Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S wants to leave road when Autosteer engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proud new owner of a used 2016 Model S 90D. Still figuring things out.

When I turn on Autosteer by pulling the stalk towards me twice, the car veers hard right. To keep it in from leaving the road I have to redirect the steering wheel so much that it immediately disengages the Autosteer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Display shows good lane recognition and current alignment is good. But once I turn on Autopilot it wants to go right, almost like it thinks to the right is actually straight. Can I reset camera calibration myself? I have AP 1.0 and don't have the menu option: Controls -> Service -> Camera Calibration.

Before I picked up the car the alignment was pulling to the right, but the non-Tesla dealer had an alignment done somewhere and fixed it. I don't know if that could be related to this problem?

I use AP1 all the time, and I noticed this same behavior on Tuesday. My car had never done this before.

I don't know what caused it or what cleared it up, but the fault only lasted about 15-20 minutes and then reverted back to normal again. I suspect something was obscuring the AP camera that got blown off. But that's just a guess.

Proud new owner of a used 2016 Model S 90D. Still figuring things out.

When I turn on Autosteer by pulling the stalk towards me twice, the car veers hard right. To keep it in from leaving the road I have to redirect the steering wheel so much that it immediately disengages the Autosteer.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Does it make a beeline for the right lane marker then correct itself to stay between the lines or does it continue to pull off the road?
What software version are you running? Some older versions exhibited this behavior (pulled right then corrected) but I haven’t had that happen in about 2 years.

I would do the 4 finger reboot and see it that helps. (press both scroll wheels and the buttons
above them at the same time and hold for about 10 sec then release. Both screens will go black and then restart)

You cannot calibrate the camera in that model, it needs to be brought to the service center.