Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
First post.
Newish owner of a used model S, a few months out of its warranty.
The driver door handle extends normally but won’t open the door. I’ve read that this is a known wiring issue and that Tesla often repair this for free as a known defect.
Is this the case?
Also, does free supercharging still apply with the CCS modification/adaptor?
Thanks

Been dealing with this for 8 months. For me it was the wiring harness first. White wire on the front end of handle came lose. When I resoldered it, got it too hot and it melted the black heat glue inside the little switch. I put it back together works for about 2 months and then it kept doing this back and forth thing when the handle is extended. Got brand new reinforced harnesses, installed, the handle would extend but it would not open the door :( that's when I realized the main plug for the handle male receptacle. Has four wires that have waterproof orange rubber holds that go into the male plug (pic attached) one of those wires appeared to be connected to the mail receptacle but it wasn't all the way through it's orange rubber sleeve. Reset the orange rubber on
the wire, little dab of gel super glue let dry and EUREKA IT WORKED! The non connected wire was the white with a Brown strip going into the back of male (car) side plug. White and brown wire is the one that unlocks the door mechanism from the mechanical handle switchs. My guess is some of the other wires controlled things like extender. But by now you must know the paddle gear is the #1 problem for non extend. We'll see how long it last.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-024948_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-024948_Video Player.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 52