Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 MS P85d Black Screen of Death

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Well I’ve just experienced the dreaded black screen of death for my main touchscreen on my MS p85d.

£3k to sort out but thankfully under warranty.

I was thinking about buying an X but I would need to be reassured that this wouldn’t be a problem for this car too later down the line.

Does anyone know for sure if the root problem with these screens has ever been fixed hardware- wise ie all screens 2018 onwards should be ok etc?

I might have to dip out of Tesla ownership for a while if not

thanks

There is a lot information on these boards addressing the MCU1 issues. It is thought that the main culprit is excessive log writing to a memory chip that is not designed to handle this kind of read/writes over time. Many of these issues have been corrected in MCU2 which was released in Mid 2018 I think.

I think the code has been changed to not read/write as much as it used to. So the issue should be less common.

Thanks Guys
I was planning to sell the MS in the next few months anyway and get an X but this problem has me concerned. But it sounds like if I get a 2018 onwards then I stand a fighting chance.

I still have a year Tesla warranty as it was a CPO car so thankfully this won’t cost me this toke around

At COMDEX 1999, Bill Gates compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: “If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”
In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:
"
If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

"For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.... When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on..."

See the complete response of General Motors here: