Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Sensitivity Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EM CARS

Supporting Member
Jun 26, 2022
Bay Area, CA
Throughout my experience, I have owned a variety of vehicles equipped with automatic rain sensing wipers. While this feature proves useful during inconsistent rainfall, I have noticed that in the Tesla, the wipers tend to act erratically. It is quite bothersome when the auto wipers switch to a high speed even when there is only a light mist on the windshield, especially when the vehicle is stationary. When driving at high speeds, I rarely require continuous low speed wiping as the rain repellent on the glass, along with my PIAA wiper blades, effectively handle the rain. However, there are instances where a light mist from the spray of cars ahead does not roll off easily. I have attempted to utilize some of the pre-programmed intermittent settings, but they activate too frequently, causing inconvenience as I have to press the button each time. A rain sensor should accurately sense the amount of rain on the windshield and adjust the wipers accordingly. I acknowledge that each vehicle and driver may have unique preferences and requirements, making it impossible to have a one-size-fits-all solution. Therefore, I propose the inclusion of a sensitivity setting in AUTO mode, allowing individuals to adjust the wiper sensitivity based on their personal needs or specific scenarios. This setting could range from high sensitivity, which would resemble the current hyperactive state, to low sensitivity, which would ensure the wipers never exceed continuous low speed.

Eddie M
2023 Model 3 Performance

Attachments

• IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0
+1 for this. My previous vehicle (Lexus UX) had 4 sensitivity settings for the auto wipers. Unfortunately, given that adjusting wiper speeds is already a pain, and voice controls are wildly inconsistent (I've had "set wipers to 1" be interpreted as set wipers to max several times), I'm not sure there's an easy way to implement this in its current state.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Therefore, I propose the inclusion of a sensitivity setting in AUTO mode, allowing individuals to adjust the wiper sensitivity based on their personal needs or specific scenarios.

LOL... this *sounds* like manual. 😄

The auto wipers are crap and can't really get better without a real rain sensor. I really wish we could just have good manual settings.

LOL... this *sounds* like manual. 😄

The auto wipers are crap and can't really get better without a real rain sensor. I really wish we could just have good manual settings.
I know it sounds like manual but it’s not hard to implement. Keep the auto settings, but allow the driver to select varying amounts of intensity like every other car out there with rain-sensitive wipers.

Totally agree, over the last year it seems like the auto function has gone from bad to worse. Relying on the touchscreen only is dangerous. I live in Oregon and this is becoming a deal breaker for me, it's a joke, I've actually thought about selling the car this winter because of it, and a few other things (phantom braking anyone?). Unfortunately Elon Musk seems to have badly damaged the value of all Teslas with his online behavior.

kevin_n, do you love your Tesla? I love mine, so there are a few drastic ways around this. Example, remove the Tesla wipers and install wipers from a different vehicle or aftermarket. Mount the wiper switch from the other car to the Tesla dashboard, connect the wiring to your replacement wipers, and enjoy your manual wiper control. Most wipers are a standalone system that don't rely on computers.

As far as phantom braking: I bought a used Model 3 that the owner never paid for Autopilot. That gives me dumb cruise control only, making it impossible to phantom brake. It still has blind spot warning and lane keeping assist.

I can't stand seats that push my neck tilted diagonally down, instead of straight-up inline with my back. So I removed my Tesla power seat, and installed a Honda manual seat. A car is just a shell, you can do anything you want to its guts.😎

Last edited:
I too, thought TACC was standard since 2015 (my 2014 pre-ap has dumb cruise). So I was quite shocked that this 2018 model 3 also has dumb cruise. You're local, I'd be glad to prove it to you in person lol, especially since EVPartsGuy lives in Heinretta and has some spare parts I want to pick up for the model 3.

Before buying, I confirmed with the seller of my 2014 that it has dumb cruise: I had him cover the bumper with a towel (with the edge pinched into the frunk), and Cruise still worked. I tried the same trick with my Model 3, cruise still works, even while the screen is telling me "front sensors blocked or blinded". I carefully got close to a car in front a few times, and it never slowed down, I had to jam on the brakes.
I've also tried setting Forward Collision Warning to Early, Medium, and Late, but it's never warned me. Clean title, not salvage, no accidents.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: father_of_6