Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But adding the AP hardware didn't change the look of the car. I don't think you'll find one person that said "but wait, I wanted a car without the AP hardware!!!".

That's not the case delivering a car with a refreshed front end. Although according to the article just posted, it is a "modest" change, so maybe people won't be so surprised or upset loosing the old look. Depends on how modest the change is.

I don't think they're delivering any cars with the refreshed look or features to customers yet. If you're in production now, you're likely getting the "classic" version. You will have to change your order to get the new features/look.

I don't think they're delivering any cars with the refreshed look or features to customers yet. If you're in production now, you're likely getting the "classic" version. You will have to change your order to get the new features/look.

But JSTs and others' argument is that Tesla just makes the changes without any notice or fanfare, and if in fact the cars in the OP do have the new changed front, where are they going?

You're saying that if there is a new nose, there will be a distinct change in ordering to get it.

So which one is it?

But JSTs and others' argument is that Tesla just makes the changes without any notice or fanfare, and if in fact the cars in the OP do have the new changed front, where are they going?

You're saying that if there is a new nose, there will be a distinct change in ordering to get it.

So which one is it?

It's a big question - I'm curious to see how it plays out. I ordered prior to the refresh and take delivery well after so it's definitely relevant to my interests.

So which one is it?

Correct. My guess is that if you order a car now, today, you will get a car with a revised nose. That is just a guess, obviously, but I'm going to stand by it. I will also guess that if your order is pending, you'll get the new features (whatever they are) without having to change your order or give Tesla extra money.

There are a couple of reasons to think this:

1) Tesla isn't going to keep two different versions in production. Once they switch, they switch. That both makes logical sense and is borne out by prior history. See, e.g., the addition of power folding mirrors, which was a flash-cut change that applied even to people that ordered the car without them (and for which you didn't have to pay, if you had a pending order).

2) Tesla isn't going to set a date certain by which, if you order, you get the old nose. That would create a stock of instantly out-of-date cars, which then Tesla would have to do something to try and sell (like other makers do with year-old products).

3) No one would have wanted a car without AP hardware--but plenty of people (including me) might have wanted a P85, and those were killed without fanfare or warning. Same is true of other minor revisions.

4) Some small percentage of people will be unhappy about this, but that is a smaller problem than having a bunch of "old" cars that you have to sell after the new one drops.

You can come back and mock me on, say, May 1, if it turns out I am wrong.

So which one is it?

Potentially going to showrooms to replace the Classic model.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Makes sense to upgrade it before Model 3 hits the market. Though upping the price may not the best course of action.

I'm one of those that have wanted an S for forever but they've just been a more than I've wanted to spend with the options I would want. I've preordered a 3 but have been itching to cancel it and just bite the bullet and get a base model S instead.

If they raise the price it will solidify my wait for the 3. I'm sure I'm not alone in those 'this close' to biting the bullet.

I'm one of those that have wanted an S for forever but they've just been a more than I've wanted to spend with the options I would want. I've preordered a 3 but have been itching to cancel it and just bite the bullet and get a base model S instead.

If they raise the price it will solidify my wait for the 3. I'm sure I'm not alone in those 'this close' to biting the bullet.
I'm right there with you!

Though upping the price may not the best course of action.

I agree with you on upping the 'base price'. I suspect they will upgrade the base trim level....

As examples:
  • No more Multi-Pattern Seats offered, just Next Gen or Ventilated.
  • Premium Interior becomes standard (but instead of a $3k option price, just raise base price by $2k)
So what I suspect might happen is the base price will go up, but value will go up too (unless you were dead-set on the base model with no options).

• Informative
Reactions: musicious

I'm right there with you!

A lot us who never wanted large luxury cars or couldn't afford to without stretching the budget will automatically get a Model 3. Raising the price or not differentiating the cars enough would only increase the "defection" rate. But I'm sure Tesla will be fine. As Steve Jobs said: “If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will."

See, e.g., the addition of power folding mirrors, which was a flash-cut change that applied even to people that ordered the car without them (and for which you didn't have to pay, if you had a pending order).
Minor correction. I ordered in September 2013 and about a month later Tesla introduced the power folding mirrors. I called and requested that they be included with my order, and was charged about $250 for the power mirrors. I was happy to pay it.

Reactions: MrBoylan
A lot us who never wanted large luxury cars or couldn't afford to without stretching the budget will automatically get a Model 3. Raising the price or not differentiating the cars enough would only increase the "defection" rate. But I'm sure Tesla will be fine. As Steve Jobs said: “If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will."

I don't disagree. Truth be told I'm pretty satisfied with my decision to wait as I can get an almost fully loaded 3, presumably, without knowing all options or pricing, for what the base model S would be.

The only way that would change is if the wait for the 3 production gets pushed back considerably.

Minor correction. I ordered in September 2013 and about a month later Tesla introduced the power folding mirrors. I called and requested that they be included with my order, and was charged about $250 for the power mirrors. I was happy to pay it.

Yes...but I also ordered in Sept. 2013, and when I saw news about the power folding mirrors being added, I rolled the dice and figured they wouldn't build cars anymore without them. I didn't call, didn't pay anything extra, and still got the mirrors.

Reactions: MSullivan
YES! Great scoop WestCoastP85D. Bye, bye gaping fish mouth! It was nice knowing you... NOT. I really hope this refresh also brings autopilot 2.0 hardware. If so, it may be time for me to upgrade.

I also think these are showroom cars for the future orders since the article says that "Tesla is cleaning out the last of the previous generation's production parts." I don't see how they can give someone a different looking car than what was ordered. But who knows?

To me, this part absolutely confirms it:

"We always encourage those interested in purchasing Model S to place their order so they can start enjoying the many benefits of Model S today."

Reading between the lines, that means "perhaps hold off for now".

Last edited: