8 years? Incredible...

Was it pretty reliable for you over the years, or was it starting to nickel and dime you with repairs?

I think you still could get $15 to $20k for the car, which might make more sense than hanging onto it. But it's so great to have a back up car, I think I might do the same in your shoes...
cheers,
Marty

That is really great - 30 mile range lost over 8 years? Incredible...

Was it pretty reliable for you over the years, or was it starting to nickel and dime you with repairs?

I think you still could get $15 to $20k for the car, which might make more sense than hanging onto it. But it's so great to have a back up car, I think I might do the same in your shoes...
cheers,
Marty
The only “nickel and dime”ing has been the three or for door handles I’ve had to replace over the last 6-3/4 years (I was out of warranty after 15 months).

Other than that. I’ve had two windshields replaced, a few sets of tires, wipers, wiper fluid and a wiper fluid reservoir which was gnawed through by a rodent. One 12V battery. Pretty minor stuff for a car with 240k miles.

I only wish I could use it like an F150 Lightning as a backup power source for the house when the power goes out.

I am also in a similar situation on my P90D - my warranty is out Dec 31st this year. Earlier this year (Jan) I was at 250 miles @100%, now I am at 220 miles @100%. I have the gen 1 90kwh battery and Tessie has me @69.7kWh max capacity dropping way off the fleet average (but I know this is a guess). The next step is to get a reading on Scanmytesla and look at cell drift.

I am also worried as my battery has held up really well over the years, but this year just dropped off precipitously. I am on the orig battery and LDU (at least the SDU is a worry off your plate.) so I have been thinking to get a "checkup" before the warranty is up and see if anything comes up.

I am also in a similar situation on my P90D - my warranty is out Dec 31st this year. Earlier this year (Jan) I was at 250 miles @100%, now I am at 220 miles @100%. I have the gen 1 90kwh battery and Tessie has me @69.7kWh max capacity dropping way off the fleet average (but I know this is a guess). The next step is to get a reading on Scanmytesla and look at cell drift.

I am also worried as my battery has held up really well over the years, but this year just dropped off precipitously. I am on the orig battery and LDU (at least the SDU is a worry off your plate.) so I have been thinking to get a "checkup" before the warranty is up and see if anything comes up.

I'd recommend you go on a road trip where you deplete / supercharge the battery as many times as you've got time for (get to 8%, charge to 85%).

My 90D (2016 pre facelift, early battery) with 92k miles has a capacity of about 265 miles. I'm going to be off battery warranty in March 2024.

Reactions: GammaDelta