Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 S85D doesn't have "Stopping Mode" settings feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By “stopping mode” I assume you are referring to when you brake and the car stays in brake after releasing the pedal. I always chalked it up as a hardware feature cause my 2014 model S has never been able to and my 2018 model X can.

The hold feature is only because the later dual motor models have a permanent magnet in the front motor. It is not available on models that do not have this feature on dual motor Tesla's, and is not available for any single motor Tesla to my knowledge.

I was referring to a group of settings, which the Owner's Manual for 2020.20 (not current) referred to as "Stopping Mode" on the (then) "Controls > Driving" settings page. That terminology isn't in the current 2022.44 manual. Regardless, evidently current cars have a "Hold" setting which makes Vehicle Hold automatic when stopped. My 85D has "Vehicle Hold" but I must activate it on each stop, if desired, by pressing the brake pedal briefly after stopping. The activated state is indicated by an instrument panel icon.

The hold feature is only because the later dual motor models have a permanent magnet in the front motor. It is not available on models that do not have this feature on dual motor Tesla's, and is not available for any single motor Tesla to my knowledge.
To reiterate, my 85D has "Vehicle Hold" but I must activate it on each stop, if desired, by pressing the brake pedal briefly after stopping. The activated state is indicated by an instrument panel icon. So I reason that the car has whatever hardware, e.g., permanent magnet, is required to implement automatic Vehicle Hold.

To reiterate, my 85D has "Vehicle Hold" but I must activate it on each stop, if desired, by pressing the brake pedal briefly after stopping. The activated state is indicated by an instrument panel icon. So I reason that the car has whatever hardware, e.g., permanent magnet, is required to implement automatic Vehicle Hold.
The Permanent Magnet motor wasn't introduced until the "Raven" model. You have an AC induction front motor, I believe.

Your vehicle does not support that particular Hold feature. You must set the car by applying the brake.
I set hold by tapping on the brake pedal when stopped. Until shown otherwise, I'd say that the software doesn't support the feature. If the feature can be actuated by a tap on the brake pedal when stopped, I don't see how the hardware doesn't support it. As I said above, I guess they didn't want to put a branch in the software to accommodate us with AC induction front motors.

The Permanent Magnet motor stops the car without pushing on the brake. I have never figured out when and how much the car uses the mechanical brake, but I think it may. The car manual states caution that the hold may not work on steep hills, etc. This would indicate that the mechanical brake is not used all the time. I was wondering if you see someone going to hit you in the rear, do the brakes apply hard, like in a Mercedes, to prepare for a crash, or is the only braking supplied by the permanent magnet motor, requiring the driver to manually apply the brake.

The Permanent Magnet motor stops the car without pushing on the brake. I have never figured out when and how much the car uses the mechanical brake, but I think it may. The car manual states caution that the hold may not work on steep hills, etc. This would indicate that the mechanical brake is not used all the time. I was wondering if you see someone going to hit you in the rear, do the brakes apply hard, like in a Mercedes, to prepare for a crash, or is the only braking supplied by the permanent magnet motor, requiring the driver to manually apply the brake.
The Hold feature, aka Vehicle Hold, is a feature that keeps the car stopped without brake pressure after the car has been stopped by other means. Its sole purpose is to relieve the driver from having to apply pedal pressure in order to prevent the stopped car from rolling.

The Hold feature, aka Vehicle Hold, is a feature that keeps the car stopped without brake pressure after the car has been stopped by other means. Its sole purpose is to relieve the driver from having to apply pedal pressure in order to prevent the stopped car from rolling.
Of course. The difference is the original poster can not set the hold feature to automatically apply brakes when the car is stopped. The OP must manually press the brake pedal to engage the Hold feature. OP does not have the setting to automatically do this. My Raven automatically goes into hold when it is stopped.

I have a 2013 MS P85 rear drive. Not too long after getting it, I got an OTA update which added a 2 sec. "hold" upon releasing the brake (only useful on an incline). It has to use the motor since the car can't activate the brakes. I'd love to have that feature work continuously whenever the car is stopped! I don't see any reason why it couldn't work, other than no one cares 😥