Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S P90D Supercharging Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased a used 2015 P90D thru Tesla's used car program. We have had issues getting the car to connect at the Superchargers. For the most part we've had to plug/unplug several times (upwards of 8-10 times) before it will start charging. The charging port changes to solid blue when we insert the charger and then quickly cycles thru flashing blue to solid blue and then eventually says "Charging stopped". This usually adds 15-20mins to a visit at the SC station. This morning I couldn't wait any longer and left without charging. We have an appointment with the Service Center this week but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues similar to this We can charge just fine at home with the wall plug. We are feeling frustrated and irritated with the issue. The car was built 10/15 and we are running V9.0 2018.50.6

My 2016 90D had the master charger fail as well, but no amount of plugging and unplugging could get the charging to start. But consider yourself lucky, mine happened 160 miles from home, with a state of charge of less than 15%, 150 miles from the nearest service center, at the beginning of a 1000 mile trip.

After an hour and a half of trouble shooting on the phone, we moved to a nearby destination charger, spent over 4 hours there, and then stopped at a hotel part way back and charged overnight. It took the service center 3 days to confirm it was the master charger.

I must say though that Tesla came through, rented us a car for two weeks and paid for the gas so we could continue our trip. I make sure to test supercharging now before leaving on a long trip.

Hmm
The onboard chargers have nothing to do with supercharging, DC power bypasses the chargers and goes straight into the battery.
You are correct that supercharging bypasses the AC converter. But in this case, as in mine, while the car would not supercharge, we could still charge on AC, the opposite of the usual case. I was told that a component called the master charger had failed. This set of electronics apparently controls the flow of high voltage DC to the battery. Once it was replaced, supercharging was again possible.

Hmm
The onboard chargers have nothing to do with supercharging, DC power bypasses the chargers and goes straight into the battery.

I've also read the Supercharger 'talks' to the onboard charger and then bypasses it. But to be honest, I don't know much about the mechanics of it all, I was just sharing what the Service Center documented in the paperwork and what they pre-diagnosed the problem before we brought the car in for service. We can Supercharge now, so whatever they did appears to have fixed the issue.