Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S (after refresh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a Model Y and the only complaint I have is the ride quality and sound it makes on local roads. I've test driven the Model S and both the wife and I really liked it quite a bit but I could not justify the steep cost. Recently I've seen prices on used Model S that are starting to tempt me again. I'm just a little worried as to the reason these have been given up -- are there issues with a used model S that I should be especially on the look out for? I'm not super picky about aesthetics (not picky at all really) but I just don't want to take on someone else's problem.

Anyone here semi-regret going from a Y to an S? I know it's a much bigger car and not as sporty but I think I'm okay with that. Is paying 75K for a 2021 post refresh plaid with 13k miles crazy or a decent deal?

One last question -- if I get an S with USS sensors do I still get vision parking assist? I've actually grown to like the Vision parking after being super down on it at first.

I bought a 2021 Model S Plaid refresh with 16k miles from CarMax in August 2023.
It had a clean service record and I took it for a test drive.
I've put 6k miles on it and haven't had any issues.
So I got a good one.
The Rule of Thumb with a Tesla is if it makes it to 2 years with no issues it's a good one.

Also FYI I had to take it to a Tesla Service Center to change the gearbox fluid that Tesla recommends at 12k miles.
If it hasn't been changed a message will show up on the dash to remind you.
Tesla said they updated the software because of the fluid change.
I would highly recommend changing the gearbox fluid.

Last edited:
Just curious, subject mentions Model S. Do you really want the plaid? Even better deals to be had on just a plain ol’ Model S after refresh.
I really wasn't thinking Plaid, but I just happened to see one with full self driving and that got me intrigued -- I have seen some good deals on non-plaids as well and if I did do this I have a feeling that might win out in the end.

I bought a 2021 Model S Plaid refresh with 16k miles from CarMax in August 2023.
It had a clean service record and I took it for a test drive.
I've put 6k miles on it and haven't had any issues.
So I got a good one.
The Rule of Thumb with a Tesla is if it makes it to 2 years with no issues it's a good one.

Also FYI I had to take it to a Tesla Service Center to change the gearbox fluid that Tesla recommends at 12k miles.
If it hasn't been changed a message will show up on the dash to remind you.
Tesla said they updated the software because of the fluid change.
I would highly recommend changing the gearbox fluid.
That's kind of my fear, that I'm more likely to get one of the non-good ones buying used as obviously someone decided not to keep it. Probably, a paranoid fear, but it's there.

Congrats on the car, though!

That's kind of my fear, that I'm more likely to get one of the non-good ones buying used as obviously someone decided not to keep it. Probably, a paranoid fear, but it's there.

Congrats on the car, though!

Some Teslas are problematic new.
Run a check of the VIN Here.
This is a non Tesla non biased site but paying for a report is well worth it.
Not sure the cost but can't be too much.

The Tesla vehicle history report will find the previous history of the vehicle which can assist you in making an informed purchase. The Tesla VIN report includes detailed historical data of the vehicle including former owners, recalls, vehicle’s accident history, sales record, loan and lien records, and repair history. This information can assist you in making a better evaluation of the vehicle based on the current market trends. By using our Tesla VIN decoder, you can get more information than another VIN report service at much cheaper rates. Our Tesla VIN report includes in-depth data of the past auctions of the vehicle along with auction photos. This service is only available in our advanced Tesla VIN lookup tool. A correct evaluation can save you money and time spent on future repairs, documentation, and verifications.

How to check service and repair history of Tesla?​

Service history is often overlooked by prospective buyers. But, Tesla service history check could indicate the health of the vehicle accurately. Tesla that had regular service over the years will cost you less in service and minor repairs. Also, the parts replacement cost will be low for Tesla that had timely service in the past. The engine performance and longevity can be preserved through proper servicing and maintenance. Using our Tesla vehicle service history by VIN, you can learn about the services completed on time and can evaluate the health and performance of the car. Our Tesla VIN tool uses latest reports from auctions, dealerships, and garages to provide correct and up-to-date information.

CarMax told me the car I purchased had a clean history so I didn't use this service but if I had known about it back in August 2023 I would have.
As it is my MSP has been problem free.
The only thing I did being Mr Handicraft was to fill around the windshield with black silicone which fixed my highway wind noise.
I had bought a 23.00 kit which is a big hollow rubber band that goes around the sunroof and front top windshield
but it kept coming out.

Then I cleaned it up and went over it a second time and down the sides.

Last edited:
can you give some examples here?

what if the car is under limited warranty for another 15k-25k miles? and powertrain warranty of 100k+ remaining?

Sure.

1) Horrible levels of distortion in the windshield right in front of your view and/or your passenger's view, including "fisheye" effects that are incredibly distracting that Tesla absolutely refuses to fix under warranty.
2) Unsightly rear hatch alignment issues that Tesla refuses to fix under warranty because they have to remove the rear glass, which is glued to the car and drop the headliner. In my case, the car was welded together crooked so I was able to adjust it myself but could never make it industry-standard for gaps because the lid would never fit properly on all sides.
3) Massively annoying gear noise from the drive unit that makes a milling noise in low speed and a high pitch buzzer-like noise at high speed and it comes and goes to be extra annoying as you adjust your speed to the traffic. It even makes the noise in neutral, so no, it's not the electrons doing their things, it's Tesla's crappy gears and bearings, but they absolutely refuse to fix it under warranty.

Sure.

