Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle repair question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Both of my back door handles went. Not presenting when I unlock the car.

Which of these below do I buy if I wanted to try fixing this myself?

Amazon-
Dasbecan Door Handle Repair Kit Upgraded Compatible with Tesla Model S 2012-2017 with Micro Switch Harness Handle Paddle Door Panel Clips Replaces# 1042845-00-A 1042845-00-B 1016009-00-C https://a.co/d/hOrHAAB

Some third party sites I found ....

Or

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

That one off Amazon looks like one I got.

Depends on what your problem is though. If it's the metal pawl that broke like mine then I could hear the motor running continuously in the handle.

Do your handles do anything at all at any time then?

That one off Amazon looks like one I got.

Depends on what your problem is though. If it's the metal pawl that broke like mine then I could hear the motor running continuously in the handle.

Do your handles do anything at all at any time then?
I will have to check back again and report, however, If I recall correctly, One side it does make the motor noise, the other side however, makes no noise at all.

the amazon kit?
Well... I doubt you need the second option which is for door locks. Those are separate from the handles.

The amazon kit should be fine, or you could go for that last option which should be higher quality and last longer. Personally, I decided to just go with the cheap stuff, replace only the broken parts and see how it goes. If it gets really problematic then I may do the higher end stuff or just upgrade to the Gen3 handles.

Well... I doubt you need the second option which is for door locks. Those are separate from the handles.

The amazon kit should be fine, or you could go for that last option which should be higher quality and last longer. Personally, I decided to just go with the cheap stuff, replace only the broken parts and see how it goes. If it gets really problematic then I may do the higher end stuff or just upgrade to the Gen3 handles.
Well, I just went to check, and no noise coming from either of them anymore. What does that mean?

bump on which door handle part I should buy?
So, just to be clear the handles never present at all so the only way in or out of the rear doors is from an inside handle?

It's going to be hard to say for sure until you get in there. Personally, I'd buy the Amazon kit and hopefully it's just a micro switch problem that the harness fixes. But if the motors were making noise and now they're not then it might be a question of needing new motors or maybe a fuse blew or something.

So, just to be clear the handles never present at all so the only way in or out of the rear doors is from an inside handle?

It's going to be hard to say for sure until you get in there. Personally, I'd buy the Amazon kit and hopefully it's just a micro switch problem that the harness fixes. But if the motors were making noise and now they're not then it might be a question of needing new motors or maybe a fuse blew or something.
yeah thats correct , and no motor sound anymore. What does the motor part look like so i can try to see how much it costs? Also, where is the fuse located and how much is that?

yeah thats correct , and no motor sound anymore. What does the motor part look like so i can try to see how much it costs? Also, where is the fuse located and how much is that?
I'm not positive on fuses since they change on year, etc. When mine wouldn't stop on my 15' there was a fuse up under the frunk cover that I pulled to disable the rear handles.

I don't believe they sell just the motors so you'd have to either find a motor or more likely the whole handle assembly on ebay. Until you get it apart it may be a bit tricky to figure out exactly what you have or need. And for the price of a used handle assembly you're getting closer to what others have said Tesla charges to come out and do it...

Going to depend on how much you want to spend and how much you want to dig around and figure stuff out.

How long/how many miles has your car gone through? All different handles?
4 door handles in 183,000 miles over 6 years.
2 window regulators
0 brake pads
5 sets of tires
2 rodent wiring repairs to the rear proximity sensor harness (use Honda rodent tape as a solution)
2 alignments
1 charge port replacement
1 air suspension harness replacement (faulty when new)
2 windshields due to normal rocks and chips

Just count on replacing 1 door handle per year as a close estimate.

Reactions: livesmith
4 door handles in 183,000 miles over 6 years.
2 window regulators
0 brake pads
5 sets of tires
2 rodent wiring repairs to the rear proximity sensor harness (use Honda rodent tape as a solution)
2 alignments
1 charge port replacement
1 air suspension harness replacement (faulty when new)
2 windshields due to normal rocks and chips

Just count on replacing 1 door handle per year as a close estimate.
wtf 5 sets of wheels is good, i went through way more. what rim size? i got 21s

I've repaired one handle myself last year. My motor could be heard, so I guessed it was broken teeth on the paddle. Bought just the paddle on ebay for like $10. Watched a few YT vids, and gave it a try. It was my right front handle, a pain to get to. One particular screw located right where a support brace ran along the door was the toughest. Took out the assembly, found that it was indeed to paddle. Swapped it, re-installed the assembly, and has worked fine since.
Now recently my right rear handle has stopped presenting, but I can still hear the motor trying.
So I'm going to try and repeat my cheap fix success. The paddles on eBay have gone up to $15 now. Stupid inflation.