1) Horrible levels of distortion in the windshield right in front of your view and/or your passenger's view, including "fisheye" effects that are incredibly distracting that Tesla absolutely refuses to fix under warranty.
2) Unsightly rear hatch alignment issues that Tesla refuses to fix under warranty because they have to remove the rear glass, which is glued to the car and drop the headliner. In my case, the car was welded together crooked so I was able to adjust it myself but could never make it industry-standard for gaps because the lid would never fit properly on all sides.
3) Massively annoying gear noise from the drive unit that makes a milling noise in low speed and a high pitch buzzer-like noise at high speed and it comes and goes to be extra annoying as you adjust your speed to the traffic. It even makes the noise in neutral, so no, it's not the electrons doing their things, it's Tesla's crappy gears and bearings, but they absolutely refuse to fix it under warranty.
hmm that's a long list

if you had the choice between a 2024 model 3 new and a 2021-2022 35-45k mile car I'm assuming you'd advise the new car?

I would disagree with that advice hands down. I just did what you are thinking about - bought a 22 S Plaid for about the same price as a brand new S LR, which I also considered and is probably plenty fast anyway. However - I love everything about my car - and Plaid is incredible. Not sure why people would hang out on a Tesla forum just to rip the cars and discourage others from buying. Life is short - get the one that excites you, it will still be under warranty for a while, and go enjoy it. Any used car might have issues, but I have never in my life bought a brand new car and either I have been incredibly lucky or cars are just made way better these days. The Plaid is unreal and I am very happy with my decision. I have zero glass distortion, the common slight hatch fitment issues (who cares), and no weird sounds at all.

I would disagree with that advice hands down. I just did what you are thinking about - bought a 22 S Plaid for about the same price as a brand new S LR, which I also considered and is probably plenty fast anyway. However - I love everything about my car - and Plaid is incredible. Not sure why people would hang out on a Tesla forum just to rip the cars and discourage others from buying. Life is short - get the one that excites you, it will still be under warranty for a while, and go enjoy it. Any used car might have issues, but I have never in my life bought a brand new car and either I have been incredibly lucky or cars are just made way better these days. The Plaid is unreal and I am very happy with my decision. I have zero glass distortion, the common slight hatch fitment issues (who cares), and no weird sounds at all.
I bought a used 2021 Model S Plaid with 16k miles and it is the most exciting car I have ever owned. I had the recommended fluid change done at a Tesla service center but I have had ZERO issues with it in 7k miles.
No clunks or vibrations or weird sounds.
The Plaid is a Specialty Car with it's dragster like acceleration and I bought mine for that and not because it was a Tesla.
I also have a BMW iX M60 EV SUV with 600 hp that I bought in Dec 2022.
The Plaid is the EV equivalent of the Classic American Muscle Car with a big engine in a production car sedan.

And as to the glass distortion put a small crack in the lower right corner and get it replaced with your insurance glass coverage.
Otherwise if you get a Lemon trade it in for another vehicle..

Last edited:
Reactions: redt3sla
I bought a used 2021 Model S Plaid with 16k miles and it is the most exciting car I have ever owned. I had the recommended fluid change done at a Tesla service center but I have had ZERO issues with it in 7k miles.
No clunks or vibrations or weird sounds.
The Plaid is a Specialty Car with it's dragster like acceleration and I bought mine for that and not because it was a Tesla.
I also have a BMW iX M60 EV SUV with 600 hp that I bought in Dec 2022.
The Plaid is the EV equivalent of the Classic American Muscle Car with a big engine in a production car sedan.

And as to the glass distortion put a small crack in the lower right corner and get it replaced with your insurance glass coverage.
Otherwise if you get a Lemon trade it in for another vehicle..
Hey, I have received a service alert on my 2021 S Plaid with about 10k miles. The service alert is recommending gearbox fluid service.

When you got yours did you get this alert too? Or did you just book the service in anticipation of it being needed. I’m a bit worried now because it’s used and everything looked perfect and my old model 3 had no issues. I just got the flag today and have booked a service appointment. Hopefully it’s just a minor issue. Thanks for your post!

Hey, I have received a service alert on my 2021 S Plaid with about 10k miles. The service alert is recommending gearbox fluid service.

When you got yours did you get this alert too? Or did you just book the service in anticipation of it being needed. I’m a bit worried now because it’s used and everything looked perfect and my old model 3 had no issues. I just got the flag today and have booked a service appointment. Hopefully it’s just a minor issue. Thanks for your post!
The alert was there at the bottom of the dash when I bought the car at Carmax.
The car had 16k miles on it so it had been on for a while.

Do you recall how long the service center needed your car when they did the repair? And was it under warranty?

Thanks!!
It was a bit of an adventure.
The fluid change is covered under the warranty.
The car had a screw in the rear tire when I got it that Carmax had somehow missed.
I patched it with the licorice type repair kit and it was fine for 2 weeks.
Then on my way to the Tesla Service center that was 60 miles away at the 30 mile mark the patch blew out just before a service center that I was able to pull into.
I called AAA and they flat bedded me to the Tesla center.
I got there at 2 pm.
Tesla was done by 5 pm but they couldn't get the software updated so they gave me a Model X courtesy car to drive home.
They had the car ready by 8:30 the next morning and also replaced the tire for 630.00 and installed a new tail light I had bought on ebay for no charge because the driver trunk one had condensation.
I blamed Carmax for the blown tire and they cut me a check for 1160.00 for the tire and the 430.00 tail light they had said they would replace when i bought the car.

So I would say 3-4 hrs to change the fluid.

Last edited